Beach/Water Scoop: Straight or Angled Handle?

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
What do you prefer as far as a long handle beach/water scoop?

Do most prefer a straight handle?

Handle angled forward? (drag type)

Handle angled rearward?

I am trying to decide between a straight or 20 degree rearward angle, but having never used one before, don't know the advantages/disadvantages of each.

It seems the angled would be easier to dig with and push into the sand with the foot, requiring less leaning forward to use, but at the same time, may be a bit harder to lift out the dirt due to the angle and the dirt sliding out.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have also been doing a lot of research to upgrade my old scoop that is due for retirement. One thing I have found out that the rear mounted, post hole digger handle scoops do have an adjustable handle bracket that is due to be released this summer. It can replace the current upright handle bracket on the current scoops. The water is still frozen up north and testing has not been preformed yet.
This looks like it could be the best of both worlds.

Attachments

• handle at 90 deg resized.jpg
    handle at 90 deg resized.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 632
OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Can Slaw said:
One thing I have found out that the rear mounted, post hole digger handle scoops do have an adjustable handle bracket that is due to be released this summer.

Now THAT is interesting! You have any more pics? I'd like to see how it all comes together.

Where is the handle actually mounting? On top? On the back? Through the basket?

Wonder what kinda price that would carry?

Thanks!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All the above, and what is that picture of? I am interested in that type of scoop, (Sun spot type) and have it be an adjustable angle, and be able to lever it out (since it is/will be reinforced.) I have a RTG all stainless type, and yes you start with it handle up right, but when you have a pile of sand in it, you must grab near the scoop to pull up the stuff, or it will start falling out. And its heavy. 2 Hands operation. They both have their good points, and I feel that this may be a better one. If strong enough.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OK, here is what I have. It is still in the testing stages. The manufacture of the bracket is the manufacture of this scoop. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

From what I understand, the old handle mount, on the back of the scoop, would be unbolt and the "new" replacement would be bolted on top of the scoop and be able to be adjusted.

Here is the quote from the email I received from the manufacture along with the pictures.
I have developed an adjustable angle handle brkt to fit the large one but not the small one. It however is not for sale yet until it gets some dig time on it. I am a detectorist myself and wouldn't want to give up any of my hard earned cash for something that wasn't proven to work. It will bolt right on to the larger scoop once it is released. I've attached a couple of pictures

I have pretty much decided I am going to order his Pro Scoop with the hopes the adjustable bracket works and is released.

Attachments

111.6 KB · Views: 583
    111.6 KB · Views: 580
  • quartering view gusset bolted in resized.jpg
    quartering view gusset bolted in resized.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 586
  • rearview adjustable angle handle brkt on rev c. resized.jpg
    rearview adjustable angle handle brkt on rev c. resized.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 571

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Terrafisher said:
mcmurphi said:
Going to put it to the test this weekend.

Please post how it works out for you.

Thanks!
Thought I would let you know that I did take the Sun Spot out today to the rocky bottom lake. It took a bit to get used to the instability of digging into rock. For where I was it did not matter what scoop you were using it was going to be tough going. I was pleased how it worked considering the rough terrain. I liked that it floats. Also I did manage to dig a 1890 IH and a 1913 Wheat and WA state Tax token.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Terrafisher.adjustable handle only need to select the optimum angle.
this is easily done - after digging pits 300-400.
I use an angle 62 degrees.
handle straight wood with diameter 30mm

Attachments

• krepish-v11E.jpg
    krepish-v11E.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 433

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread