Question : Rockaway Beach and Army Engineers

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockaway beach was devastated during Hurricane Sandy here in NYC.

Mountains of sand went as far as several blocks inward onto residential blocks. I was amazed how much sand water can carry onto city residential blocks . :o

Well the Army Engineers will be spreading 3 million cubic yards of sand along the beach over 6.2 miles of beach.

The sand is being dredged from 2 miles off shore . In the end the 100ft wide beach will sit 10 ft above sea level , hoping this will protect beach corrosion from future storms.

As a beach MD here in NYC will this be good for me or bad ?

Here in NYC not many parks to detect in ,plus the regulations are so insane it doesn't pay to even swing at a park.

So for us NYC MD's the beaches are our thing.

As a beach MD here in NYC will this be a good thing or bad thing for me as far as finding stuff ?

I'm thinking not, because nobody swims 2 miles off shore and that's where the sand is coming from. :sad10::'(

Thanks

PS: Well I have the info where they are starting (all bay numbers) and which direction they will be going and the estimated time of completion ,so I can at least stay ahead of them and swing at the beaches they haven't dumped 10ft of sand on yet.

What say you ?

Upvote 0

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they put mesh screening in front of the sand before they bring it onto the beach.
So any long lost buried treasure will most likely get divvied up by the dredging pirates!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should search the residential areas...

OP
OP
R

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they put mesh screening in front of the sand before they bring it onto the beach.
So any long lost buried treasure will most likely get divvied up by the dredging pirates!

WOW..funny you said that..because I was watching them send the sand thru a huge hose and spray it everywhere and I was wondering if there was a mesh in there. I couldn't tell from the TV footage and now I know.

Just plain sucks !

Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
R

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should search the residential areas...

That sand was removed already and Rockaway and Staten Island is where most of the people died. Most of these areas haven't been built back up yet and it wouldn't look good as MD to detect there ,being people died there.

I think it would be frowned upon and possibly looked at as looting.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps with permission from a land owner who survived! Maybe recover and return something they treasured even!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Personal experience says detecting on a replenished beach is HORRIBLE, except for current drops. There are soft spots you will sink into, one beach had so much can slaw it was ridiculous to even try to detect, and another the sand was washed back into the water and covered all the good, older finds that had been coming up.

I think it might be several years or another BIG storm to improve the chances of finding the older lost items. Yea, those tubes are something else. The ones I have seen are 14 inches in diameter and can move on heck of a pile of sand. I have also seen the sand collected in dykes on a parking lot so the sand could be picked up and trucked to other beaches, including fresh water ones.

The only good find I can attribute to sand replenishment was a half dime I found at a fresh water swimming area. It was only about an inch deep in sand under two inches of water at a swimming area hit really hard by many detectorists. If it not the sand replenishment some kid must have been playing in his father's coin collection before going swimming...

OP
OP
R

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal experience says detecting on a replenished beach is HORRIBLE, except for current drops. There are soft spots you will sink into, one beach had so much can slaw it was ridiculous to even try to detect, and another the sand was washed back into the water and covered all the good, older finds that had been coming up.

I think it might be several years or another BIG storm to improve the chances of finding the older lost items. Yea, those tubes are something else. The ones I have seen are 14 inches in diameter and can move on heck of a pile of sand. I have also seen the sand collected in dykes on a parking lot so the sand could be picked up and trucked to other beaches, including fresh water ones.

The only good find I can attribute to sand replenishment was a half dime I found at a fresh water swimming area. It was only about an inch deep in sand under two inches of water at a swimming area hit really hard by many detectorists. If it not the sand replenishment some kid must have been playing in his father's coin collection before going swimming...

This is horrible..just when I'm about to buy the ML3030. The diameter of the hose spraying the sand is way bigger than 14"...more like the size of a manhole cover.

I'll just stay ahead of the work zones then move to other beaches .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread