Beach Replentishment Hunting

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beach replenishment is taking place in Ocean City N.J. They are pumping off shore sand into the beach and spreading it. I'm thinking there might
be some rare targets coming off the bottom of the ocean since there are many shipwrecks out there. Do you think this is a good place to hunt
or not.

Upvote 0

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cheep one Ace 250.. Its been a decent machine . i m not gentle with it.. very scarcely gives silver and gold hits.

fishinmcc

Jan 8, 2013
IC never used the 250. I run a cheapO bounty hunter it finds clad real well only silvers a couple shallow mercs

fishinmcc muncie indiana TreasureNet

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PeteyPete & fishinmcc: Most entry level detectors perform surprisingly well on dry sand beaches and will find coins & Jewelry (fresh drops) which have not sunken too deep.

If you detect clad coins, you should be able to detect silver even easier as silver is a better conductor than copper.
Likewise, If you detect lead sinkers, pull tabs, nickel coins , you should be able to detect gold and platinum.

Don't be fooled by price, it is a matter of using the right type of detector for the domain you are treasure hunting on.
As long as you stay high & dry - do not detect on wet sand, and in the water on salt water beaches, you should do well.

I purchased a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 (entry level) - has meter, as part of a buy one get one free offer, when I bought an Excalibur ll for shallow water hunting and have been very satisfied with the performance of both detectors.

Last edited:

fishinmcc

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks clad. I hunt in indiana clay. I've found clad nearing a foot deep so I'm glad to hear silver should pic up better makes me wanna keep digging on the ones that seem to be in china

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is that certain Beach in Ocean County where Reales have been found for decades I would definately search it just got to be at the right place at the right time a few places in jersey they added 5 to 6 feet of sand

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i have found gold and silver but Ruffly $200 Clad 0.00 Silver Coins..

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One recent replenishment was of a Jersey beach famous for giving up Reales. The state mandated that the dredgers use special screens. Smaller than the standard openings that would let most coin sized objects pass through. The smaller opening screens would catch and hold Reales. Parts of the beach were taped off with police security tape, guards were on the beach, as well as Archeologist. A few of us managed to sneak in every once in a while. But usually, anyone trying to get in was chased off. The replen of this beach took forever.

The only way Archeologist knew that Reales were showing up on that beach was from people finding them coming on to sites like this one with their "Gee Mom, look what I found!" posts. Nothing worse for beach hunters than a pirate with a big mouth giving away information.

Reales are still being found occasionally, but most of the pirates have wised up.

Last edited:

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hope i find one soon fishinmcc.. maybee ill find a Reales. ..
As coins are my true hobby now im getting into jewelry and other silver pieces buying selling once in a while detecting..
Seems like a stretch they saw a post on site and decided we better filter it and tape off the beach. If it was a big find i could see it. anything is possible..

fishinmcc

Jan 8, 2013
Right. My state has a law that if you find anything 100 years old or older that you have to turn in the Archaeological Society. I think its garbage. Nobody else is out there doing this. I can see if it is a sight that has a large historical significance but small finds come on.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
The Archeologist in our state have managed to get the legislature and state agengies to outlaw metal detecting in 1/3 of the state. it's Ok to let campers come in, leave thier trash and crap all over these "Historical Sites" But don't dare dig a six inch hole! And, because we have to protect antiquites for future generations don't dare remove anything! OK, here's the problem - those antiquities are rotting away to nothing because noone is looking for them. And, that rotting process is being helped along by the piss of 100,000 campers every year. Nothing is being saved.

The truth is the Archys are pissed off that we found it and they didn't. To stop that, they used their lobbiest to affect policy. The only thing being saved is the hit to the Archy's egos.

fishinmcc

Jan 8, 2013
The Archeologist in our state have managed to get the legislature and state agengies to outlaw metal detecting in 1/3 of the state. it's Ok to let campers come in, leave thier trash and crap all over these "Historical Sites" But don't dare dig a six inch hole! And, because we have to protect antiquites for future generations don't dare remove anything! OK, here's the problem - those antiquities are rotting away to nothing because noone is looking for them. And, that rotting process is being helped along by the piss of 100,000 campers every year. Nothing is being saved.

The truth is the Archys are pissed off that we found it and they didn't. To stop that, they used their lobbiest to affect policy. The only thing being saved is the hit to the Archy's egos.

I agree. Don't get me wrong. I think the history should be preserved. It's not like we're usin 1600s furniture for firewood or melting down relics for scrap. I think we should have the right to preserve and pass on our finds as we see fit.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are doing the same here in Va Beach too. Not sure if they are actually getting anything good off the bottom and putting it on the beach but we will see....

Something to consider, or look into.......I've seen some discussion here and on other sites about the dredges having "screens" or "filters" that can me put in place to catch artifacts and such. Not saying that is happening there now but, if people start finding artifacts/treasure, then they may put something like that in place or even close the beach until it can be assessed by someone from the archaeological community.

If you see any of the work crews out there on the beach, strike up a friendly conversation and try to elicit some info!

You ain't kidding bro I hit Malibu the other day and it was dry as a fricken cat box. Not one good find

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dredging they're doing here in SoCal must have some sort of screen on it as there is absolutely NOTHING being pumped up onto the beaches......not a coin, shell, or rock.

You ain't kidding bro I hit Malibu the other day and its was dryer than a cats sand box in the winter. Not one good keeper. Went out with my Sand shark.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching the replenishment in Sandbridge and the box on the beach has a very fine screen(about 1/2 inch). Looks to stop all kinds of things. The barge also has a huge spray where they start the pump so it must be filtered too. Good luck!

Delmarvapackrat

Greenie
Sep 13, 2013
Holly Springs, NC
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother-in-law lives in Dagsboro and he has a friend who has been MDing around the beach replenishment and says he can't find anything...only after a storm. BIL works for DELDOT and says no screens are on dredge. We didn't get to Coin Beach yesterday...got sidetracked.

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Last year the dredge was in Absecon inlet pumping sand onto Atlantic City beach. I know they found 5 Spanish coins in the dredge screen because I talked to the guys who appraised and purchased them from the dredge operator. The shipwreck was on the bar just off the BRIGANTINE side of the inlet.

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Beach in Delaware was a bust before this past storm. Since it poured all weekend I was unable to get out. Not check to drive to the beach for me and such a pain to not get any hits. They may or may not have screens of the beach replenishment but I have searched a lot of Long Island before the dredging and after Sandy. Before they started pumping sand on the beach I would get a fair amount of targets...coins, junks, what have you but it was there. Since the beach replenishment and aftert Labor Day I have hit nothing on the beach. I have found most of the clad at entrances and cabanas. In Delaware I still have not been finding much. It is getting frustrated to be hunting in a place that has history older than our country and still find nothing. The State of Delaware FINALLY got back to me after 5 months of seeking permission only to deny me because I am not a professional archeologist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread