Advice on this tesoro sand shark

Dave2

Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I've been looking for an entry level metal detector for use in the sea. My journey started off with a look at the vibra-tector 730 for $145 as something I could use while snorkeling, however, I was advised that for a bit more money I could get a proper metal detector (possibly second hand). This led me to find the Tesoro sand shark (not the newest version) which is being sold for $247 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sand-Shark-Un...883&sr=8-1&keywords=sand+shark+metal+detector This is $100 more than the vibra-tector730 and I assume it would do a better job. Has anyone had experience with this detector and do you think it's a good one to go for? If there's a better deal to be had I just want to make sure I wouldn't be missing out :) Final question is that as this is a PI could it potentially detect gold nuggets, even if it's not specifically made to? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dave2

Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking more closely at the description it says it can discriminate pull tabs...I got a suspicion that this detector might be a cheap imitation...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cheap Chinese fake. There's only been 1 sand shark since it's inception. You can find used ones for around 400-$450. That's what I got out of mine anyway and it was 3 months old at best. There built like tanks and not too much could go wrong with them unless they didn't properly maintain the seal or left old alkaline batteries in it.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro makes the real sand shark. brand new for about $ 650 with life time warrant . go very deep. Check it out before you buy you can't beat a Tesoro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Sand Shark WILL find gold nuggets. It works in Farm Fields to.

Attachments

• DesertShark.jpg
    DesertShark.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 159
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
D

Dave2

Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I checked with you guys before buying a knock off! I see kellyco has them new $577 (8" coil) or $602 (10") but that's a fair jump up from the Vibra-tector730, specifically a $432 jump if I buy it new. If a second hand one goes from $400 - $450 then the jump up is $255 which is obviously more in range to save up for. Does the warranty still apply on a second hand device?

My dilemma is do I spend less and hope I get lucky by finding a few rings with the Vibra 730 (to finance a jump up) or wait and try and save up for the sand shark...decisions decisions.

Thanks for the info on nuggets Terry, that's good to know and definitely gives the sand shark more flexibility and more value!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're wanting to do mostly water hunting I would buy the 8". I had a 10" and it's a little more cumbersome in surf conditions. You'll still hit targets deeper than you can dig or want to dig with the 8" anyway in the surf.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread