My UK Beach Hunting Exploits in film!!

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Recently started filming my Beach hunts and posting them on Youtube, as you know beach hunting is not all gold rings and soveriegns so please check out my vids and hope you enjoy them!

Copy and paste link into your browser

Mark Pryer - YouTube

Still getting used to filming when detecting as its not as easy as you think, but enjoying making them and hopefully people enjoy them. I have also made one covering one of the detectors I use (CSCOPE CS4ZX) , i need to do another covering my old blue box (Whites 5000D Series II) which I have rehoused all the electronics, changed the stem and made it a body mount machine, the shaft and coil are so light now you can swing it all day without the use of a bungee.

All the best from a very wet UK

Mark

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Mark .. from a very dry Southern California!

Watched all your videos and do appreciate the efforts in making them. thanks!

I would like to see more of the landscape and feel sort of claustrophobic seeing just a tiny patch of beach. I understand you might not want to advertise your exact location so if that's the case maybe just a few quick wider shots?

That beach looks very interesting and i'd like to see what a Pi machine might recover.

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Drjoeprime

Glad u enjoyed the videos, appreciate the constructive feedback regarding the wider shots, very useful, I will try to get some wider shots in the next one.

I am trying to keep the location guarded as it in middle of nowhere and I must be only person to run detector over it, Had loads of coins but since i got the camera out not as much, isnt that always the way!

The sand is only about 5" deep maximum then you hit a layer of hard clay evrywhere, so the good thing is that's the max depth of ALL targets regardless of density. Not used a PI machine but i know they go very deep, have you made some good finds with yours?
Regards
Mark

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe

Wow now that is a good hunt!! and even better you say they regularly move the sand your one lucky guy.

The majority of beaches where I live in the south east of the UK are either pebbles or shingle with the odd patch of sand. There are a few sandy ones but these are a bit further away from me and they do get hit hard. I will hopefully be going to one of these and will film my finds.

Have read about the PI machines in use in the UK and some people don't last with them as they dig loads of junk, do you find you do this on your side or are the beaches there a lot cleaner?

Regards

Mark

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20.gif 10.gif

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm getting excited just thinking about it..but I gotta tell you of winter storms at my secret spot about 3 years ago...some 5 feet depth of sand was removed all the way to a small boardwalk. all sorts of old coins were there for the taking...silver and copper from the 1800's. In a few spots clay strata were visible and I thoroughly enjoyed scouring for gold rings. If memory serves me I got a nice three gold rings one day and many more silver over the course of a few weeks.

That spot is back now sanded over plus the city has moved in sand to get it back to previous shape. The good news is that occasionally the sand they bring in comes from old blanket line spots and a few gold rings pop out. My avatar ring with the green stone is one such.

Most of our local Southern California beaches are strictly sand. However there are areas were the sand is more substantial with coarse sand grains. Also wave action does segregate gravel from the depths and sometimes this causes gravel patches in the wet sand. I've gotten good finds in these patches.

Typical junk that will cause signals with a PI are hairpins, aluminum bits, nails, iron junk. In the sand with easy digging it's not a problem. I can see with your kind of beaches it will cause more difficulty. When I go detecting I enjoy the 'process' and not necessarily the value of the finds. Being out near the water on a sunny day (an occasional bikini) beautiful sunsets ... Ahhh can't be beat!

I suspect that at your beach even the junk might be interesting and historic. Great Britain has such a long history compared to the U.S.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Vid...thanks for sharing...

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Just posted a new vid on the channel, went to a vast UK beach today and hit a good cluster of coins!

Mark

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Casper and OBN, much apreciated.
Well I managed to get out to a lovely sandy beach in the above video which makes a change as we haven't got too many near my home, had a good day and found a few coins which is always a bonus!

I know what you mean about the history Joe as we find coins here from 1880 and don't really consider them as that old, you never know what your going to get on the beach, a guy fairly local to me found a medieval hammered silver coin on a beach, now I would love to find one of those!!

But like yourself I just like being out on the beach detecting, as you can see from the vids it not all gold rings and gold sovereign coins but I enjoy being out and hope people enjoy the vids showing the normal everyday side of UK beach detecting.

Regards

Mark

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All
Just loaded another video on the channel, had a good hunt here and found coins from three different monarchs, Queen Victoria, King George Vi and Queen Elizabeth II. Even the bottle caps on the beach were old so was definitely in the right area!

Hope you enjoy and if so please subscribe.

Regards
Mark

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice video Mark!

I really like the look of the place.

A couple years back I got, here in California not far apart, two 1 pound coins, 1985 and 2003. I thought it was interesting that the newer coin has graciously given a proper age to the Queen. Growing up in Canada I'm very familiar with having Queen Elizabeth on our coins too.

pounds4-16sm.jpg

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mark! Enjoyed your vids. Some cool stuff.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
North or South in the UK?

Boy do I miss my walks on the beach! Although so glad I missed all the recent storms there recently!

You were lucky with your beach - this was Brighton not so long ago!!

good finds and video!!

_72093201_chrislamb.jpg imagesKX3RQ4GD.jpg

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

I am in the south east of the UK near the capitol city of London, county is called Kent!

Like the two pound coins good that you found two different pics of the queen, and funnily enough was at that exact spot not long back walking along there, god theres a lot of shingle been dumped on there.

Glad you all enjoying the vids makes it all worthwhile.

Keep watching!

Mark

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Clip of a small hunt sunday morning, been having some good sunny weather recently so managed to get out twice this weekend!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Very nice video, again. Trillinghanks.

Those low spots are quite productive here in our more touristy beaches.

i especially enjoyed seeing the road on your way home. A bit thrilling because, of course, for us (U.S.) it's the wrong side.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Very nice video, again. Thanks.

Those low spots are quite productive here in our more touristy beaches.

i especially enjoyed seeing the road on your way home. A bit thrilling because, of course, for us (U.S.) it's the wrong side.

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe

Glad you enjoyed it, maybe next time i'm in the car I'll do my chatting as I come to a roundabout on the road , not sure if you have those in the US, oh yes forgot i'd be on the otherside of the road!

Got the day off work this friday and really looking forward togetting a full days detecting in but as expected weather looking like rain!! But should hopefully be ok.

The beach i'm going to has a lot of history and was very popular back in Victorian times so when I put the video together I am planning to put some then and now pictures in so yu can see how it has or hasn't changed.

Regards

Mark

OP
OP

3pinplug

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all
Latest video for you, went to an old Victorian beach and include a "then and now" shot for you!
Found quite a few bits, beach had a cut and lots of blacksand - hope you enjoy!
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread