Hard Hunting Conditions ...Florida River.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted in a lot of places and in a lot of tough conditions, but this one rates right up there as being one of the toughest. Layers of hard packed shell and clay, slaw every few inches, and because of all the packed shell every time you did finally scoop a target it was like trying to sort through a ball of thick goo lacked with razor blades. I gave it 30 minutes and came back out, going to have to rethink this one. But I did learn where Florida stashes all their crushed beer cans and pull tabs! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You know the hardest places can be the best, as no one else wants to do it. Good luck!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan to go back with a smaller coil and a different scoop, the excal and wot just wasn't working out with so much slaw in the bottom.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Scoop,

i would suggest trying a non metalic sifter with a pinpointer. It will pretty much eliminate poking around in the sharp stuff to find your targets. Clay, muck and marl just go away eventually, but you can speed up the process by swirling water around inside sifter. be carefull if you decide to "chop" the heavy stuff up, it seems like everytime i do i
find the target with my chopping tool and put a dinger in it.

Hope this helps.

Steve :-)

Attachments

• rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 322
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 318
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 317
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 296

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kaptainkosmic said:
Scoop,

i would suggest trying a non metalic sifter with a pinpointer. It will pretty much eliminate poking around in the sharp stuff to find your targets. Clay, muck and marl just go away eventually, but you can speed up the process by swirling water around inside sifter. be carefull if you decide to "chop" the heavy stuff up, it seems like everytime i do i
find the target with my chopping tool and put a dinger in it.

Hope this helps.

Steve :-)
Do you like the scoop in the picture, and how much does it weigh ? I'm trying to figure out which scoop to buy. I'm leaning toward the RTG 6 inch pro scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions