Straight shaft question

fire1234

Jun 14, 2010
Looking to get a straight shaft for my excal II 800. Looking at the Andersons from Kellyco, noticed they had a regular side mount long shaft, and a new one that is a over/under model. Any suggestions on which is a better set-up? Also I'm 6'1" and I need a few more inches to fit my comfort level than what the stock shaft gives. Will the straight shafts give me anymore length?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fire1234 said:
Looking to get a straight shaft for my excal II 800. Looking at the Andersons from Kellyco, noticed they had a regular side mount long shaft, and a new one that is a over/under model. Any suggestions on which is a better set-up? Also I'm 6'1" and I need a few more inches to fit my comfort level than what the stock shaft gives. Will the straight shafts give me anymore length?

If your 6'1" the Anderson is going to be too short for you.

Why don't you make your own, they are fairly simple to make. Get a 6 foot piece of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing cut it tot the length you want and drill holes for the A clip to slide up the shaft. The lower fiber shaft that holds the coil will slide right up inside it., use your controls as a patternt to mark where you wnat the controls at on the rod with a felt tip pen. Highly recommend you put the controls up above where your elbow is so they are with in easy reach and angle the controls so they are aqay from you. Use a bicycle handle bar extension for the hand grip.............

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Marty build you own for 25-30 dollars and I actually like the one I built better than the Anderson I bought.

03-36450-4 6061T6 ALUM TUBE 7/8X.065 4FT
excact size you will need I get 4' Hope this helps

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 726
  • handle bar ends.jpg
    handle bar ends.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 729
  • gh.jpg
    gh.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,139
  • ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 706

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fire1234 said:
Would either of you have a picture of what your set up looks like?

Here is a shot of Pete's (Erikk)machines

Attachments

• addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 926

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
FloridaBill said:
fire1234 said:
Would either of you have a picture of what your set up looks like?

Here is a shot of Pete's (Erikk)machines

Now that is what I have to call an ARSENAL of machines! :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter has me beat, here is my beach arsenal.....Missing is Whites 6000 XL Pro and my Fisher 1235X competition machine... The Excal on the left now has the Sunray S-12 hard wired on.....

DSCF2034.jpg

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nice! I have really been wanting to update my arsenal for a long time now but every time I find a deal I'm too late.

I really think I'm wanting to add an Excal II with WOT and a Whites Dual Field to my line up and retire/sell my Surf PI or keep it as a loaner/backup.

I've been wanting an Excal since 1990, but I have never been at the right place at the right time. I've borrowed one before and did not really think it was my cup of tea, but I have some spots that really you just can't hunt with a PI machine. I keep saying one day, I'm going to get that Excalibur!

My birthday is coming up and my wife asked me last week if I was still wanting a new metal detector. I said yeah, even though things have been pretty slow in the finds department it would be nice to have a new one. She said what was it, an Excalibur? I was surprised she not only remembered, but paid that much attention. Honestly I am not getting my hopes up, but it got me to thinking about getting one again and I started looking around for a used machine. I found a pretty good deal and of course it was sold, well sort of as the seller said. The guy sent him a deposit and was supposed to come pick it up at the end of this month. But the seller said he was fairly confident that it was sold. Guess I will have to keep looking.

By the way, how do you like that grip on your scoop? I tried to locate one of those locally last year to give a try and had no luck finding one. The manufacturers website said that Home Depot was a retailer, but the folks at HD never heard of one or saw it. I even showed them the web page with the grip and the Home Depot logo on it. Where did you get yours?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barebones it sounds like you have a fine wife there and are a lucky man. :thumbsup:

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Barebones it sounds like you have a fine wife there and are a lucky man. :thumbsup:

I think so too most of the time, but it does not hurt that I give her first pick of anything I find. :icon_sunny:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barebones, what area of Florida are you in?

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Can't upload MS Word Doc but if U want the instructions send me an e mail

[email protected]

here it is

U get the tube at Aircraftspruce.com get 6061t6 7/8 OD .745 ID 4 feet @ $3.20 per foot #03 36450.Your lower shaft will measure .744 which makes for a very nice fit requiring no lock nuts. Go to a bike shop and get the long bar ends with the bend $19.95 a pair and pick up a package of foam grip covers (4) for $9.95. Use your arm cuff off your old S rod and the pods for templates to drill the 1/4 holes. Use 1 3/4 x 1/2 SS bolts if U can find them otherwise get 2 inch and grind them down. Use SS wing nuts on the pods and a SS/nylon lock nut on the cuff. I usually remove about 6 inches from the 4 ft length so I can put much more lower up in the tube for more strength
If U don't use the tubing from Aircraft spruce all bets are off

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make my own ...cheaper. I also just welded my handle and did a rope wrap. One thing I have noticed is I made mine quite long compared to most, and I am finding 20 percent more targets since I cover so much more ground. In the water it is fine, just have to put your arm back a lil more to PP

PC210010-1.jpg

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:hello2:
i bought the overunder one from kellyco. easy to put together and extends reach by a lot.
my excal is about 47 inches at max extention. the overunder is about 56 inches.
that gives a tall guy a little extra reach.
good luck, jack (urdaboss)

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sorry, pix did not come out- try again

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my excal hasn't arrived yet but I got my tubing and even have the paint to match thanks to Pete.....

excal4.jpg

excal.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread