New Excalibur II 1000 i think i have a bad one please help

Snagglepuss

Oct 6, 2010
I just bought a brand new Excalibur II 1000 before the price increase well i charged the battery for 20 hours and it warmed up to 50 here in Michigan so i took it out side in the yard to test and i think i have a problem when i turn it on and adjust the threshold everything sounds normal than if i go over a bobbie pin it nulls out but when i move off the iron the threshold is a real low pitch buzz and wont change back to normal till i go over a good target then the threshhold goes to normal pitch just like when the detector is first turned on.I tried all different sensitivity settings with no change.Do i have a problem as I'm new to this machine I'm going to post in several forums to try to get the most response before i call minlab so please don't get upset if you see this post in another forum thanks in advance for all the responses Darren Holz

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snagglepuss said:
I just bought a brand new Excalibur II 1000 before the price increase well i charged the battery for 20 hours and it warmed up to 50 here in Michigan so i took it out side in the yard to test and i think i have a problem when i turn it on and adjust the threshold everything sounds normal than if i go over a bobbie pin it nulls out but when i move off the iron the threshold is a real low pitch buzz and wont change back to normal till i go over a good target then the threshhold goes to normal pitch just like when the detector is first turned on.I tried all different sensitivity settings with no change.Do i have a problem as I'm new to this machine I'm going to post in several forums to try to get the most response before i call minlab so please don't get upset if you see this post in another forum thanks in advance for all the responses Darren Holz

What you have is normal for the Excal and Sovereign, it does not affect the performance of the detector at all. The excal is just holding the last tone. If it bothers you, you can clear it if you pass it close to your scoop or another target.......

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or IM me, I will also IM you my cell phone if you want to talk in person about an issue....

Good luck, and good hunting...

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I also am a new Excal user and thought I had a problem as well. It is a very irritating sound so I find myself scanning my scoop often. I did however find that if you search in pinpoint (which I believe is all metal) you wont get that buzzing sound. Hope this helps. Harry

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This operation is normal for the Excal and Sovereign's when in disc mode. The threshole can come back low or high depending on the last target it passed over. It will still respond normally when you pass over a good target. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harryb007 said:
I also am a new Excal user and thought I had a problem as well. It is a very irritating sound so I find myself scanning my scoop often. I did however find that if you search in pinpoint (which I believe is all metal) you wont get that buzzing sound. Hope this helps. Harry

Hint, if there is eye candy on the beach, you hardly notice it......I have been using the Excal for over 5 years, I don't pay any attention to it, of course that may be because of the eye candy.... ;D

D

digum smacks

that is what it is supposed to do,nothing wrong there :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is the nice part about the Excal.....it nulls out on iron. To bring your threshold back just pass your coil over your scoop. The Excal threshold tone defaults to the last target sound for approx. 2 minutes. When water hunting, I have a "copper" penny (pre 1982) in my boot that I use to bring the threshold tone back to what I like.

There are additional instructions in the owners manual that need to be learned by heart if you want to be a successful hunter.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a normal response and is also valuable in determining the what the target may be.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
MT Pockets said:
I wouldn't use/ and haven't used PP for anything.. I dont even know if PP works on any of my Excal's...

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Did you try moving to a different location on your lawn?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for asking! I've been wondering about that for 2 years

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sis one of the reasons I sold mine before.
It is annoying after awhile.
I had to keep swinging my shovel over it to get the BUZZ to go away.

Snagglepuss said:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreenMeanie said:
Snagglepuss said:

That sis one of the reasons I sold mine before.
It is annoying after awhile.
I had to keep swinging my shovel over it to get the BUZZ to go away.

Never ever bothers me, and I have been using the Excal for over 4 years and own 2 excals, very easy to fix.....

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
My Sovereign does the same, but I understand that, so it doesn't concern me. Work with your detector and you will understand it more.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Sovereign GT. The tone changes are covered by the GT's manual. Still, out on the beach to get a different tone, one sweep of the scoop seems to get it done. Machine works great, I haven't missed a pull tab or bottle cap yet!!!!!!

One thing to do is to get very familiar with the different tones. On the GT a deep quarter sounds a lot like a shallow bottle cap. There is difference, but at times, the tones are very similar. Usually, the answer is to dig one scoop. If the target is still in the hole and giving the bottle cap tone, well, then that's what it is. If the tone get less buzzy ( note the use of technical jargin) then it's a coin or jewelry.

The Excal is the Go-To machine here in Jersey.

Good luck!!!!

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Treasure_Hunter said:
harryb007 said:

Hint, if there is eye candy on the beach, you hardly notice it......I have been using the Excal for over 5 years, I don't pay any attention to it, of course that may be because of the eye candy.... ;D

HAHA this is classic ;D

I mix between Pinpoint and Disc mode, depending on the amount of targets around. I am close to a beach with MANY targets and get fed up with bronze coins if the pickings are plentiful and go to Disc. Have found most rings deep with PP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions