sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: wet sand/shallow water..my xcal is going in for repairs

I think the SE would trump, but be carefull if you get the coil wet, not to elevate the coil. Water will run down the shaft and fry the electronics. (is what I have heard)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Use the XS..At the beach wont matter as U will dig it all anyway & if U have an accident better 2 lose the XS than the SE :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks sandshifter.. gonna post another question on the xcal.. it may save me from sending it in.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

Bootybay you dont need to send the excal in to repair the knobs, i replied to your other post just pry the small cap off the knob and undo the nut and put the new insert and cap on and tighten down the nut easy and put the cap back on.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Se has a faster recover time for the Iron infested jersey beachs, 1o or 8 in coil { I would hunt AM with no disc, and listen for the high flutey tones of silver, not sure about the gold tone, I used the digital screen numbers and gold ran from 04-22 to 15-01, I think}. Just make sure you silicon the rod where the cable goes thur...that way no water can run down to the mainboard control panel when you set the Se down or tilt it. Good Luck on your excal II, you should have bruce or brian look at it for you. Hope it is just a loose knob.....Joe

Attachments

• DSC_9526.jpg
    DSC_9526.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 506
  • DCS_9555.jpg
    DCS_9555.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 527
OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ron, gonna give it a shot to do myself.. this should be interesting..lol

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

did they give you a time on how long the repair is going to take. we cant even get new excaliburs and i heard minelab is moving.just a thought.nothing you can do about it,but just didnt want you to be waiting and waiting and saying it should be here by now. on the other hand i could be wrong

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Let me know Bootybay if you were able to replace the knobs okay,Once you see the inside nut and remove the old knob it will be easy to replace, good luck

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ronald, I called ML today, it wasnt just the knobs issue.. I spoke to kevin, I need to try one of my friends batteries first.. to see if there is a difference in tones at the same settings.. if there still is a difference in tones..its gotta go in.. all the xcall 2's should have the exact same tones as per Kevin..so something is up with mine.. so I think I will first do the battery swap first..and go from there.. I was told 25 days to get it back after they receive it.. I WILL GO NUTS.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Booty, I know the feeling, I broke down and got a 2nd Excal because of "Murphys Law", they are going to breakdown at the worst possible moment. I know not everyone can afford it, but give some thought to a backup Excal if you can..

Last year both of my water machines broke down at same time with coil problems. I now have 3 water detectors, 2 Excals, one with a WOT and the other with a SunRay S-12 spliced on, and I am replacing the WOT coil on my waterproof Sovereign GT. I cracked the coil last year and wasn't sure if salt water got in, unfortunately I learned last week it did, and has to be replaced...... When it is replaced I will have 3 working surf machines.... I am ready for "Murphys Law" this year..................

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After I do the battery test, then I will know for sure.. but, I have the explorer xs and explorer se.. would like to know which ones best for wet sands as thats mostly what I hunt.. One will have to go.. but I would like to know which is the easiest to learn..

going to stick my head in the closet and let a scream rip.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It could be a bad battery, so don't give up hope.... :icon_thumright: Even if not, better now then June 15th........... :'(

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yea, I totally agree on that one..

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

How old is the batterys on ur unit, and what is it that ur unit does that has u worried, Most units will detect and all the sudden the sound will change and bring coil close to scoop to reset normal sound then it will do it so often, When the batterys are going bad no matter what you try u cant adjust the senstivity nothing responds and its time for a battery replacement, And the worse thing is coil wire inside unit causing problems and it will need returned,

Have u wiggled the coil wire while the unit is on and see right at the control if anything changes,and also check coil cover and make sure coil is clean with cover back on, Just some small suggestions hope something helps you good luck and get that machine working because you have a great unit once its back to normal.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yes, I held the xcal up waist high, made sure no power wires or anything was around, and the coil was going nuts like I had a target.. I have it wrapped properly too so I am clueless on whats wrong.. as far as how old, its two years old.. thank god I have extended warranty on it. so my warranty expires in a yr n half or so.. I would just feel better after I do this battery switch...then if it has to go in, least it wont be during heavy tourist season...

just also have to figure out the other machines and use one of them in the meantime if I have to send it in..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bootybay said:
yes, I held the xcal up waist high, made sure no power wires or anything was around, and the coil was going nuts like I had a target.. I have it wrapped properly too so I am clueless on whats wrong.. as far as how old, its two years old.. thank god I have extended warranty on it. so my warranty expires in a yr n half or so.. I would just feel better after I do this battery switch...then if it has to go in, least it wont be during heavy tourist season...

just also have to figure out the other machines and use one of them in the meantime if I have to send it in..

When a battery is going bad on an Excal, it will go nuts like there is pull tabs everywhere. Take a better reading volt meter at the terminals after it is charged and see what it reads, it should be over 12 volts....

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used

Im guessing the battery is shot,Mine did that around two years and i ordered new batteries from a place and installed them myself the cost was around 40 dollars plus i ordered the quick charger and the battery is fully charged with in 2 hours. The place to order the inserts and quich charger is called "Onlybatterypacks" and they have the correct replacement battery and its simple to replace.
All you do is slide the grey cover off the top and you will see a couple allen screws,undo them and wiggle the top off easy and there will be a black o ring, clean it off and the battery snaps in like a 9 volt connector, I put foam inside to keep the battery from moving and then i used diver grease on the o ring to make sure no moisture gets in reinstalled the top and soaked it up to the connector,but dont let water in the connector, to make sure it was leak proof and the new batterys work great and im glad i purchased the quick charger from them because i can recharge within a hour or two and ready to detect again. When i tested my replaced battery i screwed the black charger attachment on the battery and stood it up in a sink of water.
The new excal batterys cost to much to replace when all u have to do is order from that website and you save alot of money.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ronald, if it is the battery, then minelab will replace it for me..as I have the extended warranty. but gotta get ahold of my two buddies and do the swap so I can see how mine sounds with their battery on mine.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just sent my excal in yesterday for a quick checkover and because it looks like on the bottom of the coil you can see a twinge of gold speck which might be a wire. It still was finding everything alright and not bugging out on me, but I rather be safe than sorry and have it checked since it is under warranty.

It was like sending a kid off though, I already miss it, and with the weekend coming up I will be hunting with the seahunter, so here comes bobby pin city, and trash city. I hope ML doesn't take too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread