Casper & Gary D. An enlightening comparison?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper & Gary D. A enlightening comparison?

Both have had great success this year, however, there is a very interesting and enlightening comparison when we take a closer look at these two success stories. One of these hunters uses the CZ-21, a deep, powerful VLF machine. The other hunter uses the new CTX3030, a sensitive, precision machine. Casper found a lot of chunkier gold this year, Gary has found a lot of finer, less dense gold this year with routinely higher K’s. Both are/were regularly hunting in the saltwater environment. Both are hunting in regions with constant competition. Both are obviously doing something different then most hunters. I think there is a great deal to be learned here in this comparison.

To be honest, like a few other hunters I was beginning to question the number of finds Gary was posting recently but I am no longer questioning them. I do believe he has found every piece just as he claims. For most of us we have too easily traded sensitivity for depth. Casper is generally hunting beyond where most hunters venture, his access to chunkier gold allowed to happen more frequently simply because of the lack of competition. The CZ is deep and it is saltwater friendly, and it is a monster on chunkier, denser gold objects. Casper is also hunting over typically firmer bottoms which helps to prevent these heavier targets from sinking all the way to China. Casper has a great hunting strategy in face of the competition and it is awarding him well.

Gary, on the other hand, is unjustly facing a few skeptics right now. Why is he finding so much gold in face of the competition? Yep, it’s hard to believe, but then again, maybe not. I have a 1.5 gram gold cross that is very flat and thin. I can’t read this cross at all with my CZ, can’t read it with the Excal and WOT coil, can only barely read it with the Excal and 8” coil and only at a couple of inches, if that. The Sov. GT with the 8” coil can read it a bit deeper. Toss this cross into the sand and saltwater mixture and the Excal with 8” coil will only offer you a tic or two. People have been wondering why Gary isn’t finding a lot of typical bands and the simple answer is because everyone else can detect these. When we ask why everyone else isn’t finding the finer, higher K gold that Gary is routinely finding the answer is simply because most other hunters can’t detect them. Unfortunately, with VLF machines, depth and sensitivity are not close friends. Gary simply hunts slowly and methodically with the most sensitive setup he can. Like Casper, an excellent strategy in face of the competition. A lot to be learned from both successes and I am slowly trying to soak it all in so I can apply it all to my own hunting efforts. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer, though not very productive and badly sanded in, taught me a great deal about this area of coast and the sand factor. I already know where I'll be doing a great deal of my hunting next summer and how I'm going to attack it. Last year I was way too focused on getting deeper when I should have been focused on accessing the gold that was within reach. Given the economy and decline in tourism, I also believe there was simply less gold being worn and lost on the beach last year. There was one constant in just about all the gold I found last summer but I just didn't realize it at the time. Nearly all of it came from the upper 2/3's of the beach, well above all that deep soft sand.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Yeah...probably where people stretched out to work on their tan and we all know what lotion does for helping rings slip off fingers...lol......or had their lunches....slipped in and out of street clothes....etc...

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big coil, small coil, deep PI, what I learned last summer is that it does little good to swing any of these over a constantly stirring bottomless pit of soft sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread