Early bird....

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
This morning I decided to go a little farther south. I usually stay pretty much close to home but someone is hunting either late afternoon or at night where I go and they do a very good job of it. They do not leave me much! Well you've heard the old saying the early bird catches the worm? Not in this hobby! It is the late bird that catches the worms and doesn't leave much for the early birds. Well, first come first served. **sigh** So like I said I went a little farther south this morning and .... same thing. I was there at first light but... someone had already hunted. I could tell by all the holes I was stepping in. At the first beach I found 2 cheap earrings and 1 penny. OK the late bird got the goods so on to another beach. Against my better judgement I went on to Clearwater beach. Now you all know I hate that beach. It's a nice beach but I never find anything there. It is really pounded by other hunters and by the time I get there in the morning.... most of it is gone. I spent 2 hours there this morning and found 1 penny and 1 bottle cap. I got so bored that I started throwing in my own coins that I carry for testing. I threw a dime in and what do you know.... I COULDN'T FIND THE DARN THING! I looked to see where I was at and then finally went on. Still nothing, nothing, nothing. Boy, this is depressing! I decided to give up and started back to where I started in the water and when I got to the area about where I had thrown in the dime.... I FOUND IT! LOL That was too funny. I knew it was the same dime since I mark them so I will know if it is mine. I did find one more penny as I was getting out of the water.

Remember I said I found 2 earrings at the first beach? Strange.... one of them is the mate to one I found at that same place last month! Real weird that some other hunter didn't find it in all that time.

Earrings060411.jpg

So my take this morning for two beaches and 4 hours of hunting was .... 7 cents, 2 cheap earrings and 1 bottle cap. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

060411.jpg

Like I said.... it's the late bird that catches the worm in this hobby! ;D

Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, Mumszie..I always enjoy reading your posts.

Those earrings could be silver? No markings on them...maybe with a little tarn-x and Baking soda scrub, there might be a silver mark...I like the style of those earrings.

Lorraine

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Lorrain. said:

Those earrings could be silver? No markings on them...maybe with a little tarn-x and Baking soda scrub, there might be a silver mark...I like the style of those earrings.

Lorraine

No, not silver... no markings. Just junk

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
Lorrain. said:

Lorraine

No, not silver... no markings. Just junk

Sorry....I wish you luck on your next detecting adventure,Mumszie
Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to be the early bird but with so many hunting at night you do lots better following people around like a vulture.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Sandman said:
It used to be the early bird but with so many hunting at night you do lots better following people around like a vulture.

I think that is the way they are beginning to view us too. We certainly don't seem to be very popular with people. **sigh**

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever notice when you are around some people they always clasp their chains and valuables. Early bird does good but those Night Owls do better, providing the sharks are not out there feeding!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:

Amen! I have even thought about hunting using a butterfly net ;D

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie, your persistence is inspiring. I'm sure the payoff is comin'.

Les West Central Fl said:
Ever notice when you are around some people they always clasp their chains and valuables.
I see that all the time, it's hilarious!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread