More Chains

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver chain and the darker gold (10k) is from yesterday. The rest is from this morning. The coin is a 1956 Two Shilling, which is the first one of those I've ever found. I've gone back to the smaller 8 inch coil on the Excal in recent hunts which is probably why I'm hitting so many chains lately. Also have some silver rings I'll be posting once they are cleaned. (One chain and ring were so bad they literately fell apart in electrolysis yesterday. :laughing7: (First time I've ever chainsb.jpg had that happen. Me bad! :BangHead:)

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice chain finds, bigscoop!:icon_thumright:

Great coin find!:notworthy:

Lorraine

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like quite a mix,age too. Congrats on that first! Aged finds storm related? Or coil size. Either way you are on your game.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like quite a mix,age too. Congrats on that first! Aged finds storm related? Or coil size. Either way you are on your game.

Both. I figured a few things out and found a very steady target line and the smaller coil is allowing me to hunt it a lot more efficiently. No way could I hunt this area very long with a larger coil, or near as effectively. I wish I could use the larger coil but it just don't workout to good. Neoprene waders are also a must. :icon_thumleft: Still not finding any of the heavier gold yet, but it's coming......"I hope?"

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like we are all in the same boat on finding just smaller gold. BUT wow thats a lot of chains you grabbed up my man. You may have just found a great combo that might put some bling in your scoop. I have the hardest time finding those chains..... i get the medallions and pendants but cant find the chains.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like we are all in the same boat on finding just smaller gold. BUT wow thats a lot of chains you grabbed up my man. You may have just found a great combo that might put some bling in your scoop. I have the hardest time finding those chains..... i get the medallions and pendants but cant find the chains.

Dew

"All" of the chains are coming from the same type area. About two hours before low tide start looking for that back flush line of water where it meets the incoming flow, pretty easy to spot this line when the surges are low on account of all the boiling sand and shell in this line. Usually there will be a ridge here just ahead of a drop. Everything getting raked back off the beach gets deposited here, especially chains as they have a tendency to roll with the flow until they get balled up. As the surf returns to the beach these chains will often get blown back up on the beach and the process will be repeated as the tide declines again. Once they get balled up in knots they'll typically find a settling place around this ridge. Right now, due to the early stirring of Sandy and then the prolonged northeaster, there are a tone of exposed targets from the entire beach getting deposited just above, in, and below this ridge. All of the chains have been found along this ridge. The smaller coil allows for a higher sensitivity and even then these chains may only offer you just broken "tics" instead of a distinguishable tone unless there is a large clasp or pendent. :icon_thumleft: But I gotta tell you, undoing some of the chain knots requires some serious game skills. :laughing7:

Last edited:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look happy hunters, you don't need the 3030 to find the small chains! :)
Very Nice big scoop .
Get some more

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont believe ive seen anyone post chains that small with a 3030.... most were larger. Thanks for making me look at those closer.... those are small gold and no huge lockets on them. The K does make some difference as well on if a chain can be picked up and how deep.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont believe ive seen anyone post chains that small with a 3030.... most were larger. Thanks for making me look at those closer.... those are small gold and no huge lockets on them. The K does make some difference as well on if a chain can be picked up and how deep.

Dew

All of the "chains" were shallow, say, less then 3 or 4 inches. All of them were also knotted up, which I'm sure helps. Of course the heavier silver chain offered a good tone as did the one with the pendent. The thin 14k gold chain was balled and knotted up and kept falling through my scoop and I almost passed it up as a small lead fishing weight but the tone was too in and out and broken up so curiosity kept me chasing it. The 10k was the same way, but a lot like a faint floater, here and gone and then back again. I don't think it was moving around, I think it was just a combination of hitting it at the right angle and with a good flat sweep in all the turbulence, which ain't always easy to do.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I congratulate on these finds!!
So you are master of detection!! Good luck next hunt!!

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Bigscoop, congrats on your finds, it is always nice to get a first even though it probably makes you scratch your head when you find it. Congrats again and hope you keep finding that line.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, congrats on your finds, it is always nice to get a first even though it probably makes you scratch your head when you find it. Congrats again and hope you keep finding that line.

I remember finding my first gold chain many years ago, was using a Bounty Hunter at the time. In reality the machine had signaled on a pull tab and the chain just happen to be there. :laughing7: Anyway, I grabbed my CZ-20 and it couldn't read the chain either. To make a long story short, very few machines can read gold chains unless they are balled up or they have large clasp, etc., and even the ones that can read them seldom offer a repeatable tone, and none of them can read those gold chains at depths of more then a couple inches unless those chains are rather beefy, balled up, or something about them presents a very dense signature. Given this, you want to use the most sensitive machines and the smallest coils possible, especially in the saltwater/sand environment. The same is true of white gold and very fine gold. Typically, at some point, the larger the coil the more sensitivity loss there will be, so depth and sensitivity is a tradeoff of sorts that is magnified by the addition of the saltwater/sand condition. I'm not actually looking for chains, I'm just using the smaller coil because it produces less drag in the current and it provides stable operation at a higher sensitivity over uneven bottoms and in the turbulence. The threshold remains steady and falsing is practically nonexistent so the smaller tics are much easier to identify. I'm not looking for chains but I'm just setup in the best possible circumstances that's allowed me to detect them whenever I luck into them.

PS: I'd hate to know how many chains we all routinely pass up when we're swinging our larger coils?

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was another reason i was looking at a PI, their sensitivity to smaller targets in the water. But man what a trade off.....depth for more trash. I hunted today thou.... and i have to tell you cover a rather large portion of a local beach..... nuffen. I picked up half dozed pull tabs, 2 large sinkers, and a couple pieces of can slaw.... that was it. makes me wonder if id be better off with another Xcal 8" during these winter months just to get at some of the smaller stuff.... maybe lol. Im not sure having a PI and digging for SOMETHING TO DO when there arent good targets is wise. I guess we are all looking for that good combo BS that best suits our beach.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was another reason i was looking at a PI, their sensitivity to smaller targets in the water. But man what a trade off.....depth for more trash. I hunted today thou.... and i have to tell you cover a rather large portion of a local beach..... nuffen. I picked up half dozed pull tabs, 2 large sinkers, and a couple pieces of can slaw.... that was it. makes me wonder if id be better off with another Xcal 8" during these winter months just to get at some of the smaller stuff.... maybe lol. Im not sure having a PI and digging for SOMETHING TO DO when there arent good targets is wise. I guess we are all looking for that good combo BS that best suits our beach.

Dew

That's it, learning how to consistently find targets in whatever conditions our usual beaches throw at us. That's where all of my focus has been this past year, that and really trying to figure out the best machine setups for the conditions I routinely hunt. Right now I can't imagine using a PI as there is so much trash on the beach the Excal is constantly nulling even with the smaller coil. In the summer when the soft sand is built up and deep and targets are sparse a good PI "might" suit my efforts better but then again, we had an abundance of deep soft sand this year so who knows if the difference would have even paid for itself? I spent a lot of time in the water with 10.5 CZ cranked wide open willing to dig any tone or stutter I could get and they just weren't there so I doubt a PI would provide an advantage in that much deep soft sand either. For me, on the beaches I hunt, that sand is key to everything. If you can find places where it has moved or shifted then the odds go up, but if it just keeps building best pray for a lot of really recent drops.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure a PI would be to your advantage either since you do have the WOT and the CZ..... and now the best of worlds... small coil to change it up.

Dew

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,on all your finds:icon_thumright:,I've probably passed up so many chains with my DF,,hopefully my CZ21 will catch it,,HH:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions