Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and a Pal hit CWB for a few hours today after the rains. Tide was a wee bit low and decided to hit the outter sand bar against my better judgement ... Sure enough, over stayed my welcome, tide was in, water was deep, had to make the long swim back to shore.

As I start the initial swim, the boot decides its going to come off. Great. I venture back to the bar, off the other boot, and tie them both up in the headphones and off I go again. I'm doing the back stroke in, bout half way im running outta air, choking down water, massive wave overtakes me, down I go, into the gut goes about 2 gals of seawater - yummy. I resurface, choking, gasping for air, try and continue onward, when overtook by another wave, down I go again and this time, lost the grasp on my RTG scoop. Too panicked to look for it at that point, and it didnt wash back in --- Somewhere behind the sand pearl / hilton area, if you come across it, help a damn-near-drowned Dew get his RTG back.

Prior to all that fun, I did muster up a Silver ring with lots of fake bling (6g) and a small toe ring.

Happy Hunting - And stay safe. It can happen to anyone.

Attachments

• 0626 001.jpg
    0626 001.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 0626 002.jpg
    0626 002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DewGuru

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been out several times, no joy as of yet. I'm thinking a tourist has since found it. With the neg tide cycle we're on it would have been easily found. Ah well. Bummer for me. Copped a new one couple of days ago back to pounding on the surf once again. Looking forward to the holiday drops!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you'll find it yet DG! Mind you, with all the flipping bling YOU find, that scoop was paid for in 1894! :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never minded being a small guy, (135 - 140lbs soaking wet), until I realized that I simply can't hold my ground in the pounding east coast surf, even when it's not that bad. I take it most of you guys are pretty stout, you lucky dogs! Anyway, glad to hear another one made it back to shore safe and sound. :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
mcscs said:
After a few trips you don't even notice it's on. PFD
you wear a seat belt on the way to the beach.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81117944.htm?bct=;ciinflatable-pfds

there are a lot of cheaper ones available I've seen good quality for as low as $75 with co2 cartridge

The most sensible advice to be found on Treasurenet.com!
Amazes me that so many experienced water detectorists and even non-swimmers will venture out into water above waist deep and believe they're totally safe! Mishaps happen as we all know, and many of us are getting on in years too..try having a mild heart attack, a stroke, or even bad cramp in waist deep water!
Common sense really?

In the water i use 2 arm lengths of thin orange nylon cord tied to my scoop, and a snap clip on the other end that just clips onto my belt or even a belt loop in your shorts. Means i can swim and not lose it or if the worst comes to the worst...just unclip it quickly and drop it. Same goes for the detector really, although i don't because the seas here are fairly shallow and mostly calm. In rough weather...i don't go in. Simple! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread