Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I was just wondering what kind of detector would be recommended for Beach Hunting in Florida. I own a Garrett GTI-2500 that I bought last year for relics/coins around Wisconsin. I've never beach hunted before. I'm planning a few distant business trips to Florida and want to make sure I bring the right detector.

Anybody using a GTI-2500 for beach hunting?!

Thanks!!!

TS

Upvote 0

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
I was on the beach last spring with a lady from PA. that was using the next model down from your's ( I think 1350) she was in the dry sand areas and seemed pleased with her results.
If you want to go into the wet sand or surf line I can't answer you that, but I don't think I've heard of a salt mode on that machine. Sounds like Lonewolf could help on this one, I think he's replied to 2500 questions before.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and mainly hunt the beach. I use a Minelab Quattro and it works excellent in the wet and dry sand. Prepare to dig deep is you chose one!

Just my 2 cents.

HH 8) surfrat

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used 4 different detectors on the beach in Florida. By the way, I live in Missouri but live to detect Florida beaches. I've used 3 different Whites and a Minelab Excalibur 800.

Whites Classic ID. I put a couple of plastic liners around the control box, but still wouldn't recommend it or any detector that isn't made to get wet. I got just a couple of drops of salt water in the control box and and to spend bucks to have it cleaned.

I've owned and detected with White's Beach hunter ID, White's Surfmaster P.I., and a Miinelab Excalibur 800. I traded my beach hunter and surfmaster in for an Excalibur 800 and I love it's performance. The Excalibur works through 17 frequencies as you detect. I've never had adjust threshold once it's set.i

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my 2500 on a freshwater beach recently and it did great except for some black sand that caused a lot of noise. After doing a manual grouind balance I was able to clear up the static and it did extremely well. The coil itself can be submerged and would be good for working shallow tidal pools. It would pick up a coin at 9+ inches which is plenty good for beach detecting. Just don't forget your saltwater elim feature. I use my Sea Hunter MarkII in the water and my 2500 on the beach so I can discriminate out all the buried aluminum cans. JIM

OP
OP
T

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everybody.

I'm trying to avoid buying a new detector as I just got this one about a year ago -- I was planning on eventually buying an underwater detector at some point in the future -- but at this point I don't need one.

I am pretty sure there is a salt mode on my detector -- will have to read the book again.

TS

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just scroll through your menu, you'll come to salt elimination , then hit your rt. hand plus button and it will tell you, "Salt elimination on".? It's just an on/off option, not something you can set.? ? JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread