Beach/Water Scoop: Straight or Angled Handle?

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
What do you prefer as far as a long handle beach/water scoop?

Do most prefer a straight handle?

Handle angled forward? (drag type)

Handle angled rearward?

I am trying to decide between a straight or 20 degree rearward angle, but having never used one before, don't know the advantages/disadvantages of each.

It seems the angled would be easier to dig with and push into the sand with the foot, requiring less leaning forward to use, but at the same time, may be a bit harder to lift out the dirt due to the angle and the dirt sliding out.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just my opinion, but it has more to do with the angle of the bucket. If the bucket has a forward angle, then a rear angle handle so the handle is upright when the bucket is pushed into the sand, and just the opposite with a more level bucket. I have used both and as long as I can pull the handle back to dig out the target, it really doesn't matter to me.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I like it angled, as you can see from my avatar. To me it's easier, I don't have to reach forward to plant it in the sand. Plus I have more leverage. My major concern is will it take the stress loads or cause cracks and pole failure. With the scoop angled and secured at two separate points it's stronger, unfortunately the ScoopZilla is not a light weight. This is a heavy weight scoop and it can move lots of material if you have the strength to handle it. I made ScoopZilla so it's one of a kind!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned both and I much prefer a rear angle scoop, you don't have to lead the scoop so far over to get it started.....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have used the same scoop for nearly 30 years now it is the only one I have used except a hand held one. It has a 20 degree angle on it. Which my daughter use now and then when she goes out with me.....Matt

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree, with the rear angle scoop,IE, RTG all stainless, you start with the handle almost straight up, and push with your foot, and kind of use your arm. Kind of lever it back and then lift up. With the straight up type IE-Sunspot, you only can use your foot, and obviously, you must have the handle way forward, and step on the rear of the scoop, no levering, and then just lift scoop. Both are good, and I do know some have broken the straight kind by levering them. They dont have enough bracing, or solid bracing for strong levering.

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
That is just the kind of input I was looking for.

I was thinking more along the line of the rearward angle myself, but wanted the opinions of a few experienced users before I jumped in.

I appreciate all your thoughts.

Thanks again!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I have owned both and I much prefer a rear angle scoop, you don't have to lead the scoop so far over to get it started.....
I too have used both and while I like the Sunspot with the straight handle I wish it had a loop at the top so I wouldn't have to bend so far forward. I lift straight up in little hops with the left arm and there is no strain on the wrist for me like with a angled handle.
Either one you get you will get used to it and all that matters is how many holes it has and quality of materials. You will no doubt want to try out lots of designs to find the one that you are comfortable with in the areas you hunt the most. Dry sand, wet sand, in the waters surf, etc.
Here is the smaller Sunspot Stealth with magnets in front. Note the small earring stud in front of magnets. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Nikon1_025.JPG
    Nikon1_025.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Nikon1_025.JPG
    Nikon1_025.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 943

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
I prefer a straight handle versus an angled handle & I also like wood cause it floats. The scoop I use takes a big bite of bottom and when I lift it up full I don't loose contents out of scoop. I have tried the same scoop with an angled handle and it wore me out trying to keep it tilted back so contents wouldn't run out. I've heard that they are testing an adjustable angle handle for this scoop.

Steve :-)

Attachments

• belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,105
  • right side cropped Rev C.jpg
    right side cropped Rev C.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 994
  • right side cropped Rev C.jpg
    right side cropped Rev C.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 947
OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
The "Belly Of The Beast" scoop that Steve (KK) posted just above is almost exactly the same design physically that I am looking at.

The main differences are that the hole pattern is exactly like as shown for the "Sunspot Stealth" that Sandman posted, and the mouth is a smaller width than the "Belly Of The Beast". It also comes with a choice of either a straight or 20 degree rearward tilt for the handle.

Imagine the "Sunspot Stealth" with the handle mounting and rear plate like the "Belly Of The Beast".

The specs listed are as follows:

Manufacturer: A****a E*******t
H*******n, Minnesota

Handle Angles: Straight or 20 Degrees Back Angled
Material: 14GA Stainless Steel

Scoop Dimensions:
7 Inches Wide
6 Inches High
10.5 Inches Deep (10" deep on the straight handle version)
Weight: 3 LBS (w/o handle)

This Scoop is designed for a Post Hole Digger Handle, which can be found at any hardware store.
The handle should have a 1.375" x 1.375" square end at the bottom to insert into the sleeve.

Haven't made a decision yet, and am still looking for opinions.
Still considering possibly the RTG Royal or similar too, although i'm really liking the looks of these scoops and the Sunspot Stealths.
At the price, ($100/110 shipped) if I don't like it, I could still afford to buy something different.
Not like if I spent $200 to $250, then found out it wasn't what I wanted.

My real concern here is like the people posted above - with a straight handle you have to lean so far forward to dig, but with the angle handle, you have the extra stress on the wrist when lifting and shaking, as well as stuff running out due to the angle. Also concerned with the handle mount (looks like a weak point, but easy to reinforce).

I like the optional lifting handle that Sunspot sells. Pretty neat! Wonder how it would do mounted on the back of the handle and higher, rather than on front and low like they show? Might eliminate some leaning when digging.

Thanks again! I'm seeing some great choices and reading some very informative opinions.

You are all appreciated!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
If that is the one on Ebay, a big drawback that I saw with that scoop is the step plate for your foot. It is very narrow at the top which would be hard to get a good foot hold especially when trying to push the scoop into harder bottom. I can see the foot sliding off very easily with that scoop. There are areas of the beaches I hunt that have a clay mud bottom and I need all the "footprint" I can get on a scoop.

As for the lifting handle that Sunspot sells, they can be found in some of the Home Depot stores and are also available online. Nice part about those, they can be moved to another scoop, or adjusted for your comfort.

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
CS, thanks for the observation.

The Sunspot is looking better by the minute.

That would be all I would need is to slip a foot and slice open an ankle or shin. Talk about ruining a day of detecting... geez!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Here is ScoopZilla, I know it ugly and a brute but it's worked long and hard for 8 years! The pics will give you an idea of the angles and bracing. All of the cutting, bending and finally assembly was done by hand. Had a friend do the welding. The scoop is actually 3 separate pieces, top, the scoop, and the back.

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 817
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 826
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 849
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,010

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Yes it is ordinary PVC you get from Lowe's, or Home Depot. It isn't for strength, I designed it more as a handle to hold on to as I detect and drag it in the water with the scoop face up and for pulling it backward out of the sand hole once it's broken free of the matrix. It reduced the the fatigue in carrying the scoop for 6 to 8 hours of detecting. It still causes some stress, the scoop weighs in at 13+ pounds. The 1 inch aluminum S pipe is the same as the 6 foot handle, it is used to help break it free of the sand / water matrix, it also assist me in hefting ScoopZilla out of the water. I did some design testing at Clear Water beach without the S shaped aluminum pipe and I struggled every time to get the scoop off the bottom, as I guesstimated that when the scoop is full of sand and shells it's weight exceeds 35 pounds. The handle also has a broom stick handle driven through the center to add strength and some flexibility. Previous use without the broom handle over one year bent the aluminum handle with multiple stress cracks, almost to the point of failure. The current configuration I have been using for the past 8 years, without any failures.
Like I said previously it ain't pretty, it ain't for everyone, but it works for me! :tongue3:

Sand Scoop

Oct 7, 2006
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT--Excal II
kaptainkosmic said:
I prefer a straight handle versus an angled handle & I also like wood cause it floats. The scoop I use takes a big bite of bottom and when I lift it up full I don't loose contents out of scoop. I have tried the same scoop with an angled handle and it wore me out trying to keep it tilted back so contents wouldn't run out. I've heard that they are testing an adjustable angle handle for this scoop.

Steve :-)
The scoop pictured with the wood post hole digger handle could be angled slightly back to help in getting a bite in really hard shell ground.Also the handle is getting harder to find since the newer post hole handles are round at the bottom and the hardware stores are carrying the round replacement handle instead of the square bottom.The only place I have found them are farm stores and then I buy 3 or 4.

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
I just purchased the Sun Spot for the NW. Going to put it to the test this weekend. Sandman seems to know what he is talking about so that is the one I purchased. I did not get the bigger of the two sizes.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sunspot design because it allows you to fit the angle of the handle the way you want. I made a couple of wood shims for mine a 5, 10, and 20 Degree. I ended up liking the 10 deg. shim the best. It gives me a nice entry angle for starting the dig but still retains good leverage for breaking the basket loose from the bottom.

I liked the look of the square handle personally, so I just took a knife and sliced off the "corners" so it would fit through the round hole at the top of the scoop.

I've been using this set up for about a year now with no problems. :icon_thumright:

HH.

Attachments

• scoop mod 2-1 - Copy.jpg
    scoop mod 2-1 - Copy.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 684
  • scoop mod 2-2 Copy.jpg
    scoop mod 2-2 Copy.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 712

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Terrafisher said:
mcmurphi said:
Going to put it to the test this weekend.

Please post how it works out for you.

Thanks!

I will post what I find and how she works. The lake bottom where I will be, is pretty rocky, so I know it's going to be tough going. I had used my hand scoop there along with my dry suit and I floundered around a lot but did manage to find some keepers that way. This will much better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread