Underwater detecting question

nootilus

Sep 11, 2004
Hi All,
This is my first posting on this forum, so sorry if I do anything wrong..
My question is this, I enjoy snorkelling and beach detecting with my Excalibur 800, I am in the UK so have never considered being eaten by anything even though I spend a lot of time in the sea, however I hope to be going on joliday soon to warmer waters and wondered if anyone knew if the rf or noise that a detector gives off will attract sharks, might seem like a stupid question, but I really dont want to get eaten..
Thanks
Nootilus ??? ???

Upvote 0

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are coming to the USA beaches, then yes it will attract sharks, and you and the detector will surely be eaten.. If going to somewhere else, no it won't. ;D Just had to say that, But seriously now, it hasn't been shown that the sound will attract sharks, but they probably do hear it, maybe it might even do the opposite and drive them off, I have never heard of anyone detecting getting bit. I guess if they bit though, it sure could hurt the detector. Good huntin, John

C

Charles,Oak Island

I do most of mine in 30 ft of sea water and have had no shark problems ( could be because water is to dark to seem)

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no link to sharks from frequency leakage. However, the coil produces an electromagnetic field. Electromagnetic fields do attract sharks and will drive them CRAZY. The good news is the field generated is less than needed to get that response. So long story short, don't worry, go huntin'. HH! Chris

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Make sure you know the laws pertaining to detecting in the areas you plan to vacation. Contact a local MD club to get the info you need. When you say warmer waters I can't help but think of Florida which has some areas where you cannot detect in the water lest you risk losing your detector and possibly spending some jail time. Would hate to see your vacation ruined. Different states and locales have different laws and federal lands sometimes called public lands are strictly off limits. With a little research you can email clubs where you plan to visit before you leave the UK and save yourself a little time and trouble. Just the same good luck, happy hunting and post your finds here for the rest of us to enjoy.

OP
OP
N

nootilus

Sep 11, 2004
Thanks very much for all your advice, I was planning on going in the water in spain, but I have read and heard conflicting reports about whether or not you can detect in Spain, several of the guys down at our local detector shop, say it is great, and come back with some good finds and photos, but most sites you look on say that spain is no go for detectoring, with some saying that even the Spanish navy complain that they play havoc with their equipment, any advice? At least now I wont have to worry about sharks!
Oh yeh about detecting in the States, no need we sank all your decent treasure ships years ago, so I will be busy over here for years.. ;D
Thanks

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2 w/Sunray X-1 Probe
Make sure you go with a long bladed VERY SHARP knife (made for underwater use), although sharks may not be present there are always dangers underwater, like the moray eel which is very vicious when it attacks something, I would widely avoid it since their teeth are sharper than needles. Another one to look for is the barracuda. Another one which you should really look out for is the Sea-bass, very territorial and kindof big, it can take a chunk of flesh from you if they can (a big one really!), check out this webpage: http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/dangerous-fish-and-mollusks.htm , this has a list of many dangerous species. You could also buy a mesh wetsuit suited for sharks which should make you a bit more confortable about water hunting. A harpoon would also be quite a tool when hunting deep waters they run for $50-$100 (some even less) and quite frankly one shot from those would leave anything in so much pain it would back off; You have to be VERY careful too if you're hunting in waters where sharks appear once in a while not to get a wound, sharks can sense blood from many Kilometres, moray eels live in caves or anything resembling a cave so be careful where you stick your hands in, morays can severe your hand with a clean bite, hope this helps!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Sharks can be curious, and it would seem like a reasonable assumtion that they may be attracted to the low frequency noise, but they are actually repelled by the electromagnetic currents. The electical interference drives them crazy. They cant stand it. But, they have to be close for it to affect them. So if you are attacked, just stick the coil near his nose, and he should leave! (Or eat your detector!)

Robert in SC

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nootilus, Welcome to the forum! And I always enjoy hearing from our friends in the UK. I have been diving in the waters along the Florida coast for many years, the last three years with an Excalibur 1000, and have never had any problems with sharks, and have never heard of anyone being attacked while detecting. Additionally, I have not read any reports of studies being conducted to determine any effects between the shark and metal detectors. So I think the odds are in your favor.
Oh yea! Our British brothers are always welcome to dive the waters off of the colonies, as many of Her Majesties ships are keeping us busy on the bottom also. ;)

Happy Hunting, and not to worry!

Q

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks mostly go after surfers,mistakenly thinking they are food,or because they are in a large school of bait fish in the poor visability around where the surf is breaking,the most aggresive shark we have in florida is the bull shark,they have been know to attack swimmers that are thrashing about.i have never had any problems while detecting in shallow water,but i have had a few hammerheads around 10 foot in lenth get too close while i was spear fishing around the sun glow pier in daytona,i guess one was dad an the other was mom,cause a 4 foot baby hammerhead attacked me an a friend,to make a long story short,the 4 footer was my dinner that night,killed with my dive knife.always carry a dive knife,it could save yours or someone elses life or get you some fish dinner:)

OP
OP
N

nootilus

Sep 11, 2004
:o Thanks for all the info, so if I have got this right I need to go in armed to the teeth, with a shark proof suit and beat the thing to death with my shark proof detector or feed it to him and swim like hell, mmmm, maybe I will take up scrabble or knitting!! seriously though went diving with the detector in spain, nothing too exciting but have since met some keen underwater detectorists locally so am looking forward to being able to get in the water again next year when it warms up a bit, you lot dont know how lucky you are with the warmer climes over there, I think I wouyld gladly battle sea monsters at the moment for a chance to be in a warm sea...

All the best for Christmas.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about a "power head"12 gauge spear tip or better a 10 gauge!!!it legal not sure on florida laws live in illinois planning a trip soon maybe!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 gauge is the way to go,cant get much bigger then that,it will cleanly blow the head off any shark up to 20 feet,i had one custom built for me when i lived in hawaii,i used it many times,you just have to be careful when hitting a shark,make sure you hit it in the gills or between the eyes on the top of its head,thats where its brain is,instant death,if you hit it anywhere else,you have a very pissed off snapping jaws shark on your hands swiiming all over the place,also be careful of shooting it off around coral heads or ledges,i get a ring in my right ear every now an then from when i blew the head off a 10 foot shark,i was next to a large coral head an the sound deflected back to my right ear.bang sticks are legal for diving,but not to carry around on your person.you can get them from 32 cal up to 10 gauge depending on what you want to kill or piss off,go with the largest that way its a for sure kill.i had my powerhead on a 18" long fiberglass pole,you put it on a longer one if you want to be somewhat far from your kill,less adventure that way.dont bother trying to find a farallon shark dart,i tested them when they first came out,out of 10 cartdriges i had 4 duds,they did make the shark into a balloon though,an at least you had something left to take home for dinner,but made some angry sharks with the duds,maybe thats why they dont make them anymore,lol
another weapon you can use is a glock 9mm,10mm or 45cal works great underwater not much range but very effective be careful you dont shoot your dive buddy,take it apart an clean with fresh water after use.bang sticks and powerheads only go off on contact,keep the saftey pin in till you are ready to use it.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Glocks require a slight modification if you want it to cycle under water

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
http://www.beco-products.com/

I didn't know Glocks could be used underwater, thats good to know now. Bringing with yourself a Glock 18c with 32 Round Magazine would be great don't you think? The 18c is Selective fire, so you get a shark like swiss cheese by the time it opens it's mouth haha.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thankz for the the direct reply thats good info most of what i need to know and then some my brother say you guys are all talk but the info may turn him around the glock deal for sure is good to know good for un wanted party crashers above and below water!!!thak you again the few posts that i have gotten recognized for a idea or tought !!!!!!DEKALB33

C

Charles,Oak Island

Spring Caps have to have a small bit of work for shark huntin.

Any Glock could be frozen in ice, filled with sand and it would come out shooting.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol." - US MArshals... Tommy Lee Jones

I own two a model 23 in 40cal or 357 sig depending on my mood and a sweet little model 30 in good ole 45 APC.

Course I still love my Colt 45's 1911's

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
"Any Glock could be frozen in ice, filled with sand and it would come out shooting." Yeah, Glocks are pretty much the AK-47 of the Pistols. I wish they would make a Glock in .50 like the Desert Eagle.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Glock has the least number of parts of any handgun having only 33 parts...... less parts less problems.... simple.

Glock finish is the second hardest material known to man, the first being a diamond.

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen any sharks and I do a lot of underwater detecting in chest high water. However I did attract a dolphin a few years ago in the Turks and Caicos. It approached me within 3 feet and checked me out for about 2 minutes.
I also attracted a very large stingray earlier this year in Jamaica.
I have wondered about sharks, but so far I've been lucky.
Colin :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread