Im sold on Excal!!

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
I'm sold on Excal!!

Today I tried out a friend's excal & I'm totally sold on it. He threw down a gold ring, silver ring, some coins & I threw down a coat hanger type metal piece, in the dirt. The excal would not sound on the metal junk. And it gave distinctive different sounds on the gold, silver, and coins.

I am going to buy a Excal. It works great underwater as well as on land. My friend is a very knowledgeable & experienced metal detector hobbyist.

skt

p.s. Thanks TH!! :headbang:

Upvote 0

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm sold on Excal!!

You cant go wrong
Might consider a straight shaft for it. I tried both and the shaft that comes with it was very tiring out of the water

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

sandsifter said:
You cant go wrong
Might consider a straight shaft for it. I tried both and the shaft that comes with it was very tiring out of the water

Thank you for your info. He had done a nice custom job on his excal & he had a straight shaft & a wot coil on it. He will help me with getting a straight shaft.

I was very impressed with the machine. It just seems like one of the best water & land machines available. To be able to have no tone on junk metal is great to me. And the different tones on the gold, silver, coins, etc.. was very good.

skt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FloridaTreasureFinder,

It was a pleasure meeting you and I REALLY appreciate the "care package" you brought me.

The loss of tone on iron is called "nulling".

FTF had never seen an Excal, so I took my Excal 1500 (Has the WOT Coil On it) mounted on my custom straight shaft with me to show her what a Excal was like. I laid on the ground a quarter, dime, nickel, a penny, a black hills gold ring, 10k gold ring, and 14 k gold ring with an iron wire through the 14k gold ring and showed her the different tones they produce and how the Excal would null one direction on the iron, but when you turn 90 degrees and sweep it again it give a good tone for the gold ring after giving a null on the iron sticking through the ring... As Excal owners know, when you get a null you should always do a 90 turn and sweep the null again to see if you get a different signal on the null.

It was a pleasure meeting you and having lunch together......... :icon_thumright:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was nice of ya.... don't for get spring break is around the corner... I'll give ya a call maybe we can find the gold...

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

S.S.Tupperware said:
That was nice of ya.... don't for get spring break is around the corner... I'll give ya a call maybe we can find the gold...

Sounds good girl! I'd love to go hunting with you, and perhaps your mom would be ready to hunt by then, I hope. I will get a excal one way or the other by mid march. I may use some of my tax refund for it. :)

Susan

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Hi Treasure_Hunter. Thank you for coming out to lunch and showing me your excal. I am very excited to get one. Thanks for all your help too. You're welcome on the care pkg too. :laughing7:

I plan to post "wanted" excal in two forums today. I did some searching, found a new in box on ebay for about $1200. I heard that the excal is on backorder from some places??

As we spoke about yesterday, a good used one would be preferred. I have my tax refund coming by mid march, so I have set aside some funds for it. That's after I pay my property taxes first, lol. But I'll have some left over to get a excal.

Thanks again for all your help. And your detailed info on the rings you used in demo is good. I can't remember that good some details, lol...

I tried to register for the treasure depot but have not been successful. I will email the webmaster.

ttyl, susan, and my dogs kelly & tinky

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure Hunter, Good move on the on site help. Treasure finder, Good choice........joe

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Re: Nut's

I use an Excaliber, but was using the standard nuts holding on the knob protective cover and the arm cuff. I was always loosing them, I finally switched to using the Nuts with nylon insert's and haven't had to replace any in 2 years. goldnugget-Charlotte,N C

Attachments

• John Ball T-Sihirt Treasure Hunter.jpg
    John Ball T-Sihirt Treasure Hunter.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 522
  • John Ball T-Sihirt Treasure Hunter.jpg
    John Ball T-Sihirt Treasure Hunter.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 515

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI

Well I guess I'm going to find out what all the hype is all about concerning these excal machines. I just bought a used Excal 1000 from a fellow club member. So for the next couple of evenings I will be doing some air tests to learn the multitude of sounds this thing is sopose to make. I am anxious to get to the beach with it too.

HH
Digger

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra

Is the excel 800 vs the excel 1000
would you rather have the smaller coil or the bigger one?
i think the smaller one would be easier to pin-point the target?
and easier to swing it under-water
What do you recommend?
I am 100% sure im getting the excel!
This week

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

X-Splenda said:
What do you recommend?
This week

Just my personal opinion, but when your hunting a beach, unless it is real trashy you want a larger coil, I installed the WOT coil on one of my Excals, basically making it an Excal 1500. I have hunted the beach with a waterproofed Sovereign GT for use in the surf with the WOT coil for 2 years, and with a standard Sovereign GT with the WOT coilfor 3 years, and I very highly recommend the bigger coil. I regularly dig targets over 12 inches, many targets over 14 inches with the WOT, and I can cover much more beach in the time I am there then I can with the 10 inch stock coil, how much more then the 8 inch stock coil....

Name of the game is to cover as much beach area as possible in the time you have to hunt and to still go detect deep, that is what you get with the Excal and WOT coil combination........ If you have a new Excal, you can't use a WOT with out voiding your warranty, so the next best thing is the 10 inch coil.....

Good luck and good hunting.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Treasure_Hunter said:
X-Splenda said:
What do you recommend?
This week

Just my personal opinion, but when your hunting a beach, unless it is real trashy you want a larger coil, I installed the WOT coil on one of my Excals, basically making it an Excal 1500. I have hunted the beach with a waterproofed Sovereign GT for use in the surf with the WOT coil for 2 years, and with a standard Sovereign GT with the WOT coilfor 3 years, and I very highly recommend the bigger coil. I regularly dig targets over 12 inches, many targets over 14 inches with the WOT, and I can cover much more beach in the time I am there then I can with the 10 inch stock coil, how much more then the 8 inch stock coil....

Name of the game is to cover as much beach area as possible in the time you have to hunt and to still go detect deep, that is what you get with the Excal and WOT coil combination........ If you have a new Excal, you can't use a WOT with out voiding your warranty, so the next best thing is the 10 inch coil.....

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 437
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 560

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

erikk said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
X-Splenda said:
What do you recommend?
This week

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

OOOPPS, sorry.............No it sucks....... :laughing9:

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

:hello2: wooo hooo!! Today I put a $200 deposit down on my new Excal. I'm getting a brand new one, a excal II 1000 which means the stock 10" coil, and it has the upgraded rechargable battery set up too. I am saving some money on the cost of the unit and the shipping.

I will be taking delivery on my excal mid march.

Now that I'm mostly done with my pump house project (just need to apply last piece of sheet metal) I can take my new excal & run to the beaches and other hunting places with it.

:icon_sunny: See you at the beach!!

Susan, and my salty trucker dogs, Kelly Louise & Tinky Dinky.... :laughing9:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Florida Sand Digger said:
Well I guess I'm going to find out what all the hype is all about concerning these excal machines. I just bought a used Excal 1000 from a fellow club member. So for the next couple of evenings I will be doing some air tests to learn the multitude of sounds this thing is sopose to make. I am anxious to get to the beach with it too.

Hi there Florida Sand Digger!

Don't get too concerned if you don't seem to be getting very good depth while air-testing your excalibur. They don't air-test very deep. You can use air-testing to hear and understand the different sounds you'll get from various targets, but in order to get the depth performance the machine is capable of, the target needs to be in the ground "matrix", whether dirt or sand. I personally think that even the different tones on various targets (i.e., penny vs. quarter vs. nickel vs. gold ring) do not come across during air-testing as good as they do when you are actually detecting out on the beach.

Good luck!!!!!!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

X-Splenda said:
What do you recommend?
This week

Hi X-Splenda,

I started out with the Excalibur 800 and was super happy when I got my Excalibur 1000. The 800 became my backup machine, and I never went back to it. I've since bought the Excalibur II to keep on the east coast, and I have the 1000 and 800 on the West Coast. I ended up having my 800 modified with a 15" WOT coil (waterproofed), which I now use hipmounted, and I absolutely love it!!! So, as you can see, my personal opinion, based on several years of beach and water hunting, is that bigger is better. Of course I have not tried the WOT coil in the water yet - only on the wet sand, so I can't speak to how the 15" coil swings in the water. But I absolutely love the 10" coil in the water. The 8" coil seems so tiny now that I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to it.

Happy Hunting!

Jim

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI

Thanks for the input Jim. I've heard and seen vids on UTube about the depth of the Excal, and they agree that to realize the true depth, you need the ground matrix.

I do have one question though. I was playing with the Disc to see at what point does a bottle cap produce a broken signal, and I had to go all the way to 13. will this change as well when the bottle cap is in the ground vs the air? with the Disc at 13 I was also getting a broken signal with a small gold ring.

I have pretty much surmised that I just need to spend some time at the beach with a low Disc, high sens setting in order to learn what the machine is trying to tell me.

HH
Digger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hangingfor8 said:
You'll love the excal. I have the older excal 1000 with the 15 inch wot and I've paid for my machine 20 times over.

Don't you just love the Excal with the WOT coil, I know I do. I have a waterproofed Sovereign GT for use in the surf with a WOT coil, and an Excal with the WOT coil.

If I have to use my stock Excal with the 10 inch coil it drives me crazy becasue the coil is so tiny............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions