HELP - I need recommendations on a Finds Pouch that will work for the water

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Guys!

Just starting Fresh and Salt water hunting and my pouch has a little pocket with a zipper for the good stuff. The other metal stuff just floats in the pouch and I am worried about it eventually floating out or falling out while I am detecting meaning I would have to hunt the same targets. Once I get a nail up with my Pulse Induction machine I don' :help:t want it floating back out of my pouch to the bottom of the lake or shore for me to dig again?

Are there any pouches that will work in salt water and wont rust??

Thanks

Upvote 0

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods section and in the camping equipment you will find fanny packs by Outdoor Products. They come in gray or black. They have a large zippered pocket with a smaller but still adequately sized outer zipperd pocket. Also is an even smaller zippered pocket that sits on the inside of the pack next to your body. If you rinse the zippers and the entire pouch out regularly, especially after every use in salt water, then they are very sturdy and will last a long time. They are $7 dollars or so and have a nice nylon webbing belt with plastic clip flasteners. In the same section you can pick up a "lashing strap" which is a nylon webbing strap with the same type fastener. Cut it and place one half on your scoop handle using zip ties and the other onto your fanny pack webbing belt then you can have your scoop drag behind you and it won't fatique your arm, it will leave a nice drag mark in the sand to help you grid better and keeps the scoop close by when you are in the water. If you cut the strap for the scoop properly you can dig with your scoop without ever having to un clip the strap holding it to your fanny pack. I tried other pouches and methods before "engineering" this one about 3 years ago and this works flawlessly. Try it, trust me you will not be disappointed. HH

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Captain Loosechange said:
Go to Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods section and in the camping equipment you will find fanny packs by Outdoor Products. They come in gray or black. They have a large zippered pocket with a smaller but still adequately sized outer zipperd pocket. Also is an even smaller zippered pocket that sits on the inside of the pack next to your body. If you rinse the zippers and the entire pouch out regularly, especially after every use in salt water, then they are very sturdy and will last a long time. They are $7 dollars or so and have a nice nylon webbing belt with plastic clip flasteners. In the same section you can pick up a "lashing strap" which is a nylon webbing strap with the same type fastener. Cut it and place one half on your scoop handle using zip ties and the other onto your fanny pack webbing belt then you can have your scoop drag behind you and it won't fatique your arm, it will leave a nice drag mark in the sand to help you grid better and keeps the scoop close by when you are in the water. If you cut the strap for the scoop properly you can dig with your scoop without ever having to un clip the strap holding it to your fanny pack. I tried other pouches and methods before "engineering" this one about 3 years ago and this works flawlessly. Try it, trust me you will not be disappointed. HH

Sounds awesome... but they say that a Picture is worth a 1000 words :-) So...

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had this same question. I had been using a fanny pack with multiple zippered pockets and it worked well. I used one pocket for swimmers googles, sun block and cigarettes wrapped in 3 ziplock baggies to stay dry. The main compartment I put everything in. Would leave the zipper slightly opened so I could just slip the find into it. Nothing ever floated out.
The only thing I didnt like about using it is it did not have a mesh bottom for the sand to sift out. So I posted this question here and received several replies. I ended up with the Demarco pouch. A little pricey and I don't have room for all the stuff I would normally carry but on my morning 1 hour hunts it's pretty sweet. Here's a link to the thread I started. Good luck out there.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,405700.msg2884751.html#msg2884751

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine from John West Central Fl. It has a zippered mesh bag with 2 different pockets. One pocket for your good ring and gold finds and the other for coins ,etc. High quality.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a bunch of different ones, even made a few, these have been perfect...... fast, cheap, easy, tough and highly reliable. They get tossed around in the water like crazy, have yet to loose anything out of one. Could easily rig to a belt if ya like to run that way also, I keep mine on the end of the scoop, works very fast for me.

a3aba8d0.jpg

3ca58c96.jpg

Made by Frabill, "leech bag" (a fishing item)

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FooserPaul said:
Captain Loosechange said:

Sounds awesome... but they say that a Picture is worth a 1000 words :-) So...
Here you go, 6000 words!!

Attachments

• 100_0187.JPG
    100_0187.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 546
  • 100_0188.JPG
    100_0188.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_0189.JPG
    100_0189.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_0190.JPG
    100_0190.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 537
  • 100_0191.JPG
    100_0191.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 100_0192.JPG
    100_0192.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 528
OP
OP
PI PETE

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Guys thanks for everything - I have an existing bag so I will buy the fabrill fishing bag and sew it into my existing pouch.

thanks a million for your time and effort sharing your ideas.

I like the walmart adea too - good idea to keep your digger attached to your side.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a nylon mesh shooting bag with the flat spring closure on top.After you have the target,open the top with your hand,slip the goody in and remove your hand.I have never lost an item from it.Do a google search for "mesh shooting bags".Here is an example(not the one I have).

http://www.gamaliel.com/boballenbags/bob-allen-mesh-empties-pouch.asp

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco 3-pocket mesh finds bag $19.99 Great bag!

Attachments

• a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 524
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 534

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (west central FL) said:
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John
That is the same type I got from John which is excellent for keeping valuables seperate in the zippered lower section.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John, I like your pouch as it hides any goodies from prying eyes. It is made in the USA and not China. I thought all the members were boycotting Wal-Mart for their hiring practices and foreign goods. But some people are like the ones that cross picket lines. Shame.......... :violent1:

Also never attach the scoop to you with a tether when hunting saltwater because of undertows.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

John, I like your pouch as it hides any goodies from prying eyes. It is made in the USA and not China. I thought all the members were boycotting Wal-Mart for their hiring practices and foreign goods. But some people are like the ones that cross picket lines. Shame.......... :violent1:

Also never attach the scoop to you with a tether when hunting saltwater because of undertows.

Ok first, I didn't know anything about the "Wal-Mart Boycott" and I don't appreciate being "shamed" about something that I was not aware of, guess I'm not in that "click", second fine boycott whoever the hell you want to, I was answering a fellows post about what to use for a pouch for water hunting and I was giving him my suggestion, I'm sure the hiring practices and foreign goods situation is no better for the companies that manufacture your metal detectors, scoops, batteries, automobile you use to get to the beach and so on so look in the mirror and "shame" that guy as well. If you had been reading my reply instead of climbing onto your allmighty soap box you would have seen that I was talking about the scoop being tethered to the pouch to "drag behind in the sand" and how it aided in gridding, of course I assumed any grown person that could read and write would know not to tether it to themselves in a body of water with a current. So I also should have put "Don't put your finds in your mouth because you could choke" in there too. I guess I should just let the "Experts" like you or should I say "know it alls like you" answer any and all questions from now on. You always give these awesome nuggets of advice, but you know I can't remember the last find worth a crap that you posted????

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear swimsuits with a large cargo pocket that velcros shut on the side. Works great for me .

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les is right John makes a Great zippered bag for watr hunting.

Les West Central Fl said:
I got mine from John West Central Fl. It has a zippered mesh bag with 2 different pockets. One pocket for your good ring and gold finds and the other for coins ,etc. High quality.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Army surplus belt and M16 ammo pouch. Has a nice plastic clip to keep the top shut and keeps everything inside. Ten Bucks. Never lost anything I ever put in it. Been using it for almost 15 years. Nice size because it held 4-30 round clips and allows me to attach my scoop to the belt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harold in Fla. said:
Les is right John makes a Great zippered bag for watr hunting.

Les West Central Fl said:

Both this bag and the Kellyco bag are great, and they do protect your finds, do not rust and last for years.....I prefer it over the fannypacks. I just retired a kellyco one I have had for 5 years.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread