First Spanish Reale !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
ATTACH=CONFIG]992045[/ATTACH]

:laughing7:I have been somewhat hesitant about posting finds, but just have to share this one. Last weekend while detecting a FL Treasure Coast area beach I noticed larger shells and rocks grouping towards the previous high tide line. I know that millions of pounds of sand had recently been dumped on our beaches, so I figured they had been washed up by waves. I figured that maybe some goodies had been washed up too. I started working the tide line with my M6. I had the Whites 950 Eclipse coil on it with no discrimination and the sensitivity at +1 ..................toggle was in "Beach" mode of course. I dug some pull tabs, change, etc and then I got a high tone. It repeated in every direction and my VDI indicated it was a sliver dollar. Of course I figured it was a beer can, but I dig EVERYTHING. About 7-8" down I nailed an in encrusted piece of crud, but when I waved it by my coil I got a 91 on my VDI. I wiped away what I could in the salt water and when I realized what I had I almost fell over. After about 12 hours+ in electrolysis as well a good cleaning with Colgate toothpaste (great for silver) I had a beautiful early 1600's 8 Reale weighing in at 26.7 grams

Attachments

• 8Reale.JPG
    8Reale.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow beautiful find, Congrats!! That's on my bucket list...still looking.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colgate... bold move. Nice find. The cleanup looks very good.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Fantastic find!:notworthy:

I want to find one of those!

Lorraine

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please take some photos that aren't cutting off the bottom and one of each side would be great.
I've seen a lot of reales from the Treasure Coast I'm a lifelong resident that is one rare piece you have there.
Early 1600s would be consistent with the green cabin wreck over by Turtle Trail. And not the rest of the 1715 fleet.
Surely you have some before photos of your first reale find please post those too.
That looks exactly like an Atocha coin.. (1622)
A lot of dynamics goes into where coins like that wind up on a beach.. for a heavy eight like that to wind up high on replenishment sand in a shell line is simply unheard of. something out of the ordinary must have happened.
I personally found several very underweight half reales that do happen to get washed up with the shells on occasion but not heavy(dense) things like that and also taking into account that one does not look like it's been tumbling around in the ocean very much are usually the result of major erosion breaching the dune area and not from being washed up.... It would take some very heavy wave action to accomplish that.. Coins present very little surface area to the water they tend to move in predictable ways... It would be like finding a heavy gold class ring washed up with the shells.... we just have not had that kind of thing for a long time... And you would absolutely not find a piece like that in the same area you're finding pull tabs

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The coin was sold on Wed, but I have a couple of other pics of me holding it. There have been 60,000 - 80,000 tides, 800-1,000 hurricanes and millions of tides since those ships went down. Anything could end up anywhere. 1715 coins have been found as far north as Daytona. Yes - both the Green Cabin wreck and more unlikely, the Atocha has been mentioned as the coin's possible sources.

jws17

Greenie
Sep 9, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab E-Trac
White's Dual Field PI
Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Great find!! Congrats!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why people would do this. That's all I'm going to say.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!
If you think it's a silver target flip the switch forward the tone would be very high.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
"Gator Boy" not really sure what your agenda is here, but if are insinuating that I didn't find it, I did.

The fact that there are no "Dynamics" to explain why that coin ended up where it did, could be because you just don't understand the ocean and the beach as well as you think that you do. Actually, that day I checked your blog and you indicated that conditions were not good ..... interesting....what "Dynamics" came into play when you made that assumption? So basically where you live the laws of physics don't apply? 300-400 years of tides, hurricanes, tropical storms and monster waves could move a ONE OUNCE coin a few hundred miles? Yes I am aware that the Atocha is in the keys .... My cat knows that too. Maybe it's from another ship that sank closer to us from that era ....who knows? The bottom line is that I put my coil over a target and got a solid signal and dug. Just because this is beyond your comprehension, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like many other great hunters before me, I am done with this forum crap. You go run your little "Treasure Coast Report" or whatever the heck it is called and I'll actually hunt the beach and find things.

Well guess what buddy.....Capt Carl Fismer liked it and didn't have any reservations regarding it's origin or resting place. The fact that you actually believe that coins and pulltabs can not be found on the same beach, just goes to show your lack of intellect and that you are basically a miserable person who takes pleasure in ...... well basically doing nothing useful.

Yes please take some photos that aren't cutting off the bottom and one of each side would be great.
I've seen a lot of reales from the Treasure Coast I'm a lifelong resident that is one rare piece you have there.
Early 1600s would be consistent with the green cabin wreck over by Turtle Trail. And not the rest of the 1715 fleet.
Surely you have some before photos of your first reale find please post those too.
That looks exactly like an Atocha coin.. (1622)
A lot of dynamics goes into where coins like that wind up on a beach.. for a heavy eight like that to wind up high on replenishment sand in a shell line is simply unheard of. something out of the ordinary must have happened.
I personally found several very underweight half reales that do happen to get washed up with the shells on occasion but not heavy(dense) things like that and also taking into account that one does not look like it's been tumbling around in the ocean very much are usually the result of major erosion breaching the dune area and not from being washed up.... It would take some very heavy wave action to accomplish that.. Coins present very little surface area to the water they tend to move in predictable ways... It would be like finding a heavy gold class ring washed up with the shells.... we just have not had that kind of thing for a long time... And you would absolutely not find a piece like that in the same area you're finding pull tabs

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working long weeks with extra long days, hope everyone is well, nice recovery indeed. And I may be mistaken but I am fairly certain that gator is not the beach report blog fella.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Very nice. Congrats! I walk the Treasure Coast almost daily. The real is on the top of my list. I would love to see more pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread