hammered gold?????

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I went hunting today in a new place that was loaded with old change. The kind that is so corroded you can only tell what it might be from the size.
I found this pretty deep. It was black when I pulled it out. I did some mild electrolysis and I would bet it's gold. It won't stick to a magnet and I scraped it in a small spot and it just made it even shinier.

Any ways it looks to be hammered. My only guess is an old hammered earring. Anyone else have any ideas?
The first pic is so you can tell how large and thin it is. Not the best pics, my camera is very picky about lighting.
full.jpg

closebest.jpg

See the dimples?
close1.jpg

close2.jpg

clos3.jpg

close4.jpg

Upvote 0

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Very interesting find you have. I'm interested to see what the experts think.

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Looks like gold. I've seen black nuggets so it's not beyond gold to turn black in the right conditions. Interesting whatever it is :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
ArkieGold said:
Looks like gold. I've seen black nuggets so it's not beyond gold to turn black in the right conditions. Interesting whatever it is :thumbsup:

I think it might have been black from the mud, it was way down deep in some nasty black mud. I would think any other metal would have been corroded badly.

D

digum smacks

first acid test it to see if its gold my first thought is brass.doesnt look like gold also if it was black more doubtful gold.lesser kt gold turns a little dark but if it was black hmmmmmmmmm gl.

OP
OP
S

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
digum smacks said:
first acid test it to see if its gold my first thought is brass.doesnt look like gold also if it was black more doubtful gold.lesser kt gold turns a little dark but if it was black hmmmmmmmmm gl.
It was only black because of the thick mud on it, it's almost like clay but very dark. I have an acid test kit on the way. Will post a follow up!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only way to know for sure is test it, could be gold plated if nothing else. remind me of those big clip on earrings

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Napkin Holder from a ship that sunk.. That's my Guess... Because wouldn't you see an eye hole if it was an earing???

Nice find anyways.

Happy Hunting

Twin Digger

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Would seem a bit awkward to run that blunt end through a small piercing but I'm no earring expert. Looks like that is meant to hang on something though.

I would post it in the "What Is it" forum. Those folks are pretty salty at ID'ing stuff sometimes.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, post it in the "What is it Forum". I'm pretty sure though that it's an earring and an old one at that. Hammered gold is fairly rare today. I'd probably be interested enough to do a little research on the area that you found it. Your local Historical Society and Library should have enough info to let you know if it's worth the time to look a little deeper. Nice find.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions