Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need help spending some money....
I'm looking at several detectors for the beach, but the more research I do, the more confused I get. The following are my choices, which detector would you recommend for the VB/OC/OBX areas? I know Excals are very popular but I want to look at all options, but not interested in a PI machine.

Excal
Etrac
CZ21
F75
SEPro
Sovreign GT

CTX3030 is out of my price range for now....unless I find a REALLY good deal....LOL...

Thanks

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 2 of the machines you have listed are waterproof, so if your beach hunting, those are your options.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used excal & Etrac at VA beach. If you plan on going near the water, then excal or cz21 is your best bet as they're waterproof. Excal does very well on the beach here. Most people you meet are swinging one. I wouldn't invest a bunch of money on a machine that isn't waterproof, just to lose your investment on one wave.

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Understood. BUT, I don't plan on hunting much deeper than waist deep, and that's not very often. I mostly hunt the shallows. Some of the others I've seen can be "waterproofed" to a certain extent.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't even get in the water without a waterproof detector sooner or later it will slip out of your hands and the waves splashing also Excalibur or cz21

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood. BUT, I don't plan on hunting much deeper than waist deep, and that's not very often. I mostly hunt the shallows. Some of the others I've seen can be "waterproofed" to a certain extent.

You know how many times we step in a hole, get hit by a rogue wave, slip and lose balance or any number of other potential pitfalls that is water hunting..

OK, your waist deep and get a good target that is deep, how are you going to recover it and still keep your detector safe and dry?

Take the advice of people who are speaking from experience.

Another question for you, how are you going to protect it from the salt spray in the air?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know how many times we step in a hole, get hit by a rogue wave, slip and lose balance or any number of other potential pitfalls that is water hunting..

OK, your waist deep and get a good target that is deep, how are you going to recover it and still keep your detector safe and dry?

If your going deeper than ankle deep get a water detector.

Take the advice of people who are speaking from experience.

Saying your only going waist deep and will be careful is like a skydiver saying he doesn't need a reserve chute, he will be careful and not jump from very high....

Another question for you, how are you going to protect a non waterproof detector from the salt spray in the air? You have to consider that too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. In the back of my mind I had already chosen the Excalibur, I just needed affirmation... Lol. All advice well taken!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. In the back of my mind I had already chosen the Excalibur, I just needed affirmation... Lol. All advice well taken!

You won't be disappointed with the excal once you get to know it. It's a great machine!

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess my next question would be

10" coil or 8"??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10"...... If your beach hunting you have a lit of area to cover..

I have 2 custom excals with 15 inch coils, I could never go back to a 10 inch much less a 8"..

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, I hate to bring this up again, but while I'm waiting on my funds to come in for my purchase, I can't help but ponder...
I will be purchasing something waterproof, thats for sure, so of my choices, the Excal, or the CZ21, which would be the recommended machine? Whatever I get will have the 10" coil, but my dilemma is not being able to decide on the two...if I had the money I'd get both! LOL.....
So, can the CZ21 coils be swapped or are they hardwired like the Excal?
CZ21 headphones??? good, bad or swappable?
Can the CZ21 be hip mounted?
Shaft options? Battery life? yadda yadda yadda....

thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions