Wilma projections

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Looking at the marine forecast for the east coast of florida right after Wilma exits into the Atlantic does anyone feel much sand will be moved from the 1715 sites and the area just north of Sebastian Inlet? Thinking Bill in Stuart, Wreckdiver, and Fisheye may have unique insights into our coastal erosion and movement of sand around the inlet area.
I'm thinking Tuesday may be a good day to be out there.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Cobra

Upvote 0

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good question...my initial reaction is that yes, there should be some erosion, but since the storm is moving west to east, the strong waves will last for a couple days as they are still being developed in the Atlantic as Wilma travels NE. Since the storm spins counterclockwise, IF the eye is south of Sebastian, it will produce strong winds blowing onto the beaches north of the eye with some localized erosion...a good thing for th's. BTW my excalibur is charged up and ready to go......

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coastal forecast from Cocoa Beach to Jupiter Inlet is calling for Hurricane force winds on Monday morning out of the N changing to the NE from 75 to 85 MPH with higher gusts becoming NW and decreasing to 40-50 MPH in the afternoon, with seas of 7 to 10 feet.
The Brevard EOC has issued an evacuation order for all mobile homes and manufactured housing in the county. They do not anticipate an evacuation of the barrier islands.
Low Tides for Monday are at 7:39AM and 8:20PM. High Tides for Monday are at 12:59AM and 1:48PM. It appears that the worst of the storm will take place for the coast just before local high tide.
I have elected not to evacuate my home on the barrier island for this storm, and I will be on the beach with the Excalibur 1000, immediately following the worst of the storm. As the winds rotating around the center of the storm become more out of the NE, this is the time that we can expect the most ideal conditions for beach erosion along the coast.
I must issue a word of caution to all treasure hunters who are planning to hunt these beaches during the storm. The situation on the beaches will be extremely dangerous during this time, with high tide, large surf, strong winds and lots of debris in the surf and on the beach.
Safety must always be your first concern during an event such as this. Some things to consider are floatation (a wet suit and a PFD); in the event you get caught in the rip current, Spare Air incase you get pulled under, eye protection from blowing sand and other airborne projectiles. I use a camelback that has 100oz of fresh water and a survival kit that also includes a first aid kit. I would also strongly recommend that you tether your detector to yourself, or you may never see it again.
The forecast for Tuesday is looking outstanding for a day at the beach. Unfortunately, the next high tide will immediately begin depositing sand back on the beach erasing many of the cuts developed during the hurricane. However, I still anticipate a very target rich environment on Tuesday, and new cuts will come and go as NOAA is predicting high surf conditions through Wednesday.
Be safe and happy hunting.

Q

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Thanks Bill and Wreckdiver! I'm betting on the same thing. Some real good safety advice as well. Let me also mention the beach area north of Sebastian Inlet. Here the current beach conditions are that the beach is very narrow and steep.
High tide and hurricane surf make this area dangerous. It is easy to get sweeped into the surf if you don't watch the wave conditions. Lots of heavy debris from walk-overs, constructions, etc. This stuff can easily knock you down, or off balance.
We all focus on the beep-beep sounds but sometimes it is what sneakes up on you from behind that can bite you in the
ass. See you all out there. Be safe! be lucky!

Cobra
PS: Now if I can just afford the gas to get there!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I made a trip to the Treasure Beaches on Tuesday morning, the day after hurricane Wilma. Corrigan's Beach showed no erosion. Indian Shores no erosion. Vero showed little but anything could have washed up. Some finds at Rio Mar. Did not walk to Sandy Point. Tried to drive down AIA to Ft. Pierce but the police said the area was damaged and turned me around at the roadblock, unless I lived there. Must find a way on these beaches after hurricanes. The police are learning how to keep people away from disaster areas.
Met a man from Tampa who found a nice old silver bracelet on Vero South Beach in the surf line near lo tide. Another found a piece of fork. I found what looks like a heavily corroded, probably worthless, looks like silver piece at Rio Mar. I have learned to save everything. Need to put in electrolysis tank when I get electric restored. I am running low on gas for generator.
Picture of Indian River Shores near Vero at other post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,19394.0.html
Also some large timbers washed up, larger diameter than a telephone pole with knotholes and what looks like tar covering most of the wood. No spikes.
Pic of unidentified maybe silver?

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 199

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread