TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3:

Well, I've spent my monthly allowance...so I can't afford a $150+ stainless steel scoop. So I spent 25$ to buy the parts for this baby.

I looked at all the designs on youtube and frankly, they all look weak....like McDonald's coffee... :coffee2:

So I went with what I think will be a stronger design.

Parts list:

2- 1 1/2" inside diameter u bolts.
1- 11" long, 6" diameter thick wall PVC
1- Deep 6" PVC cap fitting.
1- can of pvp glue
1- shovel handle, cut off at the metal join. (its a bit short, but I can't find ANYPLACE that sells handles here. The shovel cost 12$

Needed:

Drill
1 1/2 diameter hole bit
3/8" or 1/2" drill bit
Hacksaw
File

And this is the final product. Gonna test it out tomorrow on sand and sand/mud bottom. The heavy/deep pvc cap really gives it alot of strength for the handle area. I think i have enough drain holes, if not its easy to make more. I went with 3/8" holes, in hopes that it'll catch ear studs/necklaces better. I wanted some 1/4" screen wire to put in the end cap, but dang it....nobody cuts wire fence anymore. And I'm not paying 38$ just to cut out a 7" circle.

043-1.jpg
044-1.jpg
045-1.jpg
049.jpg

048.jpg

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You will want to put a couple bolts through the handle and into the back of the scoop, the handle/scoop will turn. And you might put a couple pieces of metal straps from the middle of the scoop up to the handle about 8-10 inches to further stablize it. You could drill a bunch more holes too. Looks good otherwise! You could have angled the cut from the top to the tip, it would have made the tip of the scoop much stronger-like a regular stainless scoop.

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
You will want to put a couple bolts through the handle and into the back of the scoop, the handle/scoop will turn. And you might put a couple pieces of metal straps from the middle of the scoop up to the handle about 8-10 inches to further stablize it. You could drill a bunch more holes too. Looks good otherwise! You could have angled the cut from the top to the tip, it would have made the tip of the scoop much stronger-like a regular stainless scoop.

Thanks, well it's a test bed project, if it works it works, if it doesn't....it's 6$ to buy another cap and 4$ for another Pvc tube ;)

The ubolts are actually biting into the pvc cap and wont turn, but I see your point. I might also reinforce the handle by using some Gorilla Glue where the handles join to the pvc tube. That stuff is STRONG.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cheap wire fix is SS gutter guard. Get it at about any of the building supply stores in small pieces and its easy to cut. I think you will find PVC will wear very quickly in the sand and shells and you may have cut it at a big enough angle for long term use. Necessity is the mother of invention.... good work.

Dew

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dewcon4414 said:
The cheap wire fix is SS gutter guard. Get it at about any of the building supply stores in small pieces and its easy to cut. I think you will find PVC will wear very quickly in the sand and shells and you may have cut it at a big enough angle for long term use. Necessity is the mother of invention.... good work.

Dew

Thanks! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread