Has anyone diving with Hookah equip had problems with compressor or engine??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi I have been posting with all you guys concerning the use of hookah vs tanks. All you guys that have a hookah unit have had engine or compressor problems with the hookah units?? Just wondering because had a whole bunch of problem in the past with a hookah from brownies. How long until I need to service hookah and engine before major problems arise?? Any input is needed and appreciated!! ;D

Upvote 0

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Makahaman...

You asked about problems and also about maintenance schedules, so I'll give you a bit of input here.
I've had a few hookah compressors and I mostly used them for shallow work, underwater cleaning/scrubbing of boat hulls. They did a good job and I changed the oil on the drive motor every three months. I got my compressor with a Honda 4 cycle engine and it had a "low oil" cutoff on it, which means when the oil got too low, the engine shut off... not good when you're down to 50 feet digging or working. So, you need to check your oil level regularly, change the oil and sparkplug regularly and the motor will run on and on and on... ;)

The compressor end of the package, on small units, are usually oiless, using Teflon coated pistons/cylinders they are good, but they do wear out over time. You'll know when they need replacement, cause they won't be pumping much air. You can buy a rebuild kit for them or just replace the entire compressor unit. I used mine on a daily basis for anywhere from 2 hours to 10 hours a day, depending on my work load. I replaced a compressor once (after nearly 2,000 hours) replaced another one after it took a dump into the river and I have now just replaced my third after nearly 2600 hours on it.

As far as any problems, I've had two. One occurred when I was cleaning a boat bottom at the local commercial fishing pier. I set the hookah unit down, got into my hull scrubbing and after about two hours into the job, I had a rush of water come through the hose into my full face mask and then no air! I came up (was only in 6') and found that the compressor had "walked" off the dock (vibrated off)! So now, I lash my units down to the dock or a cleat to prevent this.

The other problem I had was, again hull scrubbing, I became dizzy, vomitting and could barely get out of the water. Once I got aboard my dive boat, I found that the "snorkel" (breathing air intake mounted on a 3' aluminum extension) had snapped at the base. The bolt at the base of the snorkel mount had actually snapped, and the breathing air intake actually came to rest only a few inches from the Honda motor exhaust muffler!!! This is the honest truth!!!! I damn near died from carbon monoxide poisoning...so, I lash everthing together now. I have my own breathing air intake hard mounted to the wheel house on the boat and I no longer worry about exhaust fumes. :o

I'm kind of embarrassed to have admitted such a mistake, but I only bring it up in hopes that others may avoid such an accident. I know there are other, professional treasure hunters here on the forum that will have advice for you as well. The only other thing I can say is buy the best equipment you can afford... don't skimp on your breathing gear.

Stay safe, dive safe... and come back to show us what you found,

Wayne ;)

Wayne

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
wayne, i know what your talking about with , things walking off the dock. was pressure washing my boat and almost had it "walk" into the water. pays to take two min. to lash those kind of things down. as far as the exhaust fumes, didnt you smell it? i think i would of, and realized something was wrong.
capt_t

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Capt T...

No, I didn't smell any exhaust fumes... wish I had though. I was lucky. I believe the intake filter may have picked up most of the noticeable fumes... but I am not sure. When it comes to work, I kind of "zone out" once I start swinging my hydraulic hull scrubbing unit around, I try to concentrate on the work.

This incident happened five or six years ago and I have adjusted accordingly. Live and learn... As far as the "dunking" that one of my hookah units took, I thought the rubber vibration feet on the base of the compressor was sufficient to keep it in place... again, live and learn...

Thanks for the input,

Wayne

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Thanks Wayne for all the helpful advice! I am debating about buying a hookah set up because I have 9 aluminum tanks and I don't want to waste $2,000. Hookah is an awesome idea don't get me wrong but tanks are more user friendly and don't need service like a hookah unit. I really want to get a hookah unit but am a little afraid of getting carbon monoxide poisoning if something went wrong!! Using tanks are much safer in that sense and you can be less conspicuous when looking for valueables underwater. It is much quieter and you can get close to swimmers without them knowing you are there!! The only problem is the weight of each tank and having to fill them up before use!! I have really appreciated your response and hearing about your learning experiences!! Much mahalo to you, oh that means Thanks in Hawaiian!! Aloha ;D

Seaweednh

Feb 3, 2007
Newbury, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ I am debating about buying a hookah set up because I have 9 aluminum tanks and I don't want to waste $2,000. Hookah is an awesome idea don't get me wrong but tanks are more user friendly and don't need service like a hookah unit. I really want to get a hookah unit but am a little afraid of getting carbon monoxide poisoning if something went wrong!! Using tanks are much safer in that sense and you can be less conspicuous when looking for valueables underwater. It is much quieter and you can get close to swimmers without them knowing you are there!! The only problem is the weight of each tank and having to fill them up before use!! I have really appreciated your response and hearing about your learning experiences!! Much mahalo to you, oh that means Thanks in Hawaiian!! Aloha ;D
[/quote]

Just remember, tanks need service too! Forgive for not remembering how long, but tanks need to be hydro tested ever so many years. And as far as carbon monoxide poisoning, you can get bad air as well! Best if you know your dive shop and where their intake is located. There was a dive shop in my area most of us stayed away from for air. His intake was just outside the garage door of his small engine shop, could be a lethal mix. At least with aluminum tanks you won't have the chance of sucking up rust, but if the tank does run dry, water can enter and you can have a corrosion problem ( and legally the tank will need an early hydro) Wayne is a commercial diver, if you look at how often he has needed to service his equipment, even at 2000 hours, that is probally more than a life time for a recreational diver. Both have their pros & cons, ideally, it would be nice to do both.

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Makaha...

Seaweed is correct about the upkeep on scuba gear, tanks etc. The tanks need to be hydro tested every 5 years and they should be visually inspected by the dive shop once a year. The aluminum tanks are really on their way out, the hydro failure rate on these tanks are a lot higher than with steel tanks, they are fine at the beginning of a dive, but boyant at about 1/2 way through the tank, so I don't use them that much anymore. :-\

The new tanks are high pressure tanks, rated at 3500 psi at 100 cubic feet and 120 cubic feet. These tanks last about 20 minutes longer than the standard aluminum 80's and they are heavier so you can take some weight off your weight belt. I set up a pair of double 120's and was down for almost 3 hours, in about 15 feet of water in a fresh water lake upstate Maine. I didn't need a weight belt either. :)

But, I digress...

As I have said before, each system has its' own benefits and disadvantages. One needs to decide which is better for his or her own situation and application. Whatever you decide, buy the best that you can afford. Don't buy something cheap just to save some money. You get what you pay for is still an old addage that certainly applies in your selection of equipment. ;)

Dive safe,

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread