Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is about having the knowledge and experience to narrow down those "miles of sand," into particular areas that are most likely to have the majority of targets you are trying to find, and having the right equipment - and experience with that equipment, to put those targets in your scoop.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Terry said, but yeah theres certainly an element of luck in there too.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it really matter? If ya can hunt salt water, isn't the whole point of finding goodies is gettin your coil over the target? Think about it, a 10 " coil a 3/4" in ring, miles of sand. At this point I would have to say it is not the machine, but being able to read the beach or being lucky, or the best being LUCKY... Isn't this really a game of odds?:icon_scratch:

but it CAN be all about the detector. When you are talking about a salt beach the list of acceptable detectors becomes VERY small. If you put your coil ovevr the target but the machine can't see it for all the background "noise" it does you no good.

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Orlando , so I really didn't think of that. I assumed a salt machine. But it's still the same thing... Found 2 huse rings with DF 4 years ago at Maumee park around the swimmin hole, nice finds...

Avon....

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the user is a seasoned vet in the art of detecting then the only thing limiting the user is the machine.

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where your completly wrong.... Not the machine, if the coil doesn't go over the target then a 17K machine would not matter, think about it...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where your completly wrong.... Not the machine, if the coil doesn't go over the target then a 17K machine would not matter, think about it...

Surely you can see that this is a completely false argument. OF COURSE you have to put your coil over the target! If your machine can't deal with the environment then you will never know that you are over the target.

Personally, I think you are getting too wrapped up about this. If you are happy with what you swing, then why would you waste 1 second worrying what other people think?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the machine has to be capable, the person operating the machine should be fairly competent with said machine.
there's a quote that states................. "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." :icon_thumright:
some walk around hoping to get lucky, some do whatever they can to take as much luck out of the equation as possible.....at this point, they are relying more on skill than luck and the more skill they obtain the better their odds get!

I do consider myself lucky to even be able to play the game!!!!!

chuck.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With everything else being equal, my personal feeling is this....."The guy who gets the most gold is the guy who gets his coil over the most accessible gold." We can only find the gold that we have access to, can't find what we have no access to. So to a point, I'd say you're 100% accurate in suggesting that it isn't the machine, but it's also a long way from just plain blind luck. This is why, year after year, the same few guys are always finding a great deal of gold regardless what machine they're using at the time. The illusion is the machine they're using at the time. :thumbsup:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I feel opportunity is very important also. This winter sucks down here. No storms no cuts no booty

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel opportunity is very important also. This winter sucks down here. No storms no cuts no booty

The biggest reason I've not even bothered going. No better then the conditions have been this winter it would have cost me far money to go then what I could have potentially come home with. Those consistent opportunities just haven't been there this year. I guess I've become an opportunist these days......:laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always said its 33% the machine - 33% the Th'er and 33% luck - and combinations there of
if you are experienced - have a real good machine - you may find gold all the time
but you can be experienced and have a great machine - and if you don't get lucky enough to be in the right spot - youre not going to get it
being experienced and having good tools will increase your odds of though
If you don't learn your machine - but have one of the best out there - you can have luck and walk out on the sand and find gold
if you don't learn your machine - have one of the best out there and never find gold
Ive met guys that knew nothing about the hobby -bought a below $200 machine and went out and did good right off the bat -right place at right time
so luck plays a big roll
I have had many - many guys see my gold and run out and buy a machine - go out a few times and come back with a handful of nails and quit
they think its so simple - now and then it is simple - for me I hunt where tons of guys hammer - for me its more like work
I have to use my experience - slow down - crank sensitivity - hunt in all metal - work farther out - work in the rocks and other places that others don't

I like to use this example of luck
hooked up with 2 friends on one of my trips to Fla. - they drove together - I followed
we went to a spot that they have done good many times and I had done good the few times I had gone in the past
we were all experienced - when we arrived -friend A grabbed his scoop and machine and said see you out there
friend B took a little longer but asked if I was ready - I had to put my scoop together and my machine together
put my dive boots on - check all my equipment - told him I was gonna be just a bit longer and he should catch up to
friend A - I was just minutes behind - when I approached the water - friend A was hitting directly in front of me
friend b was working to the left - so I was left with the right - jumped in about chest deep - turned machine on - walked
about 10 feet and got a huge white gold band with diamonds - I yelled over to friend A and said "I think I got a good one!"
he came over and said a few expletives - friend B looked up and friend A yelled "can you believe it ...he got one already"
he walked away - I walked another 10 feet - he worked his way back to where he left off - next target -Bang
18k wedding band - I yelled over "guess what!" ...he said "your f...ing kidding"
I turned and started again - Bang - a huge silver ring = I got all 3 within about 5 mins.
we all had the talent - all had the machines =friend A had an Aquasound ...friend B a Excal ..me a CZ21
it was luck of the short straw

Get out there and put the time in and hopefully luck will find you - hopefully it will be golden - hopefully it will stop by often :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm kinda disagree BS, it is both...

You can be world's best race car driver and never win a race if your driving a mediocre race car or world's worst driver and still never win a race with the best car on the track. IMO it's a combination of both. ..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, anyone who excels at anything understands his prey and his tools. Pick any hobby, sport, profession, whatever,......except the lottery. There is always some amount of gold being found, recent drops can happen anywhere at anytime. But to be able to produce consistently....you'd better have a good understanding of your prey and the tools you intend to use. Games change, the tools change, but the same handful of guys still excel above the rest. Why? Is it the machine? "No".....same guys been doing it for years with a host of different machines. This isn't to say they don't use the best tools they can, because they do, but many of them have had even better prior years using the tools of old. But they are always at the top of the class, regardless what machine they have had in their hands. Once you get into the top class of machines it has very little to do with the machine. If there was truly a "super best beach & water gold machine" out there everyone would own it and everyone would be swearing by it and everyone would be posting lots and lots of gold. I've never personally seen this come to fruition. Sov. gt, Excal, Sand Shark, 3030, DF, CZ, etc., etc., they'll all find gold and some guys have done it consistently with most or all of them. So is it really the machine?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL....you named the top of the line water machines for beach detecting... :thumbup:

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS has figured it out...:thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL....you named the top of the line water machines for beach detecting... :thumbup:

I just sort of took it for granted that he was meaning saltwater hunting with a bounty hunter. :laughing7: If that's the case, then the machine can certainly make the difference! :laughing7: :thumbsup:

By the way.....I'm about up for a road trip. I could use the getaway. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread