Waders For The Surf

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I have been detecting for a few years now, and I do most of my hunting in and on the salt water beaches. I really love hunting the surf in the Winter months, that's my favorite time of the year for beach metal detecting. I'm probably like the rest of you guys, in that, I hunt anywhere from up to the chair line all the way down to, and out in the water around waist deep or so, depending on the tide, weather conditions, and if the surf is calm or not.

I need a pair of chest waders, but unfortunately I don't have mega bucks to invest in them. I found a pair advertised online and was wondering if any of you have any experience with this particular brand and model. I do like the fact that they are "bootless" and that means a lot less weight for my lower back to have to haul around. I could just wear a pair of lightweight shoes with them, instead of the built-in rubber boot types.

Here's what I need them to be,

(1) Gotta be Comfortable
(2) Gotta be leak proof
(3) Gotta be warm
(4) Gotta be lightweight and not heavy

Please tell me what you think. And if anyone knows anything about these don't hesitate to chime in.. and thank you for any, and all help or advice.

Greg

Field & Stream Neoprene Chest Waders - Dick's Sporting Goods

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is nice about Farmer John's wet suits is if it is to warm you can open the jacket to let it cool water. If it is too warm you can always take off the jacket and just wear the bib wetsuit pants. Your arms are free and your free to work shallow water but won't have to worry about filling your waders. Plus it is easier to pee in a wet suit.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is nice about Farmer John's wet suits is if it is to warm you can open the jacket to let it cool water. If it is too warm you can always take off the jacket and just wear the bib wetsuit pants. Your arms are free and your free to work shallow water but won't have to worry about filling your waders. Plus it is easier to pee in a wet suit.
Lol! It warms you up too! I like my shorty most of the time. As long as I can keep my core warm. my legs and arms are fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread