Cruise Metal Detecting

hensghan

Sep 16, 2006
Does anyone have any personal knowledge of the rules or laws regarding metal detecting on the various Caribbean islands most usually visited by cruise ships? I would hate to lug my metal detector across country and aboard ship only to have it confiscated the first time I tried to use it somewhere. Nor would I want to be incarcerated or fined. I know this is a very broad question but thanks for any helpful advice.

Upvote 0

JAN2011

Apr 21, 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - MXT - Excalibur II
Check with the cruise line first and insure they will let you bring a metal detector on board, (some prohibit it). No laws preventing metal detecting in Puerto Rico that I am aware of, (obviously use common sense).

Good luck

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
As long as the cruise line does not prohibit you from bringing your metal detector on board you are good to go. Someone recently posted that Carnival did not allow metal detectors on board, but I would double check that if that is who you are sailing with.

I hunted the Western Caribbean last month on Princess with no problems at all in the Bahamas, Jamaica and Mexico.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
carnival said it would not be allowed on board but I took a chance and took it anyway. Had no problems taking it off and on the ship several times. Didn't get to use it much though. I have been told you can't hunt St Thomas.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I've hunted inthe Bahamas, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I'm sure Jamaica is fine too. No worries mon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread