Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and a Pal hit CWB for a few hours today after the rains. Tide was a wee bit low and decided to hit the outter sand bar against my better judgement ... Sure enough, over stayed my welcome, tide was in, water was deep, had to make the long swim back to shore.

As I start the initial swim, the boot decides its going to come off. Great. I venture back to the bar, off the other boot, and tie them both up in the headphones and off I go again. I'm doing the back stroke in, bout half way im running outta air, choking down water, massive wave overtakes me, down I go, into the gut goes about 2 gals of seawater - yummy. I resurface, choking, gasping for air, try and continue onward, when overtook by another wave, down I go again and this time, lost the grasp on my RTG scoop. Too panicked to look for it at that point, and it didnt wash back in --- Somewhere behind the sand pearl / hilton area, if you come across it, help a damn-near-drowned Dew get his RTG back.

Prior to all that fun, I did muster up a Silver ring with lots of fake bling (6g) and a small toe ring.

Happy Hunting - And stay safe. It can happen to anyone.

Attachments

• 0626 001.jpg
    0626 001.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 0626 002.jpg
    0626 002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW !! What a bad experience .Too bad about the scoop but at least you are alright. I saw that piece on tv when you returned the wedding band to the owner . You helped others when they needed help so hopefully someone will read this forum and return your scoop. Thanks for sharing . You may have saved someone else from a near drowning with your posting. Take care.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
if you come across it, help a damn-near-drowned Dew get his RTG back.

Prior to all that fun, I did muster up a Silver ring with lots of fake bling (6g) and a small toe ring.

Happy Hunting - And stay safe. It can happen to anyone.

A few years back that happened to me right in about the same area. I have one if those super long handled scoops and was able to use it like a pogo stick to got back or I might not have made it. It's hard to swim with all the gear. Good to see you made it though and that's what counts. You can buy a new scoop. You can't buy a new Dew :laughing7: Hope you get it back. It should be right where it landed if you hit it at a good low tide.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is going to scoop up a scoop. Glad you made it back to shore.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Glad you are OK. That's the most important thing. :hello2:. If it was me I would be there at the next low tide to look for it. Best of luck looking for it. Things have a way of coming back to you when you have done good deeds before. Hopefully it will be returned to you soon. You are lucky I do not live down there, because if I found it knowing it was yours, and all the gold rings it has found, I would gold plate it and mount it on the wall. Man, if that scoop could talk, how many rings would it tell us about. ;D Nice finds today even though I know you are stressed by todays events....HH...Stuart

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are OK. Lucky that there was no rip tide. Hope you get your scoop back! The current here in Bradenton was strong this evening.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Sand Bar DG! Scare - REE! :o

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa!!!!!!!!!!! :o glad you made it out of there!!!!!! id help you out if i was down there!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sure glad you are here to make the ABP. That is scarey, been there, done that.....no fun. Hopefully low tide tomorrow the scoop will be there.

Chuck

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
When it is all said and done the scoop, the rings and even the detector matter none. You are home and safe and can tell the story.
And speaking of scoops I am going today to try out my brand new sunspot stealth. It sure looks like the best scoop I have ever seen and the people at sunspot are super nice people to do business with.

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, That could have been real bad! Glad to hear you are OK minus the scoop. I left CWB right after the rain and said good luck to someone who was just getting there. Hope it wasn't you or you're probably cursing me for telling you good luck :) I'll keep my eyes open for your RTG when I'm in that area.

Aaron

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew! Your a lucky guy. Panick people are less likely too make it. You kept your cool. I've saved two different hunters doing the same thing. I've also been in the same situation with 30lbs of lead. NOT FUN!. Glad your OK! 8)

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew! I'd like to help you find it if you'd like.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dew, i did the same thing down in sarasota, and just about made it, i had my chin all the way up and useing my scoop to lift me up and on tiptoes and made it, never did that again, for one i can't swim so that doesn't help any, real scarry. Harold

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes we all get in over our heads!! Hope you get your scoop, if not you can borrow one of mine.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, what's the problem? You lost a giant metal object and you own a metal detector!!!!

The ocean is an unforgiving teacher. So many take it for granted. Glad you survived the lesson.

Hopefully, whoever finds your scoop isn't one of those finders keepers types and is honest enough to return it. If not, the glass half full POV is losing only a scoop in that situation is a cheap price to pay.

HH and oh, Nice finds!!!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DewGuru, I am surprized you havent found it yet with the calmness we have had lately. Also surprized that no one has found it and got ahold of you yet. Years ago I thought I would look in the lost and found in the newspaper and see if anyone lost a gold ring at the beach, and a guy from Sarasota had lost his metal detector and put it in the lost and found. (pre internet days) I called him and he told me where, at Turtle Beach on Siesta and said he was going out with someone else with a detector to hopefully find it. He called me back later and told me he found it. It was rough that day he lost it, and it wasnt tied to him. Hopefully you can get out there and find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions