Nothing being found in Panama City Beach, Fl

Criss1956

Aug 3, 2004
Panama City Beach, Florida
I was hoping to find something good after hurricane Ivan. However, I've only found a few Penny's and quarters. Much of the beach has washed back out into the gulf along with it's treasures.
They expect much of the sand will wash back. Hopefully, it will bring back some gold, rings or coins with it.
I have an older Whites Eagle Spectrum. It's in good working order and works great on dry sand. It give the typical chirps and false readings in the wet sand, though.
It's getting heavier as I age and I'm thinking of buying a new model detector. I tried the Tesoro, Tiger Shark and did not like it at all. I sent it back and lost $200.00 on the deal.
What do yall think about he new Whites Prizm? I need something that's light and more or less a turn on and go detector. I like the Target ID feature and depth reading. Any suggestions?
Criss in Panama City Beach, FL

Upvote 0

mark3199

Sep 25, 2004
Thanks for the info on the very prised beaches. We will be trying our hand at it this sunday through wednesday and we've never been to the area at all and hopefully we have some beginners luck. Can you give me any ideas on where to try. In the water on the beaches or upperdune? i just bought a Garrett sea hunter mark 11. I really have no imformation on anyother units. do you know anything about the model i bought? Thanks

skip_fla

Oct 6, 2004
Wakulla, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Mark,

I've been using the Sea Hunter for 20+ years, here's some tips: http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/88.html? There's also some stuff at the bottom of "underwater detectors" "which unit" etc., etc., that you can dig though.? I'm out hunting myself right now, so may not answer questions here in a timely manner.? You can guess whether your target is a soda can by tilting the coil on its side and detecting the edges of the target.? Small target: dig it for sure.? Large target: up to you, but I tend to dig them all.

Most of the below was found with a Sea Hunter:

Image216.jpg

mark3199

Sep 25, 2004
matt
Iv'e found many of your entries and pics and am very impressed with the work you've done in treasure hunting. As i wrote in my entry above, i'm comming to Florida next week and im concerned about what to do if i happen to bump into real treasure, leagally speaking. Do you have any short answers for me?
P.S. i guess that treasure hunter 11 is a good unit.
thanks ,
mark

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
That is a real tricky question, as anyone who hunts in Florida knows. Since I don't know what you're doing specifically and assume you're on a boat: read down through the artifacts section (1st page), download a bunch of those "isolated finds" forms and have them with you, download the metal detecting pdf (from DHR -- same page as isolated finds). If you find anything serious give me a call and I'll get you to a lawyer. Oddly, the state let a bunch of prehistoric canoes be decimated recently when they failed to send anyone out to check them out in advance of a logging operation. Thousands of years old, they were crushed under logging equipment because nobody cared. On the other hand, find a 300 year old coin and suddenly that is a "priceless" artifact that the state archeologists must have . . . go figure. In my mind, it would be much easier to send all of the state archeologists over to Europe where they can see 300+ year old ships floating, study (and purchase if they want) armor, working matchlocks, any kind of coin thinkable, etc., etc., to bring back and study to their hearts content and leave us alone.

Sorry for the speech, but you hit a button . . .

MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread