Looking for Hunting Suggestions Please

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
My plan is to hit the Gulf Monday morning near Texas and hunt in locales I have previously scounted on the internet that have been the site of beach/water parties or happen to be near huge resort/condos, etc. (I can also e-mail Texas metal detecting clubs ahead of time to garner info.). Also, I really am seeing the importance of weather and looking for serious disturbances in the sand in the water. (Seriously, I just understood last night for the first time that sand bars form as result of the sand that has been pulled out from the area near the shoreline!). And that deeper part between the shoreline and the sandbar is a great place to hunt. (I had previously been thinking for some reason that the top of the sand bar out in the water is a good place to hunt!).

OK, so far, so good - right. Now, after arriving 2-3 hours before full low tide and metal detecting for 3 or so hours, where do you all go when the tide starts to come in. Do you hit the dry sand with a dry sand dectector, or do you hit the shallows and the shoreline where the waves are crashing? Also, do you not hunt between, say, 11 am-3 pm due to not being rude to sunbathers and also to avoid maximum sun exposure?

Then I am thinking of sleeping in my rental car and going back to where I just was - the Clearwater and the Indian Rocks Beach area. It seems the east coast is too rough to hunt, correct?

Any suggestions to this plan would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You got the basics. You cant find anything unless you are out there looking.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
My plan is to hit the Gulf Monday morning near Texas and hunt in locales I have previously scounted on the internet that have been the site of beach/water parties or happen to be near huge resort/condos, etc. (I can also e-mail Texas metal detecting clubs ahead of time to garner info.). Also, I really am seeing the importance of weather and looking for serious disturbances in the sand in the water. (Seriously, I just understood last night for the first time that sand bars form as result of the sand that has been pulled out from the area near the shoreline!). And that deeper part between the shoreline and the sandbar is a great place to hunt. (I had previously been thinking for some reason that the top of the sand bar out in the water is a good place to hunt!).

OK, so far, so good - right. Now, after arriving 2-3 hours before full low tide and metal detecting for 3 or so hours, where do you all go when the tide starts to come in. Do you hit the dry sand with a dry sand dectector, or do you hit the shallows and the shoreline where the waves are crashing? Also, do you not hunt between, say, 11 am-3 pm due to not being rude to sunbathers and also to avoid maximum sun exposure?

Any suggestions to this plan would be appreciated.

Obviously you never went to the The Golden Olde like we suggested to you several times when you first started..... Every sincle question you just asked was answered there in great detail including pictures of how a beach is made up, where the different zones were, how to hunt them and when to hunt them.... If you had gone and read it, and then downloaded and saved the info found there you would have it now......... Unfortunately that site is no longer available....

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How many times do you folks need to be told that your dealing with a game player?
Manipulating people seems to be a hobby or a profession. Maybe an obsession?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"How many times do you folks need to be told that your dealing with a game player?
Manipulating people seems to be a hobby or a profession. Maybe an obsession?"

He won't go there and read it!! We should all Follow Montauk3's advice. :violent1:

Here is the link for Norm's site that I use. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildman4910 said:
My link to it still works, great info and I need to copy it to the ol' hard drive.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/oldego3.htm

Go and read and save it this time!!

~~Happy Hunting~~

I tried accessing it on my work laptop, when I couldn't get to it I thought it was down, it must be blocked....Some sites are.....Thanks, good to know it is still up...

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
"How many times do you folks need to be told that your dealing with a game player?
Manipulating people seems to be a hobby or a profession. Maybe an obsession?"

He won't go there and read it!! We should allFollow Montauk3's advice. :violent1:

:thumbsup:

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I tried wildman's link it still worked for me also.

If you ask someone for help and they take the time to give you the answer for your questions, and you obviously don't use the advice then you have just wasted their time. This is not only annoying for them but it is annoying for everyone that has to see it happen over and over and over again.

Overkill, perhaps it would be less stressful for you if you find another hobby that doesn't require as much thinking!!!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
TexasRT said:
I tried wildman's link it still worked for me also.

If you ask someone for help and they take the time to give you the answer for your questions, and you obviously don't use the advice then you have just wasted their time. This is not only annoying for them but it is annoying for everyone that has to see it happen over and over and over again.

Overkill, perhaps it would be less stressful for you if you find another hobby that doesn't require as much thinking!!!
BRAVO! BRAVO!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
It seems to me whatever you did on your last trip to Tampa didn't work, do just the opposite on this trip. That is how you will learn without studying and reading. Me, I just ordered 3 more of Clive Clynick's new books. May not be anything new, but it may remind me of things I have forgotten to use.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
It seems to me whatever you did on your last trip to Tampa didn't work, do just the opposite on this trip. That is how you will learn without studying and reading. Me, I just ordered 3 more of Clive Clynick's new books. May not be anything new, but it may remind me of things I have forgotten to use.

This is another reason I have thegoldenolde site set on my Favorites I go back to it often especially when I have cabin fever or am in a dry spell.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Attachments

• NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 257
  • NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for your replies! Happy Hunting to all.

I've kind of committed to not shaving until there's gold in my scoop!!!! I'll let you know if, (and when), that happens!!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Sandman said:
Can Slaw said:

This is another reason I have thegoldenolde site set on my Favorites http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/
I go back to it often especially when I have cabin fever or am in a dry spell.

Thankfully, when Norm passed away I copied his entire website onto a CD. That saved most of the pictures and everything. I also enjoy re-reading and remembering Norm. He was the true pioneer of water detecting.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:

I've kind of committed to not shaving until there's gold in my scoop!!!! I'll let you know if, (and when), that happens!!

I am under the impression that this is a short trip you are planning and that money is tight (i.e. sleeping in a rental car). If this is the case then instead of spending all that money (for airfare, rental car, parking, restaurants, etc.) and time on travel, with the hope of hitting the right beach at the right time - why not simply look for places close to home? I am not sure where you live but aren't there parks, beaches (freshwater or saltwater), swimming holes, etc? Just because you fly across the country does not mean you are going to do any better, particularly if you are very limited on time.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Montauk3 said:
How many times do you folks need to be told that your dealing with a game player?
Manipulating people seems to be a hobby or a profession. Maybe an obsession?
U just keep getting it RIGHT

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 320
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 311

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Overkill Overkill said:

Holding ones breath might work better

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Overkill Overkill said:

Holding ones breath might work better
Good try but he never takes anyones advice.

grover868

Greenie
Mar 31, 2011
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro, DFX
I don't know if overkill will be visiting Norm's website, The Golden Olde or not...but I know I will be and often. Thank you Treasure_Hunter for mentioning it, and thank you wildman for posting the link to this very informative site.

I had never heard of The Golden Olde, or know Norm, but it is clear the hobby has lost a fine human being, and a decent man.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grover868 said:
I don't know if overkill will be visiting Norm's website, The Golden Olde or not...but I know I will be and often. Thank you Treasure_Hunter for mentioning it, and thank you wildman for posting the link to this very informative site.

I had never heard of The Golden Olde, or know Norm, but it is clear the hobby has lost a fine human being, and a decent man.

Golden Olde is worth it's weight in gold................Literally

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread