Lajolla Beach San Diego IS it A Emerald?

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a while since my last post. Left the desert and went to San Diego this past weekend, considering the weather in the desert was sun and HOT 111 degrees.

Saturday 7/2/2011 marked an OK day. Got to the beach around 0815, saw three people out metal detecting. Met one guy and he was using a Minelab. He found a few coins.

I headed out. I had not used my Sea Hunter in a while and had to get myself back in the sand hunting mode. As always I dig my great share of nails and nails and nails. Then I did hit a quarter and three penny's. As I was walking down the beach just a swinging away, came across a big hit. Didn't sound like the regular coin hit. Thinking to myself oh yea probably some can. Took out a plug and behold my eyes. A ring, further identification was 925 Silver, with a green (Emerald?? ) stone, and the company SETA . Shown the guy with the Minelab and he offered up a trade for his bracelet he found with some stones. Didn't take the trade. Heck this is my first ring at the beach. Walked some more and found more coins, quarters and dimes.

Well spent three hours swinging the Garrett. Afterwards went back and sat down next to the wife, and shown her my finds. One Silver Green stoned Ring , seven quarter's, five dimes and three penny's. Yea I placed all the nails in the trash. Stayed there till about 12 Noon and then left. The beach was getting packed. I decided I would come out again tomorrow. Swinging the detector kind of stressed out my arm. Heck couldn't even relax due to my arm shaking so much .

Day two, Sunday 7/3/2011. Got to the beach this time earlier, 0800, nope not earlier then everyone else. Drove around for a while waiting for a parking spot . Ran into the same guy from Saturday, he said there must have been twenty or more people here earlier. Told me he saw one woman even holding the edge of the wall swinging. Oh well let me give it a whirl. Found of course more nails, and the same old junk . No rings, did find plenty of penny's though. Must have been more then twenty.

I dug twenty of the hits and basically gave up. Started thinking to myself. Who would loose this many penny's in one spot? then I got a clue. Hmmm, How would someone like to frustrate a metal detectorist? Throw a handfull of penny's in the sand and watch them dig. I did give up after digging twenty hits. There was more there. Not one silver. So I leaned on the conclusion that they were placed there intentionally. I normally dig everything, walked away this time. Beach was beginning to pack up, so decided to leave. That day Nails of course, and twenty penny's.

Two days of detecting at a very popular beach in San Diego. Next time though I will show up earlier. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice looking ring...Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

As much as I love finding the silver rings...when there are stones..invariably the stones are phony.

But don't let me rain on your parade...you can have it checked out at a Jeweler's...and here's hoping you've got the exception.

HH Joe

PS: I found the ring situation here (Seal Beach, a bit north of San Diego) was especially poor this year.

OP
OP
The Master Chief

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, Know what you mean with rings. Lajolla is a huge beach, finding the ring was a plus, knowing other people were searching made me feel quite good. As everyone knows there will always be missed targets due to moving to fast or the cone of the coil. Used the Sea Hunter. I will take it to a Jeweler and find out the worth. Who knows. but is was pretty cool. I have searched the internet and can't find any Silver 925 SETA rings with a green stone.

Gamblur

Apr 22, 2009
San Diego CA
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Thats a nice ring Chief, I wouldn't have traded either :laughing7:

I hunted La Jolla on Sunday as well (my folks live in San Diego so I try to hunt the beaches down there when I can). Got there at 5 am and there were already two guys working it! Also, many people were there claiming good beach spots, crazy. Parking filled up quick. By the time I left at around 7:45 am it was pretty crowded, you would think it was mid day with people swimming etc.

I was using an excal but forgot to charge my battery so it was acting funny (lots of erratic sounds), did manage to find two small silver braclets though.

Also, they rake the beach super early, sometimes the night before so I usually just hunt the wet sand.

OP
OP
The Master Chief

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:
Nice looking ring...Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

As much as I love finding the silver rings...when there are stones..invariably the stones are phony.

But don't let me rain on your parade...you can have it checked out at a Jeweler's...and here's hoping you've got the exception.

HH Joe

PS: I found the ring situation here (Seal Beach, a bit north of San Diego) was especially poor this year.

Took the ring to a jeweler in Palmdale. He stated by his view it is a great emerald and is worth allot more then the ring itself. He couldn't check the ring's stone with his current equipment. He suggested to take it to a gemologist to get his thoughts. Approx value $400. Took it to another jeweler they stated its nice but looks machined. Approx. $100. Well I am not getting rid of it. Its the first Ring from San Diego this Year. At least it looks nice.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find with the emerald ring! It may be the exception but one can find a good stone in silver. I found a ring stamped sterling with a small diamond in it. Notice the secure setting to ensure that the diamond does not come loose and how small the diamond is in relation to the ring.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 446

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is a beauty , Master Chief1 :hello2:

Enjoyable post...

Lorraine

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Great looking ring, I wouldn't have traded it either. Just because it is silver, doesn't mean the stone is fake, I have a silver ring with a real ruby, and many other silver rings all with real stones, alot of people like silver because it is stronger. So never say never! Try taking it to a pawnshop, we have one we use, and buy from. They check our stuff for us for free, and we also have a jeweler too!!! Keep us posted please!!! :icon_thumright: Red :hello: HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread