Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an offer from cntrydncr to try out here Garrett Inf LS since she had read i was reading up on them and other PIs. So we hit a rather heavy hit beach for about 4 hours to see what the machine could do. It had a nice 8" mono coil which from what i could tell was getting about the same depth as the Xcal with a 10". As you can tell i dug the usual junk.... bobbie pins, pull tabs and junk jewerly. I did a couple of small pieces of silver the ear stud and small chain. The one thing i think is an ear gage... SS. As you can tell by the change wasnt much out there for a 4 hour rund.

I liked using the PI didnt care much for the he-haw sound the hi lo seemed to make. Took a few to get used to those double tones im just used to the threshold increase of the Xcal. I liked the 8 inch mono .... moved easy in the water and wasnt as difficult as i thought it might be to PP. Well except IN the hole. Nice to be able to put the coil in the hole dug.... but you couldnt tell where the target was if you had to take another scoop. I was getting very weak hi-lo tones if i moved to quickly, possibly black sand noise. I learned fast what a bobbie pin sounded like, as you can tell i dug them anyway. Sure nice having an earth magnet in the scoop. I stopped listening to the loud hi-los and concentrated more on those giving a threshold break but to weak to sound off with hi lo. I dont know if i set it up properly with the threshold being around 6 for me. I was afraid it was going to pick up my scoop since my Exp will... but the halo on the coil wasnt bad. I had to be careful since i had land headphones not the water ones. Fun day Deb thanks.

I did manage one keeper..... as you can see 14K 3.2 g w/11 stones. It was down around 8 inches. Its just hard to tell depth out there sometimes and this was one of those weak tones.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one is BS.... i think ill get my hands on a DF to compare. I really like a threshold change better than a 2 tone i think. I see what you mean about an 8 inch coil thou BS.... man that thing swung easy and isolated targets well and that was a mono coil. It would help a lot if i could get the Xcal guys to do me one favor..... run in PP and pick up the bobbie pens. BUT.... i do have a 40 lb pull earth magnet in my scoop so finding the target wasnt hard. for 4 hours i didnt think that was a lot of digging..... not what i expected, but then i choose the beach beach because i knew it was hunted a lot.

Dew

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Ring! Welcome to the "Dark Side." :occasion14: PI machines RULE at the beach!

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
So what's the best magnet for a scoop then? Anyone have any leads? I hear epoxy is better than zip ties.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an earth mag in mine and ordered it with a HOLE which i put a stainless bolt in. Obviously a mag of any type will work, but one with a hole will stay in longer than zip ties or epoxy.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew, I thought about a DF last summer, but that coil was just too much of a load over here in the water. Took me only about 5 minutes out there to realize it. :laughing7:

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This side of the island aint to bad most of the time.... when the drift is bad i hunt out a little deeper even with the Xcal. You mean you can swing that big ole WOT but not the DF? How bad does it float in chest deep water? Ive always liked Whites detectors and service.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This side of the island aint to bad most of the time.... when the drift is bad i hunt out a little deeper even with the Xcal. You mean you can swing that big ole WOT but not the DF? How bad does it float in chest deep water? Ive always liked Whites detectors and service.

Dew

The WOT was tough, but not as bad. Not as much spider surface area. I noticed the same issue with my CZ-21 and the 10.5 coil, more drag then the open WOT coil. Honestly, I didn't even continue with the DF once I saw how much drag it created over here. I was thinking about one for water hunting and knew right away it wasn't going to work for me in these conditions. I'm sure it would have been great for those rare periods when the current and surf has really laid down but it just doesn't happen enough over here to justify it. Wish it did. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread