Forum Professionalism, Appropriate Footwear for Water Detecting

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
My metal detecting trip is just a couple of weeks away, and I can't wait. I am still researching metal detectors and scoops. I just priced polarized sunglasses - wow, they are expensive. But my question is simple: What do you all wear on your feet in the salt water? Old tennis shoes? Beach shoes? Bare feet? High heels? (just kidding)I know that where I'm headed on the West Coast of Florida, there are plenty of sting rays. So, it makes sense to wear the most protection possible, but how do you all get around the problem of your shoes (e.g., tennis shoes) not stinking to high heaven after they dry out the next day?!

I realize my questions are often very simple-minded, but if you look over my posts some really useful exchanges have resulted. Please refrain from replies that are mean-spirited or sarcastic. If you find my posts to be idiotic, then please just ignore them instead of replying to them with clever rejoinders and thereby spreading negative energy. And a big thank you to all of you who take my questions seriously.

I know that if someone were asking questions of me in an area in which I was an expert, then I would (and do) consider it and honor and a privilege to offer my experience, strength, and hope. The absolute last thing that I, personaly, ever want to do is to come across as condescending and not encourage the person's passion. Who am I to judge someone's questions as too simple or too naive. It doesn't matter if you've been metal detecting for 95 years; in fact, I would argue that such credible individuals should be held to a higher standard with respect to courtesy and respect. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to bully someone who appears to be simple-minded or analytical or curious. I thought we stopped doing that in grade school. Those that appear to be the most 'weak' need the most kindness. How about being a role model and setting a professional standard. Again, if my posts are "getting old," then please ignore them. I have a right to posts my posts, and if you look you'll see that my posts generate A LOT of replies. If I were the owner of this forum, I would want someone like me asking "the stupid questions." I really don't care to read what you think of them. So please, try to practice what we all learned in kindergarten and what you are trying to teach your grandkids - compassion, patience, love, brotherly love. I've already said that I am going on my metal detecting trip in a couple of weeks, so I am preparing for that trip and want to be prepared for as many unexpected things as I can - hence all the questions. I don't get to leave the state of Missouri that much, and I love the water. And I'll only be in Florida a couple of days. But even if I weren't going on a metal detecting trip and I were confined to a wheelchair, what gives (some of you) the right to tell me to "Stop asking all these questions and just go out and do it." I got my first metal detector at about age 15 around 25 years ago on the West Coast of Florida - but I think it's sad that I feel like I need to defend the quality of my questions. I have always asked a lot of questions, and I will not change. Just live and let live, please....................And please carefully consider responding to this post if you have a problem with it. Such a reply is easily recognizable: "Yes, you're right Overkill - I agree with absolutely everything you say, except..................." Again, just ignore me if you can't be contribute to this forum either with your responses or your questions." Try to stick to the motto "Principles before personalities." In other words, keep the focus on beach and shallow water metal detecting, not on rating the quality of someone's questions. If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it at all. Have a great day! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JP said:
OldeBeechnut said:
that's funny Cotton...

Code:
cotton
Bunny slippers with big ears
I would bet your name is peter {cotton} tail?

OBN, it's Mr. Cotton from Pirates of the Caribbean :laughing9: :laughing9:

as for the question:

where dive boots; I would still recommend shuffling your feet....I've stepped on a few sting rays only to have them slide away and not get me with the barb...thank God.
Do not even get me started Capt JP. :laughing9: :laughing9: :tongue3:

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
excal/pirate said:
scuba diving booties
I agree totally. I've tried them all and a good pair of scuba booties with a heavy plastic soul is the best for water and beach hunting. They zip up the side and prevent sand and stuff from getting into your feet. You will get the real fine sand.....but it is like flour and will not wear the skin off your feet like the courser sand. And the added bonus of keeping your feet warm in the colder water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joesen said:
Forum Professionalism?
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

We made light of his child like questions. He must be making a term paper out of our suggestions.

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with nuggetshooter. I bought a pair of Mares Triboots from Leisurepro and love 'em! They work very well with the 8" Stealth SS Scoop.

:-)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 343
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 343

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Theres NOTHING better than your post, and Friday night beer. THANKS OVERKILL OVERKILL[WALMART= WATERSHOES]

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
excal/pirate said:
scuba diving booties
That is the best advice.

Scuba booties with the heavy plastic souls are the best. They keep the sharp sand away from your feet. The scuba booties will fit fairly snug around your ankles and seal out most of the sand. The very fine sand will infiltrate the booties and will feel like you are walking on a cloud. The booties are also great for dry sand. They protect your feet from sharp objects and keep your feet floating on the dry sand making it easier to walk in the sand.

Old tennis shoes are not a good thing to wear as they fill with sand fairly quickly. The laces will come loose. They seem to fall apart fairly quickly. Plus it looks like you are not a pro. Tennis shoes are for tennis.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the dive boots mainly because I already had them an they kept out the sand. Lately I have been wearing fishermans wading boots that you wear over the stocking foot waders and they work great. However I learned mine have brass nails and if I sweep the Excal to close to the toe, it beeps and I go on "point." Then on the next pass I realize it was my boot.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
MT Pockets said:
These are what I use...

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SSTBS.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SSTBS

They are Super Comfy...

When you wear dive boots while wading , and or walking through the surf

sand tends to collect in the Zipper area, so to make life easier it's always best to

wash them really well after your finished at the shower section of the beach...

this way, you do have any trouble pulling up the zipper for your next hunt, especially if your hitting a few beaches a day..

I wear cheap cotton socks from WW in mine and pull the socks over the zipper.Makes life so much better when U go to unzip them especially it there is NO SHOWER section at the beach
They will last for a couple of weeks before the sand eats a hole in the heel but they are cheap & I get them in the 6 or bulk pack

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ever I wash my dive boots out, I leave them zipped half way up, that way there is room to move the zipper up or down if there is a problem.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: Dive booties. SSSHHHH! I convienced the wife that water walking required shoes only. No clothing allowed! It's worked so far. :laughing9: Sorry, no picture with this one! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread