The Adventure Finally Begins

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Adventure Finally Begins!

I think there comes a point in time that many of us develop a desire for a new chase, something different then our typical beach hunts for modern jewelry. So, this little thread is about one such journey from simple notion to stark reality. On Friday the dream hunts begins, and as you can probably tell, I'm rather excited about the possibilities, though ever aware of the staggering odds against the quest. So let me explain how this all came about.

“Old”, and I mean really old, sixteenth and seventeenth and eighteenth century stuff. I've been fortunate enough to stand on the beach with such an item in my hand, completely mesmerized by the item's detail and completely lured by the item's mystery. I gotta tell, once this bug grabs a hold on you it will never leave, not really. And so it all began for me on that day and it has been with me ever since. In the years to follow I often spent my free time researching the item, eventually tracking it all the way back to it's original source, then piecing together the trail that eventually brought it half-way around the world and onto the east coast. What a fabulous journey that has been and what an opening experience that journey provided. But alas, it was a totally random find, an isolated piece that had somehow been lost or discarded without any know significant event. Pretty much the end to that fascinating story, but certainly not the end to the flame it had ignited. The modern jewelry hunting is great but it simply can't compare to the discovering of something really old with a rich and fascinating history attached to it, at least not for me anyway. And ever since that lone discovery I've desired to find more of the same. Now comes the current adventure about to be undertaken.

Several years ago while I was still living in Indiana I started a pet project of sorts, one of those winter pastimes to help keep the treasure hunting fire burning until the following spring thaw, and since my sister lived on the east coast of Florida, well, it just seemed a likely place for such a pursuit. Cutting past all of the research jargon, let's just say that I eventually ran into a possibility that held promise, and actually a couple of them, and so it was here that I began to place all of my focus. In reality, at the time it was nothing more then an unlikely pet-project dream hunt. I mean I was living and working in Indiana and I only made it to my sister's place a couple of times a year, for perhaps a week at a time. Now keep in mind that this was before that isolated beach find spoken about earlier. Needless to say, after a couple of winters researching and assembling the pet-project it was eventually forgotten about like so many other life dreams. But then a few years ago family health issues required that I actually move here and after finding that isolated item spoken of earlier this same old pet-project was quickly reborn again.

The first few years of hunting the beaches down here really set me back a bit because there was so much to learn, the new environment presenting much the same to me as entirely different planet. And the beach was absolutely HUGE, almost overwhelming as it continues to sprawl in endless abundance in every direction. All too eager and all too naïve I dove right in, now looking back I can honestly guess that in those first few months I probably dug more false signals then actual targets! Clearly I had a lot to learn, and thus began that long and sometimes painful education process. In the beginning I had no idea just how blind to the reality I actually was but truth be told I was as green to these beaches and this new environment as some of the quarters I eventually started to find. But eventually persistence started to pay off and I've come a long way since then, and with that the old research was eventually pulled back out and this latest undertaking is finally about to begin. “The search for old.” Time to see if the research, patience, endurance, and hunting skills are up to the task. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop.......good luck with your hunt for the 'old'. I'm traveling down a similar path which I suspect will eventually lead to an ancient past. :thumbsup:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great post, Bigscoop.

I wish you the best in your new adventure to find the "old".

Lorraine

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck BigScoop. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day one, section one;.....instead of losing sand, this section had more sand then it did prior to the passing of the recent front. In fact, upon further inspection, the entire stretch of beach (several miles) didn't see any significant sand loss anywhere. Needless to say, this was a real bummer. After an hour of toiling in the targeted section it was decided to opt for plan "B", which was only about 4 miles away. What we found here was pretty much the same, though there were a lot of liter targets, coins and such, scattered about in the wet sand. This area has produced some older coins and other items in the past but not today, though I do have a couple of items that need to be cleaned up just to confirm that they are indeed junk pieces? And so went day one. Still way too much sand on the targeted beaches.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the two items prior to cleaning. The item on the right is a pendent of some type, probably of a religious nature, obviously been in the water for a while, and while it does bear some weight I suspect it's junk. The other item is very curious, extremely dense and gold in color, perhaps a small bead of some type? Probably will turn out to be junk as well? The pendent was extremely deep, near 18" if not deeper. The bead, or whatever it is, was also fairly deep, maybe in the 10"-12" range.

day1.jpg

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I love figuring it out. I have piece that might be a ship spike. Has a square head. Ill post a pic a little later. Were ship spikes cast out of iron?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now your talking my language!
Reading that made me want to strap on my headlamp and go right now!
I'm almost positive that's going to be a religious devotional pendant.. they can be quite old and associated with shipwrecks.. they can also be modern as you probably know.

il_570xN.jpeg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love figuring it out. I have piece that might be a ship spike. Has a square head. Ill post a pic a little later. Were ship spikes cast out of iron?

Yes some.. some very large.
If it's been on the beach or in the ocean very long it will look like a giant chunk of encrustation.
You can usually tell an old one because it will be wrought iron and not cast.
Wrought iron gets a striated look to it after aging in a wet salt environment.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an iron 16th century dead eye after electrolysis.

ForumRunner_20131115_195208.png

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck next time out scoop!!!! lets see those items after some mild cleaning.

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the most difficult part of the process is learning all these new sections of beach, figuring out how and when certain conditions will effect them, learning their makeup, ect., but without a doubt it is necessary, if not vital. In my mind this is the only way to insure that you're keeping the actual hunts over the most promising sections of beach possible. This is the stage I'm at now, trying to learn how all these different sections of beach react to the various conditions. I think once all of this is learned the odds will be greatly improved.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll constantly be fine tuning exactly that... your already a step ahead just knowing that already.
It makes what seems like a vast expanse of beach at first...turn into smaller more manageable promising sections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll constantly be fine tuning exactly that... your already a step ahead just knowing that already.
It makes what seems like a vast expanse of beach at first...turn into smaller more manageable promising sections.

"Bingo!".....and it was pretty much the same way learning to hunt for modern jewelry on my local beaches. I think this, more then anything else, has paid the largest dividends over time. Just knowing where your best odds of success are likely to reside.

"The sand can give. The sand can take away." :laughing7:

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it man.. like pattern fishing almost.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The typical "Current drift" is something else I've been trying to educate myself on.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've even placed test objects of various weight,size,shape,density and surface area down to watch how different items react.
Here's a good one... sacrifice a silver dime by cutting it in quarters and place the pieces below the sand..wet,dry,deep,shallow...to get a pretty good idea how
a cob will read on your machine.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, you guys are on it!! I share your excitement Scoop! The quest is the best part. Just wish I had started this some 30 years ago! :icon_queen:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you guys are on it!! I share your excitement Scoop! The quest is the best part. Just wish I had started this some 30 years ago! :icon_queen:

Never too late to start a quest. And, even if you never realize the intended quest you still succeeded simply because you pursued it. The hardest part is giving yourself that required nudge. :thumbsup: You only live once, so why not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread