Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

au
    Jul 2011
    North Coast NSW.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
    260 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Scratching bedrock....

I went back to the eroded beach and started to swing slow over where I thought the rock enscarpments would be shallow - I was shocked to find that the going was snail pace - I had to literally scrape sand away, toss rocks, lever, etc throught the mini bloulders, shell grit and rocks to dig down to that brown coloured rock bedrock( see pics on last post ) on each target - but the reward on some was so sweet - finding coins that deep and with such effort -
    way onto fun ... was just so cool. I got a Predecimal 1954 Florin - think I damaged the date with my feverish scratching, odd bits of metal - the usual other current circulation coins , bobbypins - arrrrgh, and an old crusty coin (I think it is a coin because I can see some reeding on a portion of the edge - but it is so thin? )that I'm excited about. So I need advice here:

Has anyone used a Garrett Pro Pointer for saltwater holes - I've read they are ok but if possible I want to here from someone with field experience - I was digging blind after pinpointing with 10 inch coil on shark? Wow, I've been spoilt......it was so unlike pure clean sand where an easy hole just gets bigger to recover.

What should I do with the crusty coin or whatever it is? Cleaning advice - I have a basic electrolysis bath, is it a good idea? should I soak it in a light oil? > ?? also it is very thin - and about 1mm less diameter than an Aussie penny are any coins this thin? I'll post it on the coins forum too but some of you have salt in your veins and may have some new tricks?

Pics are terrible + cat hair on Florin - no it is not from my pants - not my colour! , macro flash - could not get it right tonight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	599781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	599783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	599784  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Treasure, baby, Treasure!"

us
    Jun 2010
    117 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Scratching bedrock....

My experience with the Garret pin pointer at the beach is: it works fine in dry sand. However if you try in the wet or even in the water it is non-stop vibrating noise. I have since got a Vibraprobe for the beach. Works well in wet and under water, but you have to almost be on top of the target before it vibrates. Hope this helps. HH Pete

au
    Jul 2011
    North Coast NSW.
    260 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks Pete, seems I need a pinpointer that works on PI!!!! Would that be possible - is there such a gadget?

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword.
    75 times
    Shipwrecks

I dont use a pinpointer, but when digging in rocks, they sure would be the ticket. They do make a PI pinpointer, I have seen them. Underwater ones too. I wouldnt mind having one. The coin is thin from getting slid around on sand and rocks. I have seen that before. They can get like a razor blade.

us
    Sep 2009
    Hawaiian Islands
    97 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Having a digging situation like that is what most of us dream of.
    I would use a pointed miners pick to move the rocks and larger objects.
    I have a Vibra-probe pinpointer which is good for such an occasion.
    Take your time and enjoy the opportunity before it gets sanded in and buried.

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    451 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Some fine diggin!
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

au
    Jul 2011
    North Coast NSW.
    260 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

cheers to all and I feel it is a "race against time and tide" but I will try to keep it low and slow - when I did, I dug all above from about a 6ft sq area! I'd need an army to get it all but I'll settle for my share of the booty over the next weeks...... days , minutes and seconds .....
    I guess any chance of coin Id is gone - thanks stevemc.......
    could not hunt today .... will keep you posted.

us
    Dec 2011
    Miami Beach
    Minelab Excalibur,Whites Dual Field
    3 times

Before you buy a pin pointer,

JMHO,I have found the pin pointer underwater not very useful.It "looks great on paper" but it actually is just more frustration than its worth unless your maybe working in inches of water and no surf.Working on your fanning technique and detector pin pointing will eventually make the rocks a pleasure to work in :-) Land hunting I love my pin pointer though!
    As far as cleaning the encrusties,pick up a rock tumbler and throw all your beach coins,jewelry and whats-its in with a little dish soap and they should be ready to spend and identify in a few hours.
    Hope that helps & Happy Hunting,Joe

Sponsors