Ring ballpark appraisal

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Jeff may want to take that ring off the banner. It was a disappointment! Granted I only went to one jeweler and would probably get a different answer at each different one I went to but it's enough to satisfy me. I took 4 rings to an upscale jeweler this morning and asked if he could give me a "ballpark" figure before I decided on getting a written appraisal on each of them. The first one was the ring I found yesterday.

Ring12280918kfrontnside.jpg

Yes, it is an 18k ring and has 28 melee diamonds (which means chips) and 3 princess cut diamonds. But he said that it is only worth about 500-700 dollars even with the diamonds. He said one of the jewelry stores down at the mall would probably sell it (new) for 900-1000. The gold if sold for scrap would be about 77 dollars. So I was kind of disappointed but still it is my best find so far and I'll take it!

The second ring was the engagement ring I found yesterday. I was pretty sure it was a fake and he confirmed that. It is a fake.

Ring122809engagementCZ.jpg

The other two were my own personal rings and I was disappointed in those too. My husband paid 1200 dollars for my wedding set as a 40th anniversary present and he said it was not worth that. And another ring that I wear all the time was a gift from my sister and was worth a few hundred. Ah well. I'm not complaining. It was still my best find and Im happy. :wink:

Upvote 0

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
It's a beautiful ring, and it's yours! I know my wife would never let me part with it if I found it! Different jewelers will put a guesstimate on what they think you might be willing to part with said item period. Just like your 2 rings, and I know they have sentimental value to you. But in today's market where everyone is trying to make money fast by giving you pennies on the dollar in this case gold and diamonds. So they can have a large markup or melt it down and wait for the market to go back up again. And the way the economy is going times are tough people are cashing in their gold in record numbers to put some money in their pocket, it's fast and easy way to get some instant cash. Clean and buff up that beautiful ring up and watch it shine and sparkle!!!!!!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Mumzsie,

Yeah, the jewelery business is tough .. most things have a 100% mark up. And diamonds are even worse...anything under 1/4 carat is mostly worthless. >:(

Still that's a BEAUTY of a ring and deserving of the Banner! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

HH Joe

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think you more than deserve the banner with that ring. Those of us who have kept up with your post know what you've gone through. From family illness to the fact you were scared to get in the water alone. Also, don't forget jewelers often give you a price thinking that you might want to sell the item... therefor it's not uncommon to get lowballed even if you claim you just want a ball park figure. It's a great find and you should be very proud.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Hi Mumsize: I would suggest your evaluation you received on your 18K ring was what you paid for it VERY LITTLE..... Yes diamond chips anr basically of no value ..BUT...
At $1100/ oz, 18K scraps out at $26.52 per gram. That ring looks more than 3 grams to me
In my experience, mall jewelry stores are NOT good reliable sources of information. I think most employees in mall jewelry stores are minimum wage part timers.
YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL RING, wear it with pride, or send it to me ....LOL
HH Gayle

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
rsc said:
Hi Mumsize: I would suggest your evaluation you received on your 18K ring was what you paid for it VERY LITTLE..... Yes diamond chips anr basically of no value ..BUT...
At $1100/ oz, 18K scraps out at $26.52 per gram. That ring looks more than 3 grams to me
In my experience, mall jewelry stores are NOT good reliable sources of information. I think most employees in mall jewelry stores are minimum wage part timers.
YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL RING, wear it with pride, or send it to me ....LOL
HH Gayle

Hmmmm at that rate... $26.52 times 8 grams it should bring over 200 dollars just as scrap. I did not take it to a mall store but a reputable store or so I've been told. Anyway I'm happy with it - a little disappointed that it didn't turn out to the the thousands I was dreaming of but still.... I'm happy with it. ;D

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
You can bet the origional owner paid thousands for it. BUT we all know jewelry is one of the biggest margin comodities out there. DeBeers and others have done a great sales job, while limiting the flow of diamonds and pumping the gold price out tf site......
Still...A beautiful ring, you have there lady........ HH Gayle

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The gold if sold for scrap would be about 77 dollars"
don't trust that guy!!!! 18kt gold@8 grams= $210.00 as checked at 4:31 pm today!! diamond chips are about $12.00 each(according to a guy i went to)..28@$12.00=$336.00
$210.00+$336.00(scrap value)=$546.00 plus the three princess cut diamonds????
he would probably give you 5 or 6 hundred then sell it for $2000.00 or $2500.00
hope some experts will weigh in on the rings true value! again, GREAT FIND!!!!!! :icon_thumright:
chuck.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should stay on the banner, that is a heck of a ring to find anytime and right now pickings are slim.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the value of your first excellent ring could never have a price tag put on it.

That being said, we all now know that you have "paid your dues". The rest will come a lot easier now that the first "nitro" moment has passed.

Ralph

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumsie, I am more then willing to give you $80 for the ring..... ;D Scrap value of the gold in your ring is a lot more then any $77, maybe that is what he would give you, but it is worth more then that if you scrap it. If you want to scrap it, either remove the diamonds before you send it, or request they be returned back to you. jewelerdave on TN would be a good source, and I believe he would return the damonds to you, but it is always better to send in more then one. Hold it till you get more rings then send them in together...... YOu save the diamonds then when you have a bunch yo can have a ring custom made for you and you acan also use some of your own gold....

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Treasure_Hunter said:
Mumsie, I am more then willing to give you $80 for the ring..... ;D Scrap value of the gold in your ring is a lot more then any $77, maybe that is what he would give you, but it is worth more then that if you scrap it. If you want to scrap it, either remove the diamonds before you send it, or request they be returned back to you. jewelerdave on TN would be a good source, and I believe he would return the damonds to you, but it is always better to send in more then one. Hold it till you get more rings then send them in together...... YOu save the diamonds then when you have a bunch yo can have a ring custom made for you and you acan also use some of your own gold....

Good idea Marty but I don't plan on selling it anyway. Maybe some day but not anytime soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread