Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sand Scoop Help

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Human

Sep 2008
    Earth
    Whites MXT Pro with 10 X 12 S.E.F. Coil
    98 times
    Metal Detecting

Sand Scoop Help

Im looking to get my first sand scoop. I will be using it in wet sand. Is there any scoops that are better than others? Id like one that I can step on the back of it to push it in the sand and one that wont break!!! Any help is appreciated!!! And if anyone is selling a good one let me know!!

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1931 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Sand Scoop Help

A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.
    http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The smaller holes in front are great for holding those earring backs or studs.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    hamiddetecting likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3121 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Charter Member
    us
    83+ on the CB List, Hammer time

Dec 2008
    Ocean City / Chesapeake Bay
    ViperII / Diablo titanium scoops
    855 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Soon to be, (make that 2) Diablo ti's....Very Light & Strong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ti grade 5.JPG 
Views:	635 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	532707  

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!
    Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...
    Sandman and firemac like this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Human

Sep 2008
    Earth
    Whites MXT Pro with 10 X 12 S.E.F. Coil
    98 times
    Metal Detecting

Thanks for the replies. Ill look into those. The spot I have in utah probably does not have a lot of small earrings but when I go to Ventura CA for my yearly vacation im sure there are some down there!!

us
    Jul 2010
    Honolulu
    Excal II, DF
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by OldeBeechnut
    Soon to be, Diablo ti....Very Light & Strong
    You building it OBN? Bet the Ti sheets cost a pretty penney eh?

Jul 2004
    S.W. Michigan
    CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
    6 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wet Sand is tough for any scoop...

It's not bad if you can rinse with water or use the scoop and fling method.

Wet sand just plain doesn't like to sift.

Keep in mind that scoop guys are just like detector guys and just like car guys. If you are a Ford guy Chevy's suck and vice versa. There are several quality scoops available, some better suited to certain situations.

This is the scoop that I use I think it is the best at catching the small stuff, its pretty tough and its made in the USA which for me is a determining factor.

Steve :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	52809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	52810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TINYWK2.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	52811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	532752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	532753  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TINYWK2.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	532754  
    Persuaverance is the only true talent!

KaptainKosmic

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2008
    855 times

You building it OBN? Bet the Ti sheets cost a pretty penney eh?
    Cost was about a 100 a sheet, 20 dollars a pound..ebay great price..Been working with a friend Greg on the design of a scoop called Diablo for over a year now, the time is near for production. My input was I wanted a scoop for when I get older..light in weight, can endure the beating of years of use and a fast drainer in any conditions, Plus a hard deep hitter..hence 13 inchs long, 6.5 wide, SS weights in a few ounces under 5lbs, Titanium is hitting around 4 lbs, and the 7075 aluminum is a killer 3 lbs/13 ozs..I used it for my day trip to OC last week, Love that scoop...Should have a couple ti scoops by late june, Sorry no pic's yet, still tied up in the patent office.......

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2008
    855 times

Got the Ok to post these pic's of the diablo scoop...One other thing I love About this scoop, it hits deep on the first dig, and in 3 your down to 24 inchs...I've always said, the more you dig, the more the chance of losing the target in ruff waters..

us
    May 2011
    Halifax, N.C.
    Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
    151 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Best of the best scoops on this thread.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3121 times
    Metal Detecting

Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...
    [/quote]

That, is a great heads up! Thank you!
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

us
    May 2011
    MineLab Excalibur and Soverign

Treasure-hunter:
    Thanks for the tip...I'm going to do that w/my scoop...I'll bet you recover more chains also....

Mike

us
    May 2011

Oldbeachnut:
    Any settled price on this beautiful piece of equipment? You'll get a pretty penny from me for it...looks top quality to me!!!!

Mike

us
    May 2011

Max:
    I think I'll try back mounting my Excal...loks to be real easy on the arm....

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors