Choose, during a busy day or the day after.?

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
The concern here relates to depositors, and how to make best use of a busy beach day.

In this scenario, there are two options:

1] Saturday, when it's hot, there's lots of people at the beach, but has been cold prior and the depositing starts and ends late that day, long after low tide,

2] Sunday, when it's cold, no more depositing, all people have come and gone and ripe for picking at low tide but recent drops might have sank too deep, and there might be one or two other detectorists that get there early.

Ideally, the best time would be when there have been plenty of depositors at the end of Saturday, but the low tide is long gone by that time, which is at 2:30 both days (for the sake of it). I don't want to hunt night time either. So either detect when there's still depositing to be had, or the next day after all of them have been.

Wind direction and speed is same on both days, which day would you choose to detect?

Upvote 0

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go at numero 2 but thats just because its hard trying to detect when all the hot girls are all over u. Thats why this hobby is so hard, The females see it something like this: Man + detector= sexy caveman+diamonds(females best friend)=sex in the dunes=u drop all ur finds in the sand humping around=wasted detecting time.

On a more serious note i prefer number 2 when its not to much ppl,and early if i can get up from the alarm mostly because then i can walk wherever i feel like and noones in the way.
I think like this, it doesnt matter if im there 1 minute after someone drops something or 10 days, its so easy to miss stuff and everyone miss stuff all the time that it doesnt really matter much, if mother nature wants u to find a gold ring today then mother nature will give u one.
But ofc going to a beach just after theres been alot of ppl increase ur chances of a find.
Somewere inside i think u already have the answer to ur own question, we all prefer diffrent things.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is physically hard to detect around a lot of people and the more people there are, the more interruptions there are with silly questions. With that said, the best time to go hunting is every time you get the chance. HH, Beach Papa

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much competition you have. If you are out there with the people or right after they leave, you'll know if other hunters have been out. Go on day two and the goodies may already be picked up by other hunters.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third option...go both days.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been going down late in the day 4 or 5 as folks are leaving and hunting till sunset...Beautiful time of day and usually cooling off. I'll work dry sand if tides high then go back Sunday morning for low tide.......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never concern myself with the competition, the beach is a huge place and the coil is such a small tool. Let the competition get into your head and you're already arming yourself with disadvantage. I'm sure I'm not the only hunter who has made many a good find at mid-week, long after the weekend crowd and parade of weekend hunters have vacated the beach. Most gold rings are less then an inch in diameter, set them on edge and they present even smaller targets. Six miles of beach that's 200 yards wide and it's packed from end to end nearly each and every summer day, and it's been this way years upon years. Sort of makes the competition factor seem a bit insignificant. A big part of this hobby is simply maintaining a positive frame of mind. Go whenever you get the opportunity. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies,

this example wasn't just for a previous weekend, it is an ongoing problem because I only really get to hunt weekends. In Spring and Autumn, this is a common situation. Some good advice here, to add, I think sand is a bigger problem than competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions