The truth about Sand Shark Double Twangers and a booty shot..........

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have not been posting lately so I'll make up for that now with a lengthy rant. I've been getting my share of the gold and loving the "art". I've also lurked and seen some of your finds lately so sic to y'all who have got the goods!!!!!!!!!!!
Today I have some time so I thought I'd throw in another warning about ignoring messy iron sounds on the SS + a nice booty shot of rings I like / kept, I read a post the other day claiming to have saved time by ignoring bobby pin sounds in search of better targets and it got me thinking........
(I'm 14 months on the Tesoro SS) - anyway...yesterday I was on an arvo session and copped another two double blip finds that usually mean a sparkler wire, nail, or bobbypin etc but too horrorshow, they turned out well. First was a 925 toe ring and sounded ... yep just like a bobby pin, maybe slightly less twang, regardless - two sounds for sure - obviously the gap in the ring sounding back (+++ a lady at my work wears a gold toe ring so I don't want to miss out on such finds) -second was a coin spill that showed something I've noticed a few times - coins spread just out of coil diameter but tightly grouped so the swing catches them almost simultaneously - gives a real bobby pin twang - got $5 out of this double twanger - so SS users - " dig it all with a PI"
Want more proof? Other targets I can remember I hit with a dirty, long, twangy or doubled up response on these:
a 14k earing missing the stop - packed with ice - I posted it
an 18 ct gold band (found when I first got SS and now I'm looking back I'll bet there was another target nearby but I was a noob and did not re-sweep the area.)
at least five coin spills of Aust gold coin currency $1's and $2's add up quick - usually as a single target the$1's + $2's are crisp and short - corroded examples can give a prolonged signal as well
an old silver buckle that I still can't ID
a green crusty lump that ended up being a 9ct St Mary Pendant.
a 925 diamond cut bracelet with heart pendants - sounded as a piece of wire
Pic is of some booty - front ring I got on Tuesday, in a waist deep rip hole thats been cut by a month of northerly winds, it is 375 at 5.54g's so semi chunky ++++rings I like and have kept - I usually give away all of my silver because it brings me happiness to recycle bling with family / friends - smiles are priceless - there are 3 silver rings in the pic - the onyx, the spoon ring and which one ? Not all of my gold found but I think booty shots rock...... :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is, AMEN Brother!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yep, you gotta praise / worship this simple, effective machine - twas some of your advice that helped me buy it back then, + Terry I'm sure you would also agree with:
the slower you go the deeper you sow - if you reduce your swing to an absolute minimum - I mean like 10-15 seconds per pass in old areas where the top trash has been cleared - you get feint sounds of deeper goodies _ three scoops even in firm riverbed, time for the eddies to build up?

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very happy for your back!!

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cheers Hamid, I've been following your troubles with those people telling you negative things about your cool videos and pics, +++ those organised dogs telling you not to hunt in spots ..., if there is danger near home it is not worth it , but online comments about your obvious great detecting skills and finds- forget them, keep posting it all because you have fans - me as one. That wild beach video on youtube - when you guys arrive at the break, the peak on the lower side of the point was so good - breaking left and right - viva Morocco

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, you gotta praise / worship this simple, effective machine - twas some of your advice that helped me buy it back then, + Terry I'm sure you would also agree with:
the slower you go the deeper you sow - if you reduce your swing to an absolute minimum - I mean like 10-15 seconds per pass in old areas where the top trash has been cleared - you get feint sounds of deeper goodies _ three scoops even in firm riverbed, time for the eddies to build up?

I absolutely agree on swing speed, not overpowering your pulse width, and training your ear to hear the minute negative and positive breaks (whispers) in the threshold. I take a lot of static for preaching that the Sand Shark is as good or better than any other beach PI costing TWICE as much, but I've swung the rest and love my Sand Shark the best! Keep banging out those tickets Smoog!

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pile of loot smoogle, i've been too affraid to not dig it all, don't want to miss anything

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome pile! I agree with everything you said. I do much better when I slow down and dig everything. I love the simplicity. If it sounds...dig it. I waste a lot less brain cells and can focus on more important scenery at the beach.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the opportunity to use the Sand Shark on three separate occasions last summer, and I have to say, I can see why so many people like them. Granted, I didn't know much about the machine so I'm sure my abilities were lacking. However, it seemed to have good sensitivity and depth and it was easy to tune and maintain in a stable operating state. On the down side, I never dug so much trash and junk in all my life but for the most part that is what PI machines are all about. I borrowed the machine to see if I might want one for dealing with those deep summer sands but after digging so much trash....I just don't know if I'm up for that. So, the jury is still out for me. :dontknow:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
You are right about digging (almost) all the signals. I proved it to myself when I placed a very thin 14K ring vertically in the sand. Yep..exactly like a bobbi pin.

BUT..I think after enough experience...which might be 2 or more years of use...we can get more choosy about what we dig.

And much as I loved my Sand Shark I got used to the White's Surfmaster sounds, since it was my first PI, and I couldn't quite translate what the Sand Shark was telling me. The Dual Field just fit me better. I did give it a good seven months of trying.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I appreciate the SS discussion - I just got mine two weeks ago so I'm getting dialed in on how it works. Basically it seems to be a truth machine -if it beeps or whispers, then there's something there. Now I'm scheming how to get in the water with it as the ocean is getting colder everyday. Dry sand gets worked over by now so I'm staying out of it unless I see black sand. Good to see the posts on what this SS can find.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can go knee-deep in chest waders with two wading belts (waist and chest). I use Redington "Crosswater" waders ($100.00)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread