East Coast Florida Erosion Update

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW SMYRNA BEACH: At last check.....about noon today, there are cuts and holes, some of them appearing rather large and deep. "But".....you can't get in them. Some cuts and holes were starting to form even before Sandy but the current in them was too strong because of the stiff NE winds we were getting then, just too much water being pushed onto the beach even at low tide, obviously much worse now. At this writing the wind is still blowing pretty steady, guessing about 20mph with gust up to around 30 - 35 or so. A lot of rain as well. No doubt there is going to be some great hunting opportunities once you can get at the cuts and beach safely. Wind is suppose to start subsiding a little bit after mid-night into early morning but the surf will still be high and dangerous for at least a few more days. Might be able to get at some of the higher beach this weekend? Just going to depend on the wind and surf. :icon_thumright:

Charge them up, grab the biggest coil you can get your hands on, and cover as much ground as you can because it won't last long and I look for the competition to be pretty stiff. Hope everyone recovers a boat load of great finds! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, still pretty strong current out there. In fact it's still too strong to get to the breakers with anything larger then say an 8 inch coil, and it's still not worth the energy exhausted even at low tide. Bummer, to say the least. I met up with Treasure Hunter today and we put in about five hours before and through low tide, a lot of targets and coins literally scattered everywhere on the lower portion of the upper beach to about mid-beach. Not sure how many targets we dug but I actually earned open blisters. That's the good news, but the bad news is that we encountered "very little" jewelry between us. A lot of colored cons, encrusted coins, and even a lot of encrusted ????? that still need to be cleaned. "Leave the PI's at home" because the Excals were nulling like crazy, a lot of iron in the same zone with all the other targets.

Now for the lower beach erosion......I checked a large cut that was present just prior to Sandy and today it was nearly all filled in. I went out into the edge of breakers for a couple of quick spins and it wasn't looking good.....but I could see a lot of sand clouds behind the breakers so maybe as we get closer to negative tides the currents will have subsided enough to poke around out there. The low tide waterline was still about 8 - 10 feet higher on the beach then normal so the lower beach never did see a dry period due to this. I hunted the edge of the breakers for only a couple of short spins but with the currents still being strong and an obvious lack of targets there simply was no reason for me to endure it. And that's all I know to tell you but TH and I were of the mind that a great deal of the targets encountered had probably been dragged down from the upper beach area.

Thanks again TH for letting me play with the SEF as I think I'm convinced now. And thanks for bringing the extra wet suit. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread