Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headed out to the Central Florida beaches this past Sunday with my newly acquired Sand Shark. Having heard horror stories about pulse induction detectors, I was braced for the worst.

But the worst never happened. In fact, it was probably the most fun I've had in this hobby for a long time. I sure did learn a few things about PI detectors though.

1. They don't miss anything.
2. They will hit even the smallest target.
3. They have incredible depth.
4. They don't miss anything.

I included my bucket shot below just to show you what came out of the sand after 6 hours of hunting (the summer heat finally drove me off the beach at 1:00). Here's my junk count (you Excal users get ready to laugh).

Bottle Caps - 83
Bobby Pins - 18
Pull Tabs - 10
Screws/Washers - 10
Tie Wraps - 6
Bent Wire - 5
Batteries - 3
Tent Stakes - 3

The costume earring was found in the dry sand while the costume hoop braclet was found at about 6" in the wet sand near the tide line.

Those tiny pieces of iron are included just to show how small a target this Sand Shark can hit!

But the biggest thrill was finding my first ring of the entire hunting season this summer. I've tried a few detectors over these past months, but only the Sand Shark was able to produce a ring. Yes, my excitement abated a bit when I saw "Tungsten Carbide" printed on the inside, but honestly, I don't care right now.

Anyway, had a great time. Hope you folks did as well.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
You said it would pick up anything...... Even a plastic soldier!!! ;D I use the White's dual field PI. I know there are some who would not agree, but I would rather be finding trash than finding nothing. Nothing gets boring after a while. Looks like you had fun and performed a public service cleaning the beach. HH Ralph

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they'll find everything... but for the last few months where I hunt is so sanded in a bobbie pin is a welcome signal...

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Man, very cool post! I was hoping to see more Tesoro posts, too. I am surprised that you only found a few coins, must be some serious competition going on there. Looking forward to your posts with that new machine, way to go, man.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
petersra said:
You said it would pick up anything...... Even a plastic soldier!!! ;D I use the White's dual field PI. I know there are some who would not agree, but I would rather be finding trash than finding nothing. Nothing gets boring after a while. Looks like you had fun and performed a public service cleaning the beach. HH Ralph

Yep. That's the third little green soldier I picked up in the last two weeks. They're usually tangled in the seaweed at the high tide line. I agree with you about finding trash. It's gets really boring swinging that detector and not hitting ANYTHING. At least this way I get to clean the beach a bit while I'm waiting for a good signal. ;D

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EpsilonMinus said:
Man, very cool post! I was hoping to see more Tesoro posts, too. I am surprised that you only found a few coins, must be some serious competition going on there. Looking forward to your posts with that new machine, way to go, man.

Thanks for the note.

Yes, the competition on Florida beaches is pretty fierce. But if you watch most people at the beach, their swing is too fast and their patterns are erratic. I doubt if the really cover 20% of what they think they do.

Thats why I don't believe any place is "hunted out".

I'll post this weekend's finds on Sunday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread