Things I learned week 1

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Well this week I finally ventured into the world of beach and shallow water detecting. I've been detecting for about 8 years but not on the beach. I bought a Surfmaster Dual Field and a nice scoop. I read every article on Golden Olde and asked quite a few questions to the man I bought my detector from here in Hawaii. Below is what I learned this week

1. I will not have a problem finding targets to dig with the Whites Surf Dual Field

2. If you find 1 beer cap, there is a pretty good chance there are 5 more right there with it.

3. Hunting deeper water at night is tough, especially for a newby

4. Digging in the surf isn't easy while waves are hitting you

5. If this hobby doesn't work out I can take up fishing (15 lead sinkers this week)

6. Always wear shoes of some sort in the water ( cut my foot while attempting to dig a hotrock with the scoop)

7. I think someone on here mentioned about the detector being a chick magnet. They must be right because the hotties were sure staring at me. (like I had three heads)

8. High tide sucks (low has been aroun 11pm-1am and 930am-1130 am here, So I've been hunting at night do to work)

9. Kids like matchbox cars dug at the beach just as much as the ones you buy from the store.

10. This hobby is a lot of fun, even if you don't fill your pockets with gold. I scored a bunch of clad and a little silver ring and am thrilled. ;D

H/H USMCLion

Upvote 0

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
SSSSSHHHhhhhhh! That's the big secret - the more fun you have the better finds you'll make! ;D :laughing7: ;D

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
USMCLion good post, I enjoyed reading it. good sense of humor! hope you can keep it when the goin gets tough, but then you're a marine, of course you can! my Papa was a marine, I love marines!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Well I got to tell you that it ain't all that much fun! Sometimes you look down in your scoop and actually see some yellow stuff in there and it is just that nasty ole gold. If you find any of that be sure to just go hunt somewhere else where you can find more of the stuff you've been finding. ::)

All kidding aside..... It is a learning experience but you will get better. Just remember that you will always have some bad days. It's the nature of the hobby. Good luck

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
USMCLion said:
Well this week I finally ventured into the world of beach and shallow water detecting. I've been detecting for about 8 years but not on the beach. I bought a Surfmaster Dual Field and a nice scoop. I read every article on Golden Olde and asked quite a few questions to the man I bought my detector from here in Hawaii. Below is what I learned this week

1. I will not have a problem finding targets to dig with the Whites Surf Dual Field

2. If you find 1 beer cap, there is a pretty good chance there are 5 more right there with it.

5. If this hobby doesn't work out I can take up fishing (15 lead sinkers this week)

6. Always wear shoes of some sort in the water ( cut my foot while attempting to dig a hotrock with the scoop)

7. I think someone on here mentioned about the detector being a chick magnet. They must be right because the hotties were sure staring at me. (like I had three heads)

8. High tide sucks (low has been aroun 11pm-1am and 930am-1130 am here, So I've been hunting at night do to work)

9. Kids like matchbox cars dug at the beach just as much as the ones you buy from the store.

10. This hobby is a lot of fun, even if you don't fill your pockets with gold. I scored a bunch of clad and a little silver ring and am thrilled. ;D

H/H USMCLion

How you doing USMCLion? Welcome to the sport of water detecting!!!!! What island are you on? I'm on Oahu. Where have you detected at? Can i assume you bought your detector from Dale the local dealer? I wish you all the luck!! If you need any help give me a holler.

Ken

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
HawaiiMDer said:
USMCLion said:

H/H USMCLion

How you doing USMCLion? Welcome to the sport of water detecting!!!!! What island are you on? I'm on Oahu. Where have you detected at? Can i assume you bought your detector from Dale the local dealer? I wish you all the luck!! If you need any help give me a holler.

Ken

I'm on Oahu to. Really have only been out on K-Bay MCB. I've been only night hunting due to time so its been tough. I did buy the detector from Dale, seemed like a good guy.

I'm going to try to get out before the weekend in the morning one day.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you find 1 beer cap, there is a pretty good chance there are 5 more right there with it.

and the others within 10 foot radius of them!!!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

Just remember that if your digging the caps and pull tabs your going to strike the gold!!!!

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
A silver ring is a ring just the same. I keep my finds in two plastic butter tub containers. One for gold/platinum and one for silver, SS, tungsten, titanium. Neither one is close to full, but it is always fund to make a new deposit. You will be counting them up before long. Now you need to go to a beach where the wealthy tourists swim, military folks do not get paid enough to wear lots of gold jewelry to the beach. You did good for your first water hunt. HH and good luck.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Howzit going MC,
Glad to here that you are getting your feet wet. Those bottle caps do tend to flock together don't they. If you are finding lead and heavier stuff, you will find gold in there with it, of course the ratio is about 50:1 on good day. Also, the tides will change, get a tide chart. Hang and in there and enjoy yourself. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
petersra said:
A silver ring is a ring just the same. I keep my finds in two plastic butter tub containers. One for gold/platinum and one for silver, SS, tungsten, titanium. Neither one is close to full, but it is always fund to make a new deposit. You will be counting them up before long. Now you need to go to a beach where the wealthy tourists swim, military folks do not get paid enough to wear lots of gold jewelry to the beach. You did good for your first water hunt. HH and good luck.

Ya I can vouche for the miltary notgetting paid enough to wear the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions