Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am breaking an unwritten rule, but I can,t go here this weekend anyway. Here is an email I got from a club member. Names were removed to protect the innocent. Coin Beach is right below Rehobeth, in the Delaware Seashore Park. This is a large area and can accommodate many THer's.

Xxxx just called to give me a beach update and he asked that I pass
it along.

Xxxx talked to X Xxxx who reports that he's been hunting on
Coin Beach with amazing results. He's found at least 40 Irish
pennies (some with different dates than those associated with the
Faithful Steward), 8 silver quarters, 5 silver dimes and some pieces
of jewelry. Y Yyyyy has found 8 or 9 Irish pennies plus several
large silver coins with "George" on them. After cleaning, Y Yyyyy
will be able to tell more about the dates and denominations of them
but they're probably English. Other people who have come into
TreasureQuest have reported similar finds.

If you'd like to check out this area for yourself, Xxxx advises that
you should cross the Indian River Bridge and park on the lot on the
northwest side of the road. Walk under the bridge to the beach and
head toward the area where the trees are. This is a long walk but
might produce good results. If you go, please let us know how you
make out.

Have a great weekend.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I guess I did not make myself clear. I hunted coin beach for the last two weeks. It was great. Yesterday was more of a day of bench testing MD with one of the local shops. I hunted afterwards and it was sanded in. What I should have said is, when an local area is hot please do not post it on a forum. How would he like it if I posted his hot spots on a forum. Borntodetect said, "I know I am breaking an unwritten rule, but I can,t go here this weekend anyway." Dont break rules even if they are not written. It is a rule for a reason. Inform your friends or club if you like, but not the entire world. Also one of the Shoreseekers was digging high up in a dune last week. I talked to the fellow and he said he was sorry. He is a nice guy and we talked for a long time, but he did “know better” since he is a seasoned dectectorist. If DENREC observes digging in the dunes it could ruin it for all of us. :( :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand both sides of the coin but I would not count Coin Beach as anyone persons hot spot. A four year old with a computer could do about 30 seconds of research to find it. So I don't consider that beach or any public beach as someones 'site'. If you did years of research and found a beach that no one else knew there was a wreck there and you started finding awesome stuff and he posted on the forum then by all means he would be in the wrong but not in this case.

I hunt on the outer banks a few times a year and when others start posting what great finds they are making I don't cry foul. It is a public beach and this is a public forum.

If someone has permission to hunt private property and they find a 'hot spot' then nobody except that person should post any information about the sites location. That is the rule, not what went on here. That beach is so big and the sands shift so fast...even if there were five additional hunters on the beach the chances they would cover exactly the same sand you would have covered are highly unlikely. So I don't think he was taking any finds out of your pouch.

Just my two cents...

NJ

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess its time to chime in. Been checking this post for the past 24 hours after I got home from camping Sunday. Wow, I really didn't mean to annoy anyone. I do agree with N.J. Ther and OldeBeechnut. I was trying to let others know that the area was producing a little more lately than usual. Being a public site I thought it would not be a problem. After the storm last Hurricane most beaches got sanded in pretty good leaving the are from high tide line to about chest high on low tide your best bets. Not giving away any secrets here, just knowledge I have picked up here and there.

By the way I actual did see a few Irish 1/2 pennies from the site a couple of weeks ago. Not my finds, I only go about once a year/ try to wait for a big storm if there is one.

Ed D.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent 20 hours this weekend stuck in the hospital so no detecting for me...not that I would have headed down to coin beach anyways but thanks Ed for the heads up. You mentioned gold coins so I did another 30 second online research and found an exact location for you...this is Ocean City, MD: "Last season, a woman found seven Spanish gold coins from the 1730s on Ocean City's 72ND Street beach." Last season being 2009.

Supporting website: http://articles.mcall.com/2010-08-1...1_shipwrecks-treasure-hunters-sunken-treasure

I hope she does not get mad that I gave away her hot spot that is easily found on with a quick Google search.

This hobby is all about having fun and I think Ed's post was done in that spirit and not intended on hurting anyone. If you think he was giving any secrets away you are very naive. Anyone that has been in this hobby for longer then a year or two has friends and contacts they can reach out to for updates. I've read Ed's post for years, he is alway very helpful and he seems like a very stand up guy that I would take to any of my sites if he would like to visit NJ. He can even post where they are afterward if he would like... :wink:

NJ

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT - is the one thing we miss from the east.

We used to go to Coin Beach and Rehobeth (used to stay at a motel, 1 block off the beach - 1/3 the price), and love that area - have found some great stuff there.

In fact - running right down route 1, all along the oceanside, right down to and including Maryland, and stopping and detecting all the beaches, makes a great week long metal detecting vacation.

After all this weather, I'll bet there is a whole new batch of stuff churned up. Just stay off the dunes.

Beth

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
when i heard the tale of the gold coins at 72nd st, just the day after it happened. it was two coins by a woman on her first time out with a new machine, one hell of a hunt for the first time! not to say it did not happen. just thinking out loud?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin beach fame started a long time ago.

There have been many shipwrecks, and the first I ever heard of some of these coins showing up on the beaches was in the 1960's.

Over the years, many folks have found all kinds of coins, gold and otherwise - and, of course, after storms, especially fierce ones, it brings things in and uncovers other things.

Some of the areas between Rehobeth and coin beach used to be closed off - one for a military area, one for a permit-only fishing area - but, neither areas are really very large, nor have they been particularly productive.

To me, the biggest distraction at coin beach was the surfers. Just didn't want to interfere with them. But, I did see someone get a ticket for detecting on the dunes - not for detecting, but for being ON the dunes. They are protected all the way down the beaches.

Beth

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
at 72nd st
tested22k..sept storm

Attachments

• Nugget Sept 3 2010.jpg
    Nugget Sept 3 2010.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 522

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice...from the picture it is hard to tell but is that gold piece old or modern?

Thanks for sharing

NJ

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess a piece of melted gold. Like you would get from a fire.

Ed D.

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is Google coin beach? It gives great information that anyone can find useful information to follow up on. I along with a few coworkers are in OC for a conference, and we had the opportunity to go out yesterday. We found a few 1/2 pennies along with a lot of clad, and a key.

There were a total of ten to twelve people detecting, and I had the opportunity to speak with one locals who also found a 1/2 penny. Everyone was detecting the dry sand with a few detecting in the water. Our finds were not deep at all, about 2 to 3 inches down. When we were leaving, the water was putting the clad coins right on top of the sand. That was pretty cool to see. It was a great hunt for all in our group, and I agree that if you have a private spot where you are finding amazing things you may want to keep that to yourself and or a few close friends. What's funny is that coin beach is well known to many and is a public beach for all to enjoy as long as the rules of the beach are followed.

I would like to thank the original poster for sharing the information which has allowed us to put our hands on some local history. If you live close by and can make the trip, I would definitely encourage you the get out there. HH :icon_thumright:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it looks like a gold bead or piece of a bigger item

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The area found is famous for old stuff and it was before the storm was to hit, Not sure but guessing it's from the shipwrecks off the coast of 72nd. It was found between 70th n 75th...very shallow..one scoop, not in the water, more inland. One thing I have found on these several miles of beach..a good storm brings the treasure up, you just have to be there when it happens, cause she can be gone the next tide.....like many have said...

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
OK here is how I see it.
Coin Beach is very well known. Everyone can find out about it easy. It is usually very unproductive form what I heard from the locals, except when it gets a good NE hitting it for at least a few days.
For about a week, 4 locals and me where working some spots at Coin Beach every day. We where usually the only ones at the beach except every now and then another person or two.
Then the post was made. ??? They started coming. ???
I had one day when a guy with a radioshack MD (not that there is anything wrong with that lol) came within 30’ of me. I was getting major interference. I told him I was getting interference from his machine. He told me he wasn’t and kept hunting. I waited 20 or so minutes for the guy to get far enough away, then started hunting again. I have seen groups come in with trowels. I saw one guy climging the cliff by the inlet and digging into the cliff. It turned into a real circus some days. Although you could find anything anywhere, the areas that where producing where tight.
I have been reading this forum for over seven months, every post every day.
I have never seen anyone post information so detailed when a spot was so hot.

If it wasn’t posted as, “I know I am breaking an unwritten rule, but I can’t go here this weekend anyway. Here is an email I got from a club member. Names were removed to protect the innocent.”

#1 Just don’t understand why, break unwritten rule because you can’t go?
#2 You know the guy that sent it to him did not want to tell the world so remove his name?

Hey its no biggy. I guess I am selfish wanting to detect in the hot spots at Coin Beach when the beach is really producing?

I still say, "tell your friends, tell your club but don’t tell the world".

I have had a great time talking to everyone I have met at Coin Beach even the Radio Shack guy (Bob) but please upgrade that machine.

I am not the type to keep it to myself either. I have told a couple people there who have never found a King George a spot where they couldn’t miss and they all found one. That spot is now all sanded in. The good spot now is go north 23 utility poles from the bridge then go halfway between the black pines and the high tide mark. Lots of gold being found. Good luck.

I wish I never commented because this post is really getting lots of hits now. lol and I must say, "Born2Dtect you really should go there more then just once a year! It is the greatest place to hunt!" :icon_thumright:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I hope she does not get mad that I gave away her hot spot that is easily found on with a quick Google search.

This hobby is all about having fun and I think Ed's post was done in that spirit and not intended on hurting anyone. If you think he was giving any secrets away you are very naive. Anyone that has been in this hobby for longer then a year or two has friends and contacts they can reach out to for updates. I've read Ed's post for years, he is alway very helpful and he seems like a very stand up guy that I would take to any of my sites if he would like to visit NJ. He can even post where they are afterward if he would like... :wink:

NJ

I'm sure you would change your mind if you ever met ED. ;D He is good for getting all the zinc cents out of the way for you. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey lonelyduckhunter, Be fair, I clear out the wheaties and pull tabs for you too.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread