Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks....

I found this old USMC cross a few weeks back, took a tremendous amount of work to get it looking like it does.
Found about a 1 1/2 ft down in black lake muck, it was encrusted with so much black I didnt know it was a cross... Chain was not found with it, but in same area hunted. It is marked "Italy".. Doubt they were together when lost..

My question is, when the heck did they switch from marking silver jewelry from "Sterling" to ".925"?
Only thing I find on the web says 1906, but I am quite sure they stamped "Sterling" well into the 40's?

Going to sell it rather than melt it, and want as much authenticating info as is possible. I feel comfortable calling it an "antique", but wish I had a better handle on a possible year range..

Hope the pic's help. I imagine it hanging around a WWII vet's neck, and the area hunted used to be a playground for military folks during WWII and even back to WWI..
I did post this in the "Antique" section for help also..

Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• USMC Cross 1.jpg
    USMC Cross 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 954
  • USMC cross 2.jpg
    USMC cross 2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 860
  • USMC cross 3.jpg
    USMC cross 3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,505
  • USMC Cross 1.jpg
    USMC Cross 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 841
  • USMC cross 2.jpg
    USMC cross 2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 739
  • USMC cross 3.jpg
    USMC cross 3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Partially found what I was looking for... There are several of these, exactly the same, on ebay... But they are selling as "new"... I have written to them asking if marked .925 or Sterling.. We'll see what they say.. Selling for $50 up to $70... Better than melt for sure, but casts doubts that it is really old.. Might be just a few years old. I'll let you know what they write back..

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a beautiful find, SS! :headbang:

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
That is nice! Should you decide to sell the cross PM me please.

Semper Fi

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked as a silver and gold smith for a while. My opinion is that American made silver is marked "Sterling", and foreign made is marked "925". HH Niffler

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are 2 really nice pieces of silver :icon_salut: I'm no expert but I think you might be able to date it by the "Globe & Anchor". If I recall there were some slight variations made to the USMC logo over the years. I was not a Marine so I'm not 100%. It's worth a shot.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn said:
An interesting find SS and you cleaned it up very well. How did you do it?
Vinegar to start, then Tarn-x for a short soak, then electrolysis for about ten minutes.. Now I just need to buff it with jewelers rouge..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnt-k9 said:
Those are 2 really nice pieces of silver :icon_salut: I'm no expert but I think you might be able to date it by the "Globe & Anchor". If I recall there were some slight variations made to the USMC logo over the years. I was not a Marine so I'm not 100%. It's worth a shot.
I have a feeling that it was made by the same outfit that made the ones that I saw for sale... I am guessing that the same style could not be exactly copied by a different company. When they answer my email about how their new ones are stamped, I will know more... I will check the details of the piece more closely to look for more subtle differences.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess it is old.... The epay sellers I wrote to both replied that their "New" identical crosses are stamped .925 and not Sterling... Guess the design is popular enough to have been around for awhile..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread