Trade offer - opinions please

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Everyone,

I mostly(probably 75% of the time) shallow water hunt in fresh water lakes and rivers in CA. At times, however, Judy and I go to the ocean, but not that often although when we go, we go for 3-4 weeks at a time - mostly in Southern CA, OR and/or TX. We hope to do the FLA thing one day, but it is a long drive in the motorhome from CA! Anyway, I may have the opportunity to make a trade, my CZ-21 + a few hundred and end up with a new Sand Shark and a basically new Tiger Shark (actually a demo used a couple of times with a new lifetime warranty etc.) and a Clean Sweep coil to use with my Troy Shadow X2. Both detectors have the std. 8 inch coil and come with coil covers, are in their original boxes, etc. Opinions Please! I like the CZ, but even chest mounted I find the 10 inch coil difficult to move in the water, and very heavy to swing over the beach. I would also chest mount the Tesoros and use a straight shaft to hunt with as I am not an S rod fan in general. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First the weight thing.......You can use a bungie cord to take the weight off the arm and let your whole body support the weight. Then you just guide the coil along.

The CZ-21 is a fine detector and the trade for two Tesoro's is a great trade. The Sand Shark you have to remember will respond to every hairpin in the sand. They can last for decades in the fresh water an you will dig them at great depths. The Tiger is easy to operate and only has one tone for a target while the CZ21 has 3 not counting the Overload tone. The Tiger also has a switch for the Saltwater Mode while the CZ21 has it on all the time. The Tiger can find those thin necklesses too. Either of these Tesoro's will only weigh slighly less than the Fisher and the surf waves can move the Sand Shark and Tiger's flat coil around. A deadly combo is the Clean Sweep Coil on the Tiger with the adapter Tesoro sells, but it isn't waterproof.

OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your opinion Sandman. I realize I will only gain/lose a little over 1/2 lb by going to the Tesoros over the CZ. But, I also figured I could swing the smaller coil easier in the water as well. I am in no hurry, and am not worried about the extra amount of coverage I might lose. I will see how the negotiations go.
I am interested in your statement about the Cleansweep coil as I am thinking about getting one for my Troy Shadow X2 for when I hunt large sport fields. Are you saying that the coil would not be waterproof at the connection point on the control box or are you saying that it is not waterproof at the coil connection. I was thinking about trying it out in the shallow water (like not more than ankle deep) to see how I liked it for that purpose. But if it is not waterproof, then I will just stick to using it on the dry sand or if I get the Sand and the Tiger, then to just using it on the dry and wet sand only. thanks again for your response.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In My Humble Opinion ... the VLF dual frequency CZ-21 is a superior detector in fresh or salt water to the SandShark PI.

The Clean sweep coil trades off a lot of depth to get the extra area coverage.
Do an air test between a Clean Sweep coil and a regular coil and you will see what I am talking about.

Personalty, I would rather have the CZ-21.

Willee

OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Willee,

Thanks for your input. What about on small targets like earrings, thin rings, and chains? How would you compare the performance of the two? Did you mean to compare the CZ-21 to the Tiger Shark or the Sand Shark (the PI unit).

Darryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread