Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you are writing this post probably 10 guys are detecting the beach already lol! Better get out there quick!!!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach replenishment is a tough act to follow, but when they are sucking that much sand with that much force anything is possible. I don't know, but I would suspect they have some type of screening process to help limit the amount of debris/crushed shell, etc., they put back on the beach. :dontknow:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N middle or South portion?
Dredging is just another sand/target sorting action. All in the timing.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are doing the same here in Va Beach too. Not sure if they are actually getting anything good off the bottom and putting it on the beach but we will see....

Something to consider, or look into.......I've seen some discussion here and on other sites about the dredges having "screens" or "filters" that can me put in place to catch artifacts and such. Not saying that is happening there now but, if people start finding artifacts/treasure, then they may put something like that in place or even close the beach until it can be assessed by someone from the archaeological community.

If you see any of the work crews out there on the beach, strike up a friendly conversation and try to elicit some info!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dredging they're doing here in SoCal must have some sort of screen on it as there is absolutely NOTHING being pumped up onto the beaches......not a coin, shell, or rock.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Indian River Inlet Delaware they are pumping target free sand over a shipwreck. Oh well.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the wreck eh? In an attempt to preserve it and keep the artifacts from washing up on the beaches where they can be found?

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's definitely not a good thing Bill...Years ago they spit some really great stuff up on the beach, but nowadays they use a screening system and nothing gets through..It's like hunting in a sandbox of fresh bagged sand from your local hardware store...OC will be ruined until the summer's fresh drops start to happen...Beach replens in South Jersey are a beach hunters worst friend..

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know that such a screen existed or was used. Wouldn't it clog easy & often? Wished they would have used a screen in Rehoboth. You need boots to enter the water there.

Smokey-so they are purposely covering the wreck site or just filing in the general area and replenishing the beach?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may be using a screen as a classifier and automatically dumping the larger size particles back in the water without seeing them.
This way they would not have to take time to sort and eliminate the possibility of archeologists slowing/stopping replenishment efforts.

Last edited:

Dream on Don

Greenie
Jun 7, 2012
Altoona, PA
Detector(s) used
etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach replenishment is taking place in Ocean City N.J. They are pumping off shore sand into the beach and spreading it. I'm thinking there might
be some rare targets coming off the bottom of the ocean since there are many shipwrecks out there. Do you think this is a good place to hunt
or not.

Bill, I'll be down there first week of June and second week of July. What areas are they doing the replenishing (between which streets)? Thanks, Don

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well one really good nor'easter, like the one coming Wednesday can be a great equalizer. Water moves sand very easily.

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anybody that wants info on the Central and SJ beach replens can go view todays article in the AC Press as it lays out the schedule of whats to be done and whats still to come ..
Some projects will be ongoing into the summer tourist season ..Just what you want to view while you are relaxing on vacation :(

Pathetic !!
Wait till you see how many millions will be washed away in one good storm ..

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent about three hours on Indain Rocks Beach in FL where they replenished after the last major storm that brushed us. Didn't get a ping! No pull tabs, nothing and I was hunting near a public park where there was always partying! Good luck, anything is possible!

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago I was walking a beach in south Jersey after a replenishment (without a detector) and found a very interesting artifact. A femur bone from a female human (according to the medical examiner). Apparently they were unable to match the remains to any missing people. This year I hope to find something with the detector!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Hey shadowline,, if it missed a femur, it will miss any piece of jewelry. Go detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread