Scoop materials question

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Everyone,
Before I purchased my water/wet sand scoop, I decided to ask a few more questions. I will be doing mostly fresh water beach/shallow water hunting with some wet sand hunting. I will go to the ocean here and there, but not that much. If you had to classify my hunting, it will probably be light to medium duty hunting in that it will be for 2-3 hours at a time at most. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and although they are in great shape compared to before the surgery (now 8 years ago) they do not have much endurance for prolonged activity. They need a rest after few hours of detecting/digging. So,

1. Should I get a scoop made out of stainless or aluminum?

2. Is it better to get a scoop where the handle floats upright or not? And,

3. What shape is best? Round barrel shovel nose type, flat bottom, diamond shape? If you can tell me why you like a particular shape, it would help me make my final decision. Thanks.

Darryl

Upvote 0

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Hey Nugget,

I would say the material should be stainless steel. As for the shape well that's really an individual taste, if you review some of the other post on here about scoops you will see round ones and diamond shaped ones, big, small heavy, light and then there's mine that I made and it's named scoopzilla due to it's massive size and weight (see my avitar). I think around 18 pounds dry probably 40 pounds filled with wet sand. Many of the guys on hereuse the diamond shaped one, and its had good reviews.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Difference of opinions....LOL,

If you have wrist problems I would go with aluminum, with SS lip....

I use the Beach Brute II, (Sold through Kellyco, made by RTG) with a stainless steel lip added. It weighs about 5.5 pounds with the lip and pro-handle, and it takes large bites with its 8.5 wide mouth, 6 in tall and 12 inch long. You can also break it down if need be.

Beach Brute II
beachbrute-1-1.jpg

Pro Handle
pro-handle.gif

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
How old are ya.? So far with what you have said, I would say Alum, SS tip or a super lite SS starv scoop with a fiber glass handle, less then 5 lbs...weigh is a big factor after 55......Good Luck ......Joe

Attachments

• strarvscoops.jpg
    strarvscoops.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 333

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Again:
Whatever scoop U buy U will quickly learn that there is no one scoop fits all. If U are the casual water hunter then U might B ok with one but if U water hunt on a regular basis U will need several scoops. None of them will last forever under heavy use and there is nothing worse than being miles from anywhere and having your scoop break. Or, U find out that the area U are going to hunt is full of shells that will not empty through the holes in your scoop and U need a lift handle to get the scoop up to see what you got for a target. U might find yourself in some rough water where a 6 inch scoop opening just doesn't get it because U R not able to get the target on the first scoop before U get knocked off the spot & can't find it again.
Research is fine but U will not know for sure till U actually get out there and dig and find out for yourself which one is right for U .02

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many types of scoops and finding the right one for you may take you a couple buys to find the one that suits you best. I like the smaller Sunspot Stealth because I am only doing fresh water now and don't need the larger basket type where you must remove material before the next wave moves you off the spot. The SS isn't that much heavier than the alum and you are dragging in most of the time. Having a bunch of holes is the main advantage of many scoops. The Pro-Handle Treasure Hunter shows is a great addition for helping raise the basket. I like the Looped handles on my scoops for the convenience of placing the point straight down without getting your sunglasses wet.

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The type handle you will never be satisfied with. Wood handles float the scoop upright and the Diamond Head has a fiberglass handle that is supposed to float too. You can always add floam to the handle for help in this dept. Some guys like to use a floating sifter to place the material in while they search. I think this is just another thing to carry down to the water and some kids think it is nice to jump on. Course you can always float the scoop when you are not digging, but for me it was more trouble than it was worth to keep removing the scoop all the time.

Attachments

• Pro-Handle.gif
    Pro-Handle.gif
    145.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Loop Handle.jpg
    Loop Handle.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Pro-Handle.gif
    Pro-Handle.gif
    145.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Loop Handle.jpg
    Loop Handle.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 317

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Again:
None of them will last forever under heavy use and there is nothing worse than being miles from anywhere and having your scoop break.

I had my first scoop break on me while night hunting 65 miles from home, I never go hunting without a backup scoop now, just like I have a backup water detector, harness, shoes, and carry a toolbox full of supplies, uncluding everything from spare nylon bolts, and teardrop washers to batteries, duct tape, tie wraps and so any. I try to carry a spare for everything I use......Well almost every thing I use, certain things just don't have spares.... :wink: ;D

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i purchased ONE , the BEACH BRUTE II, and i love it .

OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All very Interesting. I sounds like I may have to just dive in and get one and see if it works for me.

Well, I will be 60 in January, and I have weak wrists/hands.

Sandman in you post you referenced a type of handle I would never like "The type handle you will never be satisfied with. " But I am not certain I understood the sentence - are you saying I would not want a floating wood or fiberglass handle or is it that the sentence did not get finished?

And Joe (OldeBeechnut) What scoops are those that you use? Do the handles on yours float?

Now I have this scoop (I got it however from RTG) - will this work for both drysand and fresh water hunting? Or should I get another scoop - I am more than willing, I just want to be sure I am not buying something I do not need?
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

And finally (for today at least) what do you all think of this one - keeping in mind my condition and that I will be doing mostly fresh water hunting?

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

It weighs only 3.4 lbs. Probably does not float, but I can always put some floatation on the handle if I need it.

Thanks to all - I never thought getting a scoop could involve so much!

Darryl

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
"All very Interesting. I sounds like I may have to just dive in and get one and see if it works for me."

Great Idea :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions