East Coast Florida Erosion Update

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW SMYRNA BEACH: At last check.....about noon today, there are cuts and holes, some of them appearing rather large and deep. "But".....you can't get in them. Some cuts and holes were starting to form even before Sandy but the current in them was too strong because of the stiff NE winds we were getting then, just too much water being pushed onto the beach even at low tide, obviously much worse now. At this writing the wind is still blowing pretty steady, guessing about 20mph with gust up to around 30 - 35 or so. A lot of rain as well. No doubt there is going to be some great hunting opportunities once you can get at the cuts and beach safely. Wind is suppose to start subsiding a little bit after mid-night into early morning but the surf will still be high and dangerous for at least a few more days. Might be able to get at some of the higher beach this weekend? Just going to depend on the wind and surf. :icon_thumright:

Charge them up, grab the biggest coil you can get your hands on, and cover as much ground as you can because it won't last long and I look for the competition to be pretty stiff. Hope everyone recovers a boat load of great finds! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for update:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I noticed today, the sand bank that you would normally see at the waterline at low tide, it appears to have been completely battered away. "A lot" of "very soft" sand being pushed to the foot of the dunes and in some areas I saw signs of dark water rips on the upper beach area, which is most certainly an indication of the existence of cuts. Also signs of very strong long currents pushing "south" which means the troughs are probably going to be cleared of all that soft sand. "Everything looks very promising." :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good I will follow your updates...... If I come that way I will let you know...They are still calling for some pretty strong winds tomorrow...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigscoop.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy hunting Bigscoop!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good I will follow your updates...... If I come that way I will let you know...They are still calling for some pretty strong winds tomorrow...

It's 3am and things seem like they may have even intensified a bit. I live on the river so there is a bit of a buffer between home and the beach so it's always a little stronger on the beach then it is here. And like i said, it seems like it's intensified here a bit. Gonna be a while if this keeps up. I'm guessing maybe late Sunday or Monday but could be into Tuesday. :dontknow:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the treasure coast. It's Saturday morning.. and the wind has shifted to the northwest. Low tide this afternoon should be interesting.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9:30am this morning at New Smyrna Beach; Still too much surge, the last 3 or 4 poles at 27th street just had their tops showing, for the most part there is still strong water flow all the way to the dunes, three hours to low tide but with the surge I doubt it will open much up. Saw one guy trying to detect up high on the beach in that accessible line of shallow flow just below dunes, watched him for about 30 minutes and never saw him hit a target. Checked several locations and he was the only guy I saw even trying to get out this morning. I planned to but turned around and came back home. Going back over around noon to see if there is anymore beach that can be accessed at low tide. :dontknow:

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just got back from Pepper Park. Surge was making it to the dunes at dead low tide. Wind seems to have gone back to the NE somewhat. Four or five feet of sand gone from the beach but no coral showing. Ill shoot for tommorrow further south, or north. I hate deciding where to go in the morning. I wish someone would just call me and tell me where all the pieces of eight are just lying all over the beach.
Barrell

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning to hit it tomorrow, with the winds and tides and the tidal surge it would be a waste of time to drive there today and return home (120 mile round trip), not much need to pay for a hotel either when high tide is about 7pm tonight and about that time for high tide tomorrow morning..... Hoping the winds die down some tomorrow, if there is lots of sand pulled off the beach then I may feel a cough, cough, cold coming on Monday morning..............

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from New Smyrna Beach, was there from noon to 3:00 and spent some time getting wet and cruising, and here's the deal;

The upper beach is a lot of deep soft sand and it's pretty clean, the mid-beach was producing greens and reds and a little token silver, and the entire lower beach is still inaccessible due to the "dangerous" surge. From what I could tell there are a lot of coins scattered along the mid-beach zone though not much erosion to speak of in the way of cuts or holes. However, as you near the lower beach there are cuts and holes but they are still impossible to get into unless you have a death wish. If you come over "be very careful" because one minute you can be standing at mid-beach over wet sand and the next minute you can have the full force of three feet of rushing water all around you. "The surges are still very powerful and unpredictable", even at low tide some of the surges were reaching near the top of the upper beach. I heard from another hunter down at Coco Beach and he pretty much said the same conditions exist there. Once this surf settles down a bit the hunting should be good with a lot of targets and potential but until then use caution and don't push your luck! No kidding, it can go from wet sand to waist deep force in a hurry and the sand under your feet just gets sucked away extremely fast. Be safe out there!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from New Smyrna Beach, was there from noon to 3:00 and spent some time getting wet and cruising, and here's the deal;

The upper beach is a lot of deep soft sand and it's pretty clean, the mid-beach was producing greens and reds and a little token silver, and the entire lower beach is still inaccessible due to the "dangerous" surge. From what I could tell there are a lot of coins scattered along the mid-beach zone though not much erosion to speak of in the way of cuts or holes. However, as you near the lower beach there are cuts and holes but they are still impossible to get into unless you have a death wish. If you come over "be very careful" because one minute you can be standing at mid-beach over wet sand and the next minute you can have the full force of three feet of rushing water all around you. "The surges are still very powerful and unpredictable", even at low tide some of the surges were reaching near the top of the upper beach. I heard from another hunter down at Coco Beach and he pretty much said the same conditions exist there. Once this surf settles down a bit the hunting should be good with a lot of targets and potential but until then use caution and don't push your luck! No kidding, it can go from wet sand to waist deep force in a hurry and the sand under your feet just gets sucked away extremely fast. Be safe out there!

Thanks, that is what I was seeing on the webcams and the live weather feeds on TV..... That is very dangerous conditions, you can be in midcalf water and the riptide can actually yank you off your feet and pull you out.... You can go from wetsand no water to waist deep water in a few seconds in weather like this.... I will try tomorrow.........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daytona or New Symnra............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you a pm.........

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday Morning, New Smyrna Beach; A bit less breezy but surge is still overtaking the entire beach at high tide, (I live on the west side of the river and it still sounds like a freight train over on the coast.) Low tide might be "a touch" better then yesterday but still going to have "very strong and dangerous" unpredictable surge to deal with even at mid-beach. Hunting the lower beach erosion is still going to be impossible.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach cams are showing it still hitting the seawall at high tide, there want be much of the beach I want to hunt even at low tide ...............

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach cams are showing it still hitting the seawall at high tide, there want be much of the beach I want to hunt even at low tide ...............

And if yesterday is the example, low tide, if you can call it that, lasted about 30 minutes, between the constant surges. And of course, those surges "always" seemed to know that exact moment when I hit a target. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions