Excal II battery question

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2008 model. Does anybody know if these things have a "battery memory" meaning do you need to run the battery down completely for maximum charge. Also, for long term storage what is the best way to store...battery connected or disconnected?

One more thing... what is the name of the lubricant used on the connections and where can it be purchased

Thanks and is it beach season yet?

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on if its a nimh or nicad and the battery memory never was an issue! Just charge it up and see what happens. If it gives you trouble after a couple of cycles replace it.steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
I have 2008 model. Does anybody know if these things have a "battery memory" meaning do you need to run the battery down completely for maximum charge. Also, for long term storage what is the best way to store...battery connected or disconnected?

One more thing... what is the name of the lubricant used on the connections and where can it be purchased

Thanks and is it beach season yet?

I have used the nicad for over 3 years, never noticed it having a problem with a memory. As far as the lubricant, I use silcone grease, it can be found in Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing department. It comes in a small plastic container about the size of a quarter maybe a 3/4 inch thick. I have been told you can also get it at dive shops. Be sure you get the lubricant and not silcone glue or sealer....

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
They say NiMH batteries do not build a memory, but then you ask yourself why so many modern cellular phone batteries (NiMH) last a year and cannot hold a charge for 12 hours... This happens if you do not run them "flat" (as flat as possible not to inconvenience yourself...) or, if people leave batteries on charge for excessively long times. I simply use a battery so it discharges as far as possible and charge it up fully etc. Be it NiMH or NiCd, I would cycle both the same way when charging / discharging. Usually, like Treasure Hunter said, normal cycling should be fine but, an after-market discharger of some sort can also be used once every say 20 - 30 charges. I am in the process of putting one together when I get home in 3 weeks. It needs to discharge at a "safe" rate, i.e. at the current rating of your MD, or slightly higher. I firmly believe any sort of rapid charging and / or discharging damages your battery in the long run.

Another important reminder is that you should never leave a rechargeable battery for longer than 6 months without cycling it, otherwise it will lose some of its ability to hold its maximum charge for a long time.

I have an Excal which has been standing at home for a few months while I am abroad for work. So I do not have that much experience with it, but these guidelines are general for most rechargeable battery systems. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread