I am trying to get a Sovereign right now also. Good luck with yours! HH

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently bought a used one here locally and am still learning all the tricks and tips for it but after using it for a few weeks now, it is a great DEEP finding machine. There are posts here, and on some other forms, going over the finer points on this machine. Just do a google search and you will find alot of posts and youtube videos. So far I really like mine!

OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you... I know I have 2 good machines already ... But, what the heck,life is short!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd thing is, they dont work well in florida:laughing7: heres a tip, waterproof it.

chuck.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you say they don't work well in Fla? I was using mine on the Gulf coast (Treasure Island) last week and having no issues with it at all. Have to get the settings right but I was digging targets! Agree that if you plan on wading out into any water that waterproofing is a must but works great on the beach and in the damp at the water's edge.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your self a few good reference book(s) by different authors.

My favorite is "The Ultimate Sovereign Beach Hunters Guide" by Gary T. Drayton as it is based on Gary's personal experiences and he is a great story teller.

Clive James Clynick (CJC) has written several books on using the Minelab Excalibur and Sovereign which are good references.
as they are a complation of his experiences and other detectorists, I had difficulty initially understanding them as I was trying to learn the detector and how to treasure hunt at the same time.

I constantly re read above books periodicaly, as their concepts, theories, and tips become clearer with experience and I always learn something which I either missed or did not understand for lack of experience.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How?

By that I mean what is the best way of water proofing a Sovereign.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After you get comfortable with it buy a really large coil like the Coiltek 15". You can really cover a lot of beach with it. Also make sure you have a big sturdy scoop because you will be digging some very deep holes.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys........i was joking !!!!!!!!!!

chuck.

OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After you get comfortable with it buy a really large coil like the Coiltek 15". You can really cover a lot of beach with it. Also make sure you have a big sturdy scoop because you will be digging some very deep holes.

I'm ready for that! Got the Stealth 720. How similar are the controls and settings to the Excal? Thanks

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S1 get a little time under your belt ..... id like to know how you think it compares to that Exp II you have. Its always seemed to be THE beach machine.... just now seeing more using the Etrac and Exp on the beach or at least posing. I have the SE with the SEF and it works great.... except for the tones at say a .8 gram gold ring, mighty close to salt falsing tone.

Dew

OP
OP
s1u2r3f4

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S1 get a little time under your belt ..... id like to know how you think it compares to that Exp II you have. Its always seemed to be THE beach machine.... just now seeing more using the Etrac and Exp on the beach or at least posing. I have the SE with the SEF and it works great.... except for the tones at say a .8 gram gold ring, mighty close to salt falsing tone.

Dew

That was my major concern. The Exp ll is great, specially on silver but it seemed like the general consensus was not so well on gold. Gosh knows I didn't NEED another and the cost was great but if I'm spending so much time swinging one when there is maybe something better..... We'll see!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, here on Lee County Beaches they are terrible! :laughing7:

i have heard they cant handle the flux capacitive sand up there!
chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread